Working and moving to Oz

Bizzle

Hello,

first of all my name is Joe please to meet you all and thanks for any information you can provide.

Basically i don't know if i am dreaming or if its a possibility. I am wanting/thinking of working and moving to Australia if i can. the only thing is that i don't know to go about it and what i would have to do. I understand i sound dumb and like i haven't done my research but i am no good at reading long page articles or even where to find the right ones! The little information i have heard/know is that you have to have a specific trade to work there? my cousin worked there for a year but she is a doctor so i assume a job there was easy to come by? my friend is going to travel there for a year come december and he said he's got some farm work sorted and is going to free lance it however i don't think i could do that. I have nearly 6 years experience in office work and that would be the sort of job i would want to go and to be honest i wouldn't mind manuel labour but again I'm not sure how easy it would be?

basically to put it in a nutshell how easy would it be for me to sell my house here and pack up my things and leave for Oz to start a new life and live there?

again i apologise if i sound dumb and that sort of thing but trying to grasp how easy/hard it would to pack up things and move across.

Many Thanks.

What is your age, occupation and qualifications.

Just based on what you have said, working in an office, this is unlikely to give you eligibility for an employer or skilled visas.

Your friend sounds like they are going on a working holiday visa and 3 month specified work like farm work they could get a 2nd WHV. But this is temp visa and no path to liking in Australia unless qualify for another visa.

Hello, to be eligible to live & work in australia (both temp or perm) you would need your occupation to be on the list of required occupations (SOL or CSOL). If it is, then you could go down the route of skilled migration (189 or 190 - both permanent skilled visas or 457 - temp skilled visa); provided you could also pass a skills assessment in your nominated occupation. By what you say, I don't think office worker is on any of the lists so skilled migration may not be an option for you (not everyone can follow this route unfortunately) but please check to confirm this.

If you're under 30 years, then you could temporarily live & work in australia via a working holiday visa. This is initially for one year but can be extended for a second year if you do regional work (like on a farm) for a period of (I think) 3 months in your initial 12 months. Please note the WHV is only temporary (mainly used by backpackers), you can only work for the same employer for no more than 6 months & the WHV does not automatically lead to permanent or skilled migration.

I am no expert on visa matters - hopefully someone better informed than myself will come along to help - but this will (hopefully) provide you with a starting point! Google SOL and CSOL and check your occupation is the first step - this will help identify if you're eligible for a skilled migration visa. Good luck!!!

What is your age, occupation and qualifications.

Just based on what you have said, working in an office, this is unlikely to give you eligibility for an employer or skilled visas.

Your friend sounds like they are going on a working holiday visa and 3 month specified work like farm work they could get a 2nd WHV. But this is temp visa and no path to liking in Australia unless qualify for another visa.

I am 24, and I work in an office as an account manager. Qualifications as above just GCSE’s and NVQ level 2 in catering and hospitality.

Yes talking to him he is going on a working holiday.

So I can’t just apply for jobs over there and sell my house here and go over? Ok I understand what you’re saying. The question I ask though it surly must be possible for someone to get office work etc over there? people do it in this country all the time (UK). So basically I have to have a skill to go over and work and potentially permantely live there?

It's not as easy as apply for jobs, sell your house & move.....if it was then we would all have done that as opposed to spending close to £15,000 to go through the skilled visa process, skills assessments, police checks, undertake medicals, professional registration in Australia and move lock, stock & barrel to the other side of the world!! You need to remember that it's Australia and not the UK so it is of no relevance of what's happening in the UK. Australia has a controlled migration policy that is points based and via skills assessment. Without sounding cruel or demeaning to you & your job, australia wants people to fill the gaps it has in certain occupations and experience; almost add value if you like - they have plenty of Australian citizens who can work in an office where there isn't (in the main) the requirement to have lots of qualifications to do so - hopefully I haven't offended you or office workers but it is the reality.

As I've said earlier, not everyone qualifies for a visa to live and work in australia. You could run your circumstances past a registered MARA migration agent, they normally do a free assessment to establish if you qualify for a visa.

