British passport - new or not?

Emma Newby

Moving in January and our British passports expire in September 2016. Is it worth getting new passports before we go? I'd have thought it would be but I'm terrified our visa won't transfer and we will get stuck at immigration for hours before it's sorted and then we will be on 'border force' or something and I don't want to be on the telly :arghh:

I've always had this at the back of my mind when the time comes for me - to renew my UK Passport. I think I will be renewing my passport - just so I can get those extra years on it. I am hoping to be on an Australian Passport from 4 years of when I touch down in Aus though!

Moving in January and our British passports expire in September 2016. Is it worth getting new passports before we go? I'd have thought it would be but I'm terrified our visa won't transfer and we will get stuck at immigration for hours before it's sorted and then we will be on 'border force' or something and I don't want to be on the telly :arghh:

Use form 929 from the DIBP website to tell them the new numbers, and carry both assports with you just in case.

Renew the UK passports but make sure you inform Immi of the new numbers and as suggested, carry both. We checked in at Heathrow with our daughter for our flights to Merlbourne and she had no visa in her new passport as they had not transferred it. We weren't carrying her old one so they had to make a phone call to the Immigration Office in Australia to confirm she could travel.

I'd renew the passports as its far less hassle to do it while still there.

And as has been said, you fill out the correct form and submit it and they will attach the visa to your new passport number etc.

Carry cancelled and new one then to be safe.

If you have the log in details for your immiaccount you can do the change of passport details online through that.

I did it for my wife, it takes two minutes for the form and another minute to upload the scan of the passport data page.

Once it's done the new passport number is active with your visa straight away.