Moving to oz while still working for UK company in Qatar

kirksummers

hello all at pomsinoz

here is my situation, any inforamtion and advice on this greatly appreciated!

i am soon to be getting my 189 visa, my family and i intend to move over to perth around January 2016

i currently work for a UK company but actualy always work in Qatar

when we move to oz in January i am hoping to continue working in Qatar for the UK comapny, is this ok?

i could continue to get paid in to my UK account and transfer the money to oz, but eventually get paid in to my oz account direct once i have everything set up, is this also ok?

thanks in advance for any help on this!

kind regards, kirk

The government of Australia don't have any rules about who you work for and what bank account you get paid into, so this is up to you.

But the main point you have not mentioned is tax. You need to establish where you are tax resident, which may very well be Australia but also could be Qatar (but is definitely not UK) and if you are tax resident in Australia then your employer needs to administer Australian payroll.

I would suggest you need to speak to an accountant about your situation, someone who can go through the details properly.

The only issue I can see is gaining citizenship. To get citizenship you must not have been out of the country for more than 12 months in the preceeding 4 years and not more than 90 days in the 12 months prior to application.

Be be aware as well that Oz does not have the equivalent of non Dom tax status the same as the UK and so you will be taxed on earnings if you are regarded as resident in Australia. If your family are in oz, it would be very hard to say you are not.

Thank you for your responses

I am currently a UK tax payer, I do not pay any tax to Qatar as I am just working there, travelling back to UK on my time off

I aim to work for this UK company while living in Australia, flying from Australia to Qatar for my work.

At first I would continue to pay UK tax I guess, until I transfer my pay to my Australia bank account as soon as possible

I am aware of the restrictions regarding being in/out of the country when applying for citizenship, nearer that time I could easily have an Australian employer, working in Australia, so hopefully should be no issue there

Any more information and thoughts really appreciated, keep it coming

Best regards, Kirk

Thank you for your responses

I am currently a UK tax payer, I do not pay any tax to Qatar as I am just working there, travelling back to UK on my time off

I aim to work for this UK company while living in Australia, flying from Australia to Qatar for my work.

At first I would continue to pay UK tax I guess, until I transfer my pay to my Australia bank account as soon as possible

I am aware of the restrictions regarding being in/out of the country when applying for citizenship, nearer that time I could easily have an Australian employer, working in Australia, so hopefully should be no issue there

Any more information and thoughts really appreciated, keep it coming

Best regards, Kirk

Sorry but what you are saying is doomed to get you into trouble with the tax authorities. You cannot just chose to pay tax where you please whilst you sort out a bank account. Tax isn't optional, which country you pay it to isn't optional and tax authorities are rarely forgiving. When your family home ceases to be in the UK and instead becomes Australia, then you will certainly cease to be UK resident and you will probably be Australian resident or possibly Qatar resident.

You need to look into this, determine where you are resident and follow tax rules properly from day one, not from when is convenient for you. Unless you want a whole lot of trouble from ATO that is. Get an accountant and plan this out before you move not after.

OK Thank you Bungo

This is the kind of information I was needing to know

I will follow your advice and speak to an accountant and aim to get paid to my Australian account (and pay Australian tax) immediately upon arriving there

Regards, Kirk

Once you've established a primary residence or family become resident in Australia, then you become liable for the Aussie tax immediately. Even if you don't pay it at source because you are working in the Middle East, you will need to pay it in your annual tax declaration in Australia. It's the kind of thing that you might get away with, but if you didn't you'd be in a whole heap of ****.

As an Aussie Citizen or PR, its a challenge in itself becoming a non resident tax payer if you are an expat in the Middle East (it's possible, but not clear cut and straightforward like the UK).