Edited by Alant

So I can’t just apply for jobs over there and sell my house here and go over? Ok I understand what you’re saying. The question I ask though it surly must be possible for someone to get office work etc over there? people do it in this country all the time (UK). So basically I have to have a skill to go over and work and potentially permantely live there?

I would suggest as a starter for ten you have a read of this... https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

I am 24, and I work in an office as an account manager. Qualifications as above just GCSE’s and NVQ level 2 in catering and hospitality.

You could go on a working holiday visa also, but your work experience and qualifications are not at a high enough level to become sponsored or eligible for skilled migration, so a 2 year working holiday visa would be best you could go (if do the 3 months specified work in regional area)for unless you re-trained.

If I did the 2 year working holiday what would you advise me to do? Get a job prior to going out and if so what work? And after the 2 year working holiday am I eligible to work permanently or do I have to come back to the UK? One of my relatives said I could do a working holiday for 1-2 years in Oz and then do the same in New Zealand? Is this true?

If I did the 2 year working holiday what would you advise me to do? Get a job prior to going out and if so what work? And after the 2 year working holiday am I eligible to work permanently or do I have to come back to the UK? One of my relatives said I could do a working holiday for 1-2 years in Oz and then do the same in New Zealand? Is this true?

Australia like most countries has immigration control and it is not possible to just sell up and move there. There are various visas available, some depend upon having family members there (spouse, children) and others depend upon work and skilled employment. Based upon what you have said about being in office work (presumably you mean administration, but do say if not) you are not going to qualify for a work related visa.

If you are 30 or under, then yes you could come to Australia on a working holiday visa and yes I believe that New Zealand has something similar. But you would have to leave at the end of it, it doesn't change the requirements for getting a work related visa.

I am an account manager so have various different experience in looking after certain companies in my field of work.

If I applied for the work visa and I went across to work there for a year or so if I built up a relationship with an employer would they be able to apply for me to stay on longer? Even if it’s a different type of work?

I am an account manager so have various different experience in looking after certain companies in my field of work.

If I applied for the work visa and I went across to work there for a year or so if I built up a relationship with an employer would they be able to apply for me to stay on longer? Even if it’s a different type of work?

Highly unlikely! You're not qualified to do much and in order for someone to sponsor you they have to prove that no Aussie can do the job and there are loads of Aussies who could easily do what you do. If you train to be a chartered accountant then just possibly there might be a skerrick of a chance but even they are regularly rumoured to be off the lists.

Unless you you are prepared to do some serious training you'd be better just drawing a line and maybe just taking holidays

Not unless your occupation is on the skilled occupation lists.

I suggest you apply for a Working Holiday Visa - that will let you work and travel in Australia for a year, or two years if you're willing to do some farm work. It's a great experience and will let you discover Australia. That is, honestly, the best you can hope for - you have virtually no hope of being able to emigrate permanently. Even if you found an employer who liked your work, he wouldn't be allowed to sponsor you because your skills are not on the list.

I'm an office worker with much higher qualifications than you. I was lucky - my husband had qualifications so I was able to emigrate with him. I would never have had any chance of doing so myself.

You could retrain in a job that's on the list of jobs wanted by Australia - but you'll have to do the training, then get several years' experience in that job after you qualify, before they will even look at you. That will take a lot of determination and commitment and frankly, if you can't find the commitment to study a few websites about how to migrate, I wonder if you'd have the necessary motivation.

Edited by Marisawright

You say you have nvqs in hospitality do you have any work experience in this area? Chef is on both the sol and csol lists and cafe / restaurant manager is on the csol list. But you need both experience and qualifications. (I. Only have experience so looking to gain a qualification too).

With the csol list you do need sponsorship from either a company 457 temporary visa or 186 & 187 permanent visas, there may be others I just know these three as they are the ones we are looking to apply for.

I would suggest speaking to a MARA registered agent to get the best advice. It may be possible to use the qualifications you have, get some years work experience and then apply. Will take longer but it will be worth the wait.

Do make sure you use a recommended agent there are a lot of expensive horror stories out there!!!