Letter from UK parent in support of son's Partner Visa application in Australia

Guest guest107891

Guest guest107891

Hi all

My son and his girlfriend are applying for a de facto partner visa in Australia for him on the basis of their relationship. He is in Australia at the moment on the second year of a WHV.

They would like me to write a letter about my knowledge, acceptance and support of their relationship as part of their evidence for social acceptance. I was wondering if anyone knows what format this should take and most importantly, who do I have to get it witnessed by in the UK to make sure it is valid acceptable by the visa authorities in Australia. I live in London so should I go to the Australian Embassy to have someone sign it?

Many thanks for any help

Mary :)

You don't need to do that and you certainly don't need to go to the Australian Embassy- I am not sure they would sign anything for you anyway.

All they really need is documented proof of their long term relationship. Bills, joint rent payments/ lease etc will be enough.

However, if you want to write the letter then just speak from a personal perspective and your knowledge of their time together.

Guest guest107891

Hi Sammy1 - many thanks for your reply.

So I don't in fact need to get my letter witnessed by anyone and it will be acceptable as evidence you believe?

You can use form 888 (doesn't matter if you are not an Australian citizen) and get it witnessed by a solicitor (my friend wrote me one and walked into a solictors who signed it for a fiver)

Yes. Have a look at form 888 - it meantions on there that if you are not Australian or a PR that you can still write a statement but it still be signed by the equilavent authority (like a notary public). You certainly don't have to go to an embassy.

my partners British parents wrote about:

1. When they met me

2. When my partner and I moved in together

3. How they witnessed us as a couple - and could see clearly we were in a loving relationship

4. How I had become part of the family

5. How I'd spent Christmas and other occasions with them and often visited them with my partner

6. Our plans when we were in australia, how they new we wanted to purchase a house

that type of thing...it can be typed or handwritten on a bit of paper. I can't remember how they addressed it, something like to whome it may concern or something!

You don't need to do that and you certainly don't need to go to the Australian Embassy- I am not sure they would sign anything for you anyway.

All they really need is documented proof of their long term relationship. Bills, joint rent payments/ lease etc will be enough.

However, if you want to write the letter then just speak from a personal perspective and your knowledge of their time together.

Stat decs and statements about relationships can really help as they show that the partner is now part of the extended family, they all share lives/hopes/wishes even if living at a distance. Can be a big help at the first stage especially when many new couples find it hard to show a lot of evidence of shared lives. My husband's berother did one for us, talked about how my husband kept mentioning me in conversation ages before we got together so he just knew it was going to happen!!