Aged Parents with existing medical conditions

Booney25

I have trawled through the website and come across loads of helpful info (slightly confusing due to the visa classes but I'll get it!), however I am unable to find all the answers so wondered if someone can help! This is probably going to be all over the place!

Background: I really want my parents (both 65 and 70) to move over here (we are permanent residents of 7 years), I have one brother in Ireland so we meet the 50/50 classification. However, their main concern is medical expenses. My mother had her bowel explode about 3 years ago and now has a bag and she keeps saying that she won't get any medical assistance (even though she hasn't actually asked anyone - typical mum). My father has type 2 diabetes and had colon cancer about 2 years ago - all clear now.

I don't think that they can afford the CPV fees as I cannot actually find the correct fee structure and process anywhere. So I have been looking down the route of a tourist visa and applying for an aged parent visa when they are over here and, hopefully if we get the right visa, a bridging visa to cover until the APV is approved.

• Do they get medicare when they get their bridging visa granted and can they apply for seniors cards etc, will her condition be covered i.e. the bags she needs each week?
  • Can they, once the bridging visa is granted, sell their UK house and purchase a property in OZ?
  • What happens with their pension, can they transfer it here and are they eligible for an Aussie one?
  • What is the cost structure and timeline for the CAPV?
  • What is the cost structure and timeline for the APV?
  • What is the correct holiday visa they need to come out on if they want to apply for an APV once they are here?

Most of this stuff has probably been covered all over this site however, it would be nice to see if someone can answer them here.

Thanks

They really need to talk to an agent who specializes in medical conditions - George Lombard and Peter Bollard are the two most usually mentioned in this regard. They may not be eligible for a visa if their health care costs to the community are going to be too high. They won't be getting an Aus pension - not for 10 years at least and even then it's a means tested low income age benefit rather than the "pension" - UK pensions are frozen at the date you move, no idea about Irish pensions.

If if they hold an Australian Medicare card then she may be entitled to get some subsidised supplies under the Stoma scheme http://www.humanservices.gov.au/health-professionals/services/stoma-appliance-scheme/

They shouldnt travel to Australia on a tourist visa if they intend to stay - tourist visas are for holidays and if they say they intend to stay they will be sent right back.

Visa fees here https://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/fees-charges/visa.aspx. Ball park around $100k for two.

http://migrateoz.com/downloads/3_ParentMigration.pd

The address above is for the complete Australian government booklet on Parent Migration, and I copied one page from the report which might be relevant to your situation.

Parent

Part 1: General information

Important considerations

The migration process for a parent can mean significant personal, cultural and social

upheaval for both the parent and the sponsor’s family. Following are some key

considerations that may affect your decision as to whether or not to apply for a parent

visa and, if so, what type of parent visa.

Financial planning

The Australian Government recommends that parent migration and its alternatives be

fully discussed. In particular, long-term financial planning should be undertaken by

parents and their families, especially with their sponsors, before a parent visa

application is lodged.

Compared to many countries, the cost of living in Australia is high and the Government

expects parent migrants to be financially self-sufficient and for sponsors to assist their

parents, especially if they are in Australia, for the duration of the processing of their visa

application. Depending on the category of visa applied for, the time frame requiring

financial self-sufficiency and/or sponsor support can be a protracted period.

Considerations should cover not only the visa application charges, but also medical and

pharmaceutical costs, private health and travel insurance. Unless they are a citizen of a

country with which Australia has a reciprocal agreement, parent visa applicants in

Australia will have no access to health or welfare benefits for the entire period they await

a decision on their parent visa application. After visa grant, parent visa holders will be

eligible for Medicare but, like most new migrants, will have a 2-year exclusion period

from other government entitlements and will have a 10-year wait before being eligible

for an Australian aged or disability pension.

Cost

•A

parent category

visa is the lower cost/longer wait option.

•A

contributory parent category

visa is the higher cost/shorter wait option.

• The costs of a

visa can be staggered over a temporary

to permanent 2-visa process provided you apply for the corresponding permanent

contributory parent category visa while you are still the holder of a temporary

contributory parent category visa.

– The Assurance of Support (AoS) and payment of AoS bond is not required at time

of grant of the temporary contributory parent category visa, only at time of grant of

the permanent contributory parent category visa.

– A portion of the second instalment of the visa application charge (2nd VAC) for a

permanent visa is paid at time of temporary visa grant and the remaining portion

of the 2nd VAC will be paid at time of permanent visa grant. However, the

remaining 2nd VAC payment for the permanent

visa

will be based on the lodgement date of your permanent visa application.

Consequently, the 2nd VAC will have been subject to annual adjustments (ie.

indexation) since you were granted the temporary

contributory parent

category

visa.

For details on costs associated with parent visas, see form 990i

Charges,

which is

available from the department’s website

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms

I guess the 143 visa is the one you will want, although there is also the 173 visa, which I think does the same thing but in two stages?

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx

I have trawled through the website and come across loads of helpful info (slightly confusing due to the visa classes but I'll get it!), however I am unable to find all the answers so wondered if someone can help! This is probably going to be all over the place!

Background: I really want my parents (both 65 and 70) to move over here (we are permanent residents of 7 years), I have one brother in Ireland so we meet the 50/50 classification. However, their main concern is medical expenses. My mother had her bowel explode about 3 years ago and now has a bag and she keeps saying that she won't get any medical assistance (even though she hasn't actually asked anyone - typical mum). My father has type 2 diabetes and had colon cancer about 2 years ago - all clear now.

I don't think that they can afford the CPV fees as I cannot actually find the correct fee structure and process anywhere. So I have been looking down the route of a tourist visa and applying for an aged parent visa when they are over here and, hopefully if we get the right visa, a bridging visa to cover until the APV is approved.

• Do they get medicare when they get their bridging visa granted and can they apply for seniors cards etc, will her condition be covered i.e. the bags she needs each week?

• Can they, once the bridging visa is granted, sell their UK house and purchase a property in OZ?

• What happens with their pension, can they transfer it here and are they eligible for an Aussie one?

• What is the cost structure and timeline for the CAPV?

• What is the cost structure and timeline for the APV?

• What is the correct holiday visa they need to come out on if they want to apply for an APV once they are here?

Most of this stuff has probably been covered all over this site however, it would be nice to see if someone can answer them here.

Thanks

- They would not get full Medicare no, only reciprocal cover. With the conditions mentioned, I think it would be very risky to make do with reciprocal cover for a long period of time.

- Yes they could do that, they could do that now if they wanted. There is no bar to foreign investors in Australian property, a few hoops to jump through but definitely legally possible.

- They can transfer their pension payments, like many pensioners do. But why on earth do you think someone could come to Australia on a tourist visa and claim a pension off taxpayers! And in any case the Australian pension is not universal, it is a means tested benefit for older people.

- I believe contributory parent visas are 18 months and non contributory ones takes some decades.

- There is no correct "holiday visa" to arrive on in order to lodge. What you are suggesting is high risk / dodgy and if there are any suspicions about this plan at immigration desk then they could be sent back on the next plane.

Just picking up on what someone else has said, are you sure this is really what they want? I wonder if mum is trying to put you off with the medical concerns she has expressed. And note that they would do a medical quite early on and if they do not pass it, they won't even get into the queue for the visa.