Even Australia high commission in London, are unsure if experience as an apprentice is counted

Robwilliams1983

Phoned the Australian High Commission in London as seen so many conflicting posts about whether experience whilst an apprentice (working 20+ hours a week & 1 day at college) can be counted as relevant work experience.

They didn't even seem to know themselves and said that it is not even clear on their website. Although I thought it was!

Be interesting to hear if any people did have their apprentice time included as relevant work experience, for the purpose of points.

Phoned the Australian High Commission in London as seen so many conflicting posts about whether experience whilst an apprentice (working 20+ hours a week & 1 day at college) can be counted as relevant work experience.

They didn't even seem to know themselves and said that it is not even clear on their website. Although I thought it was!

Be interesting to hear if any people did have their apprentice time included as relevant work experience, for the purpose of points.

If your questions relates to employment experience counting for points on a skilled visa, it must be “skilled employment”. There is extensive Migration Policy defining what is considered “skilled employment”.

I am surprised you have seen so many conflicting posts on this. I thought it was universally accepted that pre qualification experience should not be included in work experience. There may technically be exceptions but that is certainly a safe rule of thumb that most would abide by.

The Australian commission in London are not there to provide guidance on detailed visa rules. You would need to consult a migration agent if you want to get any kind of official advice.

I am surprised you have seen so many conflicting posts on this. I thought it was universally accepted that pre qualification experience should not be included in work experience. There may technically be exceptions but that is certainly a safe rule of thumb that most would abide by.

The Australian commission in London are not there to provide guidance on detailed visa rules. You would need to consult a migration agent if you want to get any kind of official advice.

I'm also surprised you've seen many saying it counts. In MOST cases it doesn't.

​I contacted the TRA to get their opinion, as they are the organisation that the DIBP consider in regards to points advice in regards to my nominated occupation. Their response is as below.

Generally an apprenticeship period would not be counted towards calculating skilled employment. For the purpose of points advice, TRA would consider you skilled from the date your comparable award was issued. For example if you obtained and NVQ 2 or 3 in the UK in 2005, your employment would be calculated from this date.

Some applicants may have been issued with an AQF qualification recently through a recognition of prior learning (RPL) process, for example a Vetassess assessment.

Skilled employment prior to the issuance of an AQF qualification via recognition of prior learning may be recognised if the employment: is directly related to the nominated occupation, commenced after the applicant’s 16th birthday, covers no less than six years of full-time (or equivalent) paid employment, three years of which may be as a trainee under the direct supervision of a tradesperson/employer (such as your apprenticeship period) with an additional three years full-time (or equivalent) paid employment completed at the required skill level for the occupation. So again, from the time your apprenticeship is completed is when you would be considered skilled.

Skilled employment undertaken after the issuance of an AQF qualification will also be considered for points advice. I understand this information can be confusing. If you have any further enquiries you may call us on the TRA hotline Phone 1300 360 992 or reply via email for clarification. Further information can be found in the TRA Migration Points Advice Applicant Guidelines.

Edited by Robwilliams1983