Aged Parent Visa 804

trishenty

My daughter (in NSW), has been advised that she should apply for my visa next time I visit, which will be in January. I have an eVisitor visa, valid for 3 months & she seems to think that once the 804 application is lodged, I can get temporary visas in order to stay in Australia until the application is processed.

I've been trawling the immigration sites and am not 100% convinced.

At 69 I need to be pretty sure of my facts before I pack up my life. There will be no coming back.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but can't find anything on the forum. Please, please can someone help me!

Thank you.

Tricia

There is nothing stopping you doing this..... BUT ..... A tourist visa is only for holiday makers, so if you were stopped at customs and they were suspicious that you were not planning on leaving, you could be refused entry and therefore scupper your plans. You'd need to be very careful. I.e. Have a return ticket, not carrying any documents, still have somewhere to live in the UK.

We will consider this option for my mum but she is very nervous about it going pear shaped so not sure it is worth the chance.

laura

My daughter (in NSW), has been advised that she should apply for my visa next time I visit, which will be in January. I have an eVisitor visa, valid for 3 months & she seems to think that once the 804 application is lodged, I can get temporary visas in order to stay in Australia until the application is processed.

I've been trawling the immigration sites and am not 100% convinced.

At 69 I need to be pretty sure of my facts before I pack up my life. There will be no coming back.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but can't find anything on the forum. Please, please can someone help me!

Thank you.

Tricia

Yes you may pull this off, others have. But you should be aware of the risk and you should be aware that this is not a plan that Australian immigration would approve of, in fact if they knew of your plans you would almost certainly be sent on the next flight home.

So what would happen is that after your tourist visa expires and you have the parent visa application in, you would go onto a bridging visa which would allow you to remain in Australia whilst the application is processed.

The pros of your plan are that you avoid the very expensive visa cost of the contributory parent visa and you get to stay in Australia.

The cons are that:

- you would need to appear to be a genuine tourist or run the risk of being refused admittance. So turning up with your worldly goods and a one way ticket is just not going to cut it

- you will be on a bridging visa for a very long time, about ten years I think for the parent visa application to be processed. During this time you will need to get permission every time you wish to leave the country and return and you will be classed as a temporary residence so access to services such as healthcare will have some restrictions.

- no visa is certian until it is granted and you will be waiting a long time for your visa so it is a long time of uncertainty. If your health changes over those years then you may fail the medical and in that case would need to leave anyway.

You may decide that the risks are worth it, that will be a personal decision. Other people choose to apply for the contributory parent visa which is much quicker and provides the certainty of permanent residency from the start.

Yes you can apply when you are here on a holiday visa as the ages parent visa required you to apply onshore... They would provide a besieging visa until you recieve your visa, dependent on the category (contributory or non). We are doing the same for our parent. I guess the only query immigration would have would be if you apied for a 12minth visitor visa and then reapplied as I believe there are conditions on the longer visitor visas. You would need to look further into the sending of your goods from uk to here, as they require proof of what your bringing and why and if your entering on a visitor visa they would be suspicious. I believe some people need to put their goods in storage and wait for their visa to be simple then send for their goods.

. They would provide a besieging visa until you recieve your visa, dependent on the category (contributory or non). We are doing the same for our parent.

"A besieging visa" - LOL! That's kind of a Freudian slip as some people who've been through the process probably feel like that - because it's several years in limbo, not being able to access services etc. So I trust you've looked into all that before you decided to go with it.

typing on my phone….! ha ha yes Freudin slip. yes it is in limbo, i believe 10-20 years or so until processed. However you do have the option of 'upgrading' during that time should you suddenly win $50,000! lol

I was under the understanding that Private Health care would cover general health should they need it for that duration of time, and anything else is out of pocket?

Yes you can apply when you are here on a holiday visa as the ages parent visa required you to apply onshore... They would provide a besieging visa until you recieve your visa, dependent on the category (contributory or non). We are doing the same for our parent. I guess the only query immigration would have would be if you apied for a 12minth visitor visa and then reapplied as I believe there are conditions on the longer visitor visas. You would need to look further into the sending of your goods from uk to here, as they require proof of what your bringing and why and if your entering on a visitor visa they would be suspicious. I believe some people need to put their goods in storage and wait for their visa to be simple then send for their goods.

I would echo the earlier comments on this thread. Yes, it may be possible to do this, but please do not assume that this is a legitimate use of a visitor visa and that you are not taking a risk.

typing on my phone….! ha ha yes Freudin slip. yes it is in limbo, i believe 10-20 years or so until processed. However you do have the option of 'upgrading' during that time should you suddenly win $50,000! lol

I was under the understanding that Private Health care would cover general health should they need it for that duration of time, and anything else is out of pocket?

Private health insurance in Australia is not the same as private health insurance in the UK. There is ALWAYS an excess, and it can be considerable. There is also an annual limit on each service - once you reach that limit, you have to pay the full cost. To give you an example, I had a spinal operation two years ago. Altogether it cost $35,000 of which my private health insurance covered only $25,000. I needed rehabilitation too - the first couple of months of physio, I got reimbursed $30 for each visit (it cost me $60) - then I hit the limit and I had to pay the full cost for the remaining time.

I'm sure your parents aren't planning a big op but neither was I, and my problem was age-related - as we get older, it's a fact of life that such things are more likely to crop up. You could say they could just go back to the UK if they need an op, but I'm not sure if that's a practical solution - not sure what the rules would be as they would no longer be UK residents, plus would it be realistic to fly halfway round the world when one of them is sick?

