Bioinformatics : Skilled Occupation List?

joshbay84

One of my friend has a Masters degree in Bioinformatics, when I look for it in the SOL, cannot find any exact match. The closest I see is Biomedical Engineer. However, she does not have an "Engineering" degree, but has "Masters of Science" in Bioinformatics. Is she still eligible?

Bioinformatics is nothing like biomedical engineering sorry. Bioinformatics is not a science in need in Australia anymore and hasn't for the past 6 or so years. We send most of our research to Singapore and NZ. There are only 2 departments really naitoonwide that are speciality departments and they have less than 8 bioinformaticians in each. Not a demand for immigrants. The only way in is to get offered a post doctoral research position but those institutes require an extremely high level of international recognition for these positions. So my suggestion is to go to the next ISMB conference and seek out people from WEHI, HFI or UQ

Bioinformatics is nothing like biomedical engineering sorry. Bioinformatics is not a science in need in Australia anymore and hasn't for the past 6 or so years. We send most of our research to Singapore and NZ. There are only 2 departments really naitoonwide that are speciality departments and they have less than 8 bioinformaticians in each. Not a demand for immigrants. The only way in is to get offered a post doctoral research position but those institutes require an extremely high level of international recognition for these positions. So my suggestion is to go to the next ISMB conference and seek out people from WEHI, HFI or UQ

Thank you for the valuable information, appreciate the same. I just looked up for Bioinformatics in NZ LTSSL and could not find any match there too - strange.

Thank you for the valuable information, appreciate the same. I just looked up for Bioinformatics in NZ LTSSL and could not find any match there too - strange.

Whilst there are jobs in NZ there is not sufficient for immigration. The ones I have seen outside unis require NZ citizenship

• 2 weeks later...
One of my friend has a Masters degree in Bioinformatics, when I look for it in the SOL, cannot find any exact match. The closest I see is Biomedical Engineer. However, she does not have an "Engineering" degree, but has "Masters of Science" in Bioinformatics. Is she still eligible?

Hi Josh

There's no way anyone here will be able to conclude whether she is eligible or not, based on the title of her awards (degrees).

If your friend is serious about migrating, it may be time for her to contact a registered migration agent who has expertise in the area which she is qualified in. As you can see, there is no easy visual match in her case...

Regards

Peter

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Even i am a Bioinformatics graduate and currently working as ICT Business Analyst. Can you please suggest if you were able to figure out a solution for immigration to Australia. Which skill do you suggest me to choose while applying for PR in Australia.

Regards,

KT

Bioinformatics is more related to using computational tools to solve biological problems in particular genome analysis so you could try one of the 'life science' occupations. Dont think its on the SOL though- May be worth investigating if state sponsorship is available?