Citizenship waiting times

bwatt99

I have been here Currently for 2 yrs and I qualify for citizenship from June next year yes three years I will have been in oz,after being told and reading up about I called them to confirm and I could apply then.

my question is how long did you wait from applying to becoming citizen?does this depend on state,area you live etc I'm in wa.

just out of interest what sort of paper work is required for this application?

i am also considering a move back to UK unless things change or get better for me here,and was hoping I can stick it out till after I get citizenship which as said would be less than 12 months now when I can apply,but it's financially can I stay that long and wait that long till I get it,is it worth holding on for and why.

my wife and kid will not be able to apply till the following year as on a different visa which is annoying as been nice if we all got it ASAP.

is there any issues have citizenship from UK as well as here as I heard not a lot of countries do this dual citizenship.

are there any advantage of having this when wife and kid will not?if we thought moving back to UK was a mistake and wanted back to oz with me having citizenship will this make things more easy for a return,what happens with pr visa if we did not get citizenship and returned do they expire and that's the end of that or say we was in UK and pr was about to expire can we apply for another then another ie keep it going and always having that option of a return.

i believe the likes of citizenship you need to have continuous stayed in oz and if we returned and came back years later would start all over again for applying for citizenship.

if we are still here we have little one on way and would become Australian citizen,but seem a bit of a mess I might have if stay here long enough,new born will gain from birth but wife and other kid will not.

seems a long way off for me applying for citizenship and even longer for wife etc and wondering if it's even worth it.

seems if I or we all had it all we spent and did to get here would not have all been a complete waste and cause the government changes the rules so much it may become harder.

i did read that they was looking to charge people 50,000 for citizenship lol and the way I see it once you have it surely that it,where as rules could change it becomes harder to get.

how long did it take you guys from applying to citizenship.

In order to gain citizenship, you need to have held a visa for 4 years. At least one of them must have been as a PR. You must not have been out of the country more than a total of 12 months in that 4 years. You must also not have been out of the country more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to applying.

There is no issue with having both UK and Australian citizenship.

Once the travel section of your PR expires, you would be easily able to get another 5 year resident return visa - fairly quick and cheap to arrange. However, it is difficult to say if they would grant anything after that. I have seen people manage to get another one year RRV and other not.

Once citizenship is granted it never expires - you could go away for the next 50 years and still be entitled to an Australian passport.

The current costs of citizenship is a few hundred dollars per person. Is it worth it? If you think you are going to leave, then it depends on if you think you might one day want to return? If you have children then I would say def get it, so they at least have the option. But if you think you are not ever going to want to come back, then I don't see the point.

The waiting times vary a lot by council. We applied and went through the immigration side of things - application, interview and test within a couple of months from date of application. However, we then had to wait 3 months for the council to do the ceremony.

I'm a holder of a PR visa for 4 years the following August but due to the initial entry occurred nearly 6 months after the grant I still have to wait 6 more month before being eligible of applying for citizenship.

Why are wife and children on another visa??? Should be PR's as well as a family unit.

I'm a holder of a PR visa for 4 years the following August but due to the initial entry occurred nearly 6 months after the grant I still have to wait 6 more month before being eligible of applying for citizenship.

Why are wife and children on another visa??? Should be PR's as well as a family unit.

The reason wife and kid is on another visa i had my visa and was granted before kid was born and before i met wife and they we applied for there visa thats why they are under another visa.as i validated my visa and then went back to uk this was all before meeting wife i was told by several on here and other forums and called to find out i can apply from june 2016 three years after moving here.

In order to gain citizenship, you need to have held a visa for 4 years. At least one of them must have been as a PR. You must not have been out of the country more than a total of 12 months in that 4 years. You must also not have been out of the country more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to applying.

There is no issue with having both UK and Australian citizenship.

Once the travel section of your PR expires, you would be easily able to get another 5 year resident return visa - fairly quick and cheap to arrange. However, it is difficult to say if they would grant anything after that. I have seen people manage to get another one year RRV and other not.

Once citizenship is granted it never expires - you could go away for the next 50 years and still be entitled to an Australian passport.

The current costs of citizenship is a few hundred dollars per person. Is it worth it? If you think you are going to leave, then it depends on if you think you might one day want to return? If you have children then I would say def get it, so they at least have the option. But if you think you are not ever going to want to come back, then I don't see the point.

The waiting times vary a lot by council. We applied and went through the immigration side of things - application, interview and test within a couple of months from date of application. However, we then had to wait 3 months for the council to do the ceremony.

Hi.

ive looked into resident rerurn visas and on the immi australia website it says you can get a return visa if your in Australia for 2 of the 5 years. do you know if that is 2 years in total and also if that could be the first 2 years of the 5 and you could be absent for the other 3 or would you need to have been in Australia more recent?

You should allow about 3-6 months for the citizenship process to complete, so that keeps you here 18 months. Having it keeps the options open of course, even if wife and other child don't have it, means you could always sponsor them again, should they not be able to get a RRV much further down the line and child is still dependent.

As to whether you should bother, well we did and are glad we did, but then we were always happy in Australia and things generally went well for us. We won't move back any time soon, but we will and we look forward to it one day.

I am not convinced it is worth the wait for citizenship if it is financially crippling you at the moment and if you dont have good memories and don't think you will move back one day. Curse of the migrant, once it is there as an open door it can niggle, maybe the only way to truly move on is to slam the door shut.

Hi.

ive looked into resident rerurn visas and on the immi australia website it says you can get a return visa if your in Australia for 2 of the 5 years. do you know if that is 2 years in total and also if that could be the first 2 years of the 5 and you could be absent for the other 3 or would you need to have been in Australia more recent?

The rules on RRV seem to be interpreted very discretionary. I have seen a number of people on here granted RRV who were a LONG way beyond the letter of the regulation. But there is no guarantee. Also, the regulations can change at any time.