wanting to go to oz on a WHV in hope of staying permanently.

SophiaDickson

So me and my boyfriend or both 21 and live in England. We will finish University next year and the plan is to move to Australia. This has bee the plan all along and we have been saving for a long time for this and so are very prepared. Basically once we have finished our degree next year were wanting to get a WHV and move over to Melbourne in hope of getting sponsored and staying there permanently.

My boyfriend has studied sport and has all the relevant licenses within football coaching and so wants to work as a soccer coach when we move to Melbourne. I will have a Law degree but to be honest Im not quite sure on what I want to do. We are hoping it will be my boyfriend with his soccer coaching that might get a sponsorship.

Can anyone advise me on this or let me know if there are any other ways of staying permanently after our WHV, we are willing to do whatever, we don't want to come back once we get there!

Thank you.

Serious advice? Come here for a couple of years on your WHV's, see if you actually like it first. Have fun, explore and travel.

In the meanwhile, no harm in approaching a migration agent who can tell you if sports coaching (without any real experience) is on any list.

Hi Sammy, thanks for the reply.

My boyfriend does have a lot of experience with his sports coaching, he actually works part time for a coaching company along his University studies and he manages his own childrens football team on a volunteer basis and also volunteers in primary schools occasionally to help with PE sessions, so hopefully all this will be a help to him. As for his occupation being on the SOL lists, if it isn'ton any list but somebody offered him a sponsored job whilst we are over there, would this work or not?

We've been to australia quite a bit because his brother moved to Perth a few years ago, and whilst we were there we were having a look at what jobs were on offer in his occupation and there was a lot! So i don't think would have trouble finding work in his profession its just the sponsorship bit that might be slightly harder.

Thanks.

Hi Sammy, thanks for the reply.

My boyfriend does have a lot of experience with his sports coaching, he actually works part time for a coaching company along his University studies and he manages his own childrens football team on a volunteer basis and also volunteers in primary schools occasionally to help with PE sessions, so hopefully all this will be a help to him. As for his occupation being on the SOL lists, if it isn'ton any list but somebody offered him a sponsored job whilst we are over there, would this work or not?

We've been to australia quite a bit because his brother moved to Perth a few years ago, and whilst we were there we were having a look at what jobs were on offer in his occupation and there was a lot! So i don't think would have trouble finding work in his profession its just the sponsorship bit that might be slightly harder.

Thanks.

I think you will have a fantastic time when you come here, but experience such as managing a children's football team whilst at uni and volunteering at a school (as great as it is) is unlikely to count.

Speak with a migration agent who could perhaps help you formulate a plan.

Good luck with your travels though.

Well we will defiantly try! Were going to try everything we can, he's just got his UEFA B licence which is a really high licence to have and is highly sought after so he's doing everything he can to make himself stand out, but if non of this works, is there other options available to be able to stay after we have completed our WHV. Studying or is there anything else, I looked at his brother sponsoring him but his brother lives in Perth so I don't think he is able to.

Definitely speak to a registered migration agent so that you can get advice as to what options you both might have. As you will have a law degree, one possibility might be using your WHV to pursue admission as an Australian lawyer while you are here on the WHV.(you will have more courses and study and training to do, but lawyers are currently on the SOL, so it might open up some possibilities for you.. though I note that you are undecided about what you want to do... and yes it can be difficult for foreign law graduates to get legal jobs in Australia.) A migration agent will help you look at all options which may be open to you both.

Definitely speak to a registered migration agent so that you can get advice as to what options you both might have. As you will have a law degree, one possibility might be using your WHV to pursue admission as an Australian lawyer while you are here on the WHV.(you will have more courses and study and training to do, but lawyers are currently on the SOL, so it might open up some possibilities for you.. though I note that you are undecided about what you want to do... and yes it can be difficult for foreign law graduates to get legal jobs in Australia.) A migration agent will help you look at all options which may be open to you both.

Thank you, I will defiantly look into what I might be able to do with my law degree and Im going to get in touch with an agent.

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you, I will defiantly look into what I might be able to do with my law degree and Im going to get in touch with an agent.

Thanks for the advice!

Definitely look into it, but most importantly take some advice, as a law degree in the UK is likely to need units added to it here.

Just checked his occupation is on the CSOL list! under other sports coach and instructor. so thats good.

Trouble is, that is not his occupation. He is studying or will be a brand new graduate and that might be his desired occupation but the Australian work related visas nearly always require full time, paid, work experience.

I think your chances of pulling this off as new graduates are remote. If you were patient, I would suggest working on your careers for a couple of years in the UK first to get some experience behind you and save up the WHV to use later on when you have a much better chance of securing a sponsorship whilst you are in Australia.

If you don't want to wait though, just be prepared to have to come back afterwards and have a great extended holiday. Or do some regional work to earn yourself a second WHV, which you could use after a few years stint in the UK getting the work experience.

Well we will defiantly try! Were going to try everything we can, he's just got his UEFA B licence which is a really high licence to have and is highly sought after so he's doing everything he can to make himself stand out, but if non of this works, is there other options available to be able to stay after we have completed our WHV. Studying or is there anything else, I looked at his brother sponsoring him but his brother lives in Perth so I don't think he is able to.

Tbh while his job is technically on the CSOL you will seriously struggle to find sponsorship for 2 reasons:

1) They are hard to obtain and usually require lots of full-time paid experience

2) You would only secure it while working for said sponsor - you wont get sponsorship by just asking they would want to see you work. It is highly unlikely he would get the kind of job he want on a WHV. WHVs are aim at traveller to do bar work etc.

Plus you can only work for each employer for 6 month on a WHV - not really long enough to convince sponsorship.

Your best bet is work properly and gain experience in the uk after graduation - and apply for a permanent resident visa when you are eligible.

Tbh while his job is technically on the CSOL you will seriously struggle to find sponsorship for 2 reasons:

1) They are hard to obtain and usually require lots of full-time paid experience

2) You would only secure it while working for said sponsor - you wont get sponsorship by just asking they would want to see you work. It is highly unlikely he would get the kind of job he want on a WHV. WHVs are aim at traveller to do bar work etc.

Plus you can only work for each employer for 6 month on a WHV - not really long enough to convince sponsorship.

Your best bet is work properly and gain experience in the uk after graduation - and apply for a permanent resident visa when you are eligible.

A measure of scepticism is good; however, you are young enough to throw caution to the wind and go for it. I secured a 457 visa in 2012 before graduating and still being in the UK from a job advertised on seek.com.au; had a blast living in Brisbane for 15 months. A friend of mine recently went out on a WHV, found a job in his field and is now being sponsored for a 457. He is in the computer games industry, but he did have a few years work experience in the UK first.

You're young, enthusiastic and if you work hard out there I think you could make it happen. Worst case scenario, your dreams don't come to fruition but you have great time living and working in Melbourne and you make loads of contacts in your relevant fields.

Good luck!

Hi Sophia,

I did go that route myself, and I'm now at the final stage of my PR application.

Your plans sound good, but you will have a few obstacles to keep in ming:

1) You are far away from age 25, which is when you get the maximum points for Skilled Migration

2) You have very little Skilled employment experience. As a graduate, you could be battling with local graduates who have had lots of networking opportunities.

3) WHV is a strain when you are planning to apply for PR as you always have financial pressures from the cost of necessary documents and the 6 months work right limitation.

On the other hand, you could secure Employer sponsorship if you are assessed positively for your skills (coaching) and willing to follow a job in a "remote" location.

I know most people rush to Queensland or NSW or VIC, but WA is a pretty amazing state too, with great salaries