They will have to pay the full cost of prescriptions and GP visits too - it would be worth checking what the health fund will pay for those and what the limit is (because most Aussies get those on Medicare so don't have to claim from their health fund, so I don't know what they offer). If your parents are still young-ish it may not be an issue, but elderly people often have regular medications, so the cost can mount up. I was surprised, on arriving in the UK, to find that I can get repeat prescriptions without even seeing a doctor - that doesn't happen in Australia so they'll likely have to see the doctor more often there than at home.

Edited by Marisawright

What is the purpose of the aged parent visa that requires you to be onshore when you apply? I understand you mean concerning the Lon process times and possibility of it being declined down the years? Due to health etc.. Is that correct?

Well the parent might be in Australia on another visa, the investor visa maybe, or maybe they have even been working but ready for retirement.

Or perhaps they have come over for a genuine long holiday and circumstances change and they decide they would like to stay. THe intent is important with the plan to come over on a visitor visa, the intention should be to visit. It is very important that you understand this, because as I have said, it is definitely not ok to fly into Australia on a tourist visa when you have no intention of leaving. If you admitted your intentions to the immigration officer, you should expect to be on the next flight home.

Private health insurance in Australia is not the same as private health insurance in the UK. There is ALWAYS an excess, and it can be considerable. There is also an annual limit on each service - once you reach that limit, you have to pay the full cost. To give you an example, I had a spinal operation two years ago. Altogether it cost $35,000 of which my private health insurance covered only $25,000. I needed rehabilitation too - the first couple of months of physio, I got reimbursed $30 for each visit (it cost me $60) - then I hit the limit and I had to pay the full cost for the remaining time.

I'm sure your parents aren't planning a big op but neither was I, and my problem was age-related - as we get older, it's a fact of life that such things are more likely to crop up. You could say they could just go back to the UK if they need an op, but I'm not sure if that's a practical solution - not sure what the rules would be as they would no longer be UK residents, plus would it be realistic to fly halfway round the world when one of them is sick?

They will have to pay the full cost of prescriptions and GP visits too - it would be worth checking what the health fund will pay for those and what the limit is (because most Aussies get those on Medicare so don't have to claim from their health fund, so I don't know what they offer). If your parents are still young-ish it may not be an issue, but elderly people often have regular medications, so the cost can mount up. I was surprised, on arriving in the UK, to find that I can get repeat prescriptions without even seeing a doctor - that doesn't happen in Australia so they'll likely have to see the doctor more often there than at home.

I genuinely don't know the answers for others.

Are you sure they would have to pay full costs of prescriptions etc? UK does have recipricol health? My daughter when on her bridging visa only paid Medicare rates.

We have no recipricol rights, because of our visa, we have to have full health insurance, but we are unusual.

When we see the Dr. we pay at the moment $70 and claim back $43.

We get prescriptions at the Medicare rate.

It must depend on the level of cover, but my husbands hernia op was fully covered.

Blood tests/ scans X-rays are all at Medicare prices.

See the Dr. every 6 months for repeat prescriptions, but prefer that than just having the script left without checking if anything has changed.

theoretically if you have left England, and have no ties then you are not entitled to NHS, unless you can prove you have moved properly back and cut ties with Australia.

Don't know if any of this helps.

PS, As mentioned by Bungo, should we apply we would be onshore as on the 410 retirement visa, which is no longer available.

Edited by ramot

I need to investigate the healthcare issue too. Thanks for all the comments, it's very helpful.

I feel for you, and for other parents whose children have emigrated, because moving out to Australia to join them is very, very difficult. Unfortunately, you can understand the Australian government's attitude - you've paid all your taxes and NI contributions in Britain but now, you're going to move to Australia where you've never contributed a cent. As you're going to be in Oz until you die, you stand to cost the government a lot of money in medications and aged care. The taxes you pay won't go anywhere near covering what you will cost! So that's why they make it hard, and why they demand such a large amount of money for the Contributory Visa.

Are you sure they would have to pay full costs of prescriptions etc? UK does have recipricol health? My daughter when on her bridging visa only paid Medicare rates.

We have no recipricol rights, because of our visa, we have to have full health insurance, but we are unusual.

When we see the Dr. we pay at the moment $70 and claim back $43.

We get prescriptions at the Medicare rate.

It must depend on the level of cover, but my husbands hernia op was fully covered.

Blood tests/ scans X-rays are all at Medicare prices.

Good point that it could depend on the level of cover - of course the higher the cover, the higher the cost!

Reciprocal rights only apply if you are a British resident. Once you stop being a British resident, then you are not entitled to reciprocal rights (although in practice, how anyone works that out I don't know, so maybe there's a loophole there....).

Surprised to hear you get prescriptions etc at the Medicare rates but as you say, you are on a different kind of visa.

Good point that it could depend on the level of cover - of course the higher the cover, the higher the cost!

Reciprocal rights only apply if you are a British resident. Once you stop being a British resident, then you are not entitled to reciprocal rights (although in practice, how anyone works that out I don't know, so maybe there's a loophole there....).

Surprised to hear you get prescriptions etc at the Medicare rates but as you say, you are on a different kind of visa.

Some sort of special agreement on our visa. We have to quote a special no.

ref. recipricol I can only assume when you go onto the bridging visa while waiting for PR you are entitled.

My son was on a bridging visa for 3 1/2 years with Medicare, while waiting for PR.

Daughter was on WHV/then bridging visa for 820/801, has had health issues while on her bridging visa, had hospital treatment with no problems at all with Medicare.

Edited by ramot

The other catch about the reciprocal medical coverage is that it isn't universal - so if a procedure is deemed elective by them as make the decisions - in your eyes it may be absolutely essential they will tell you o return home to get it done! It's only reciprocal for necessary medical intervention (I remember someone on one of these boards being gobsmacked that a biopsy for something potentially awful was elective - fortunately they had private health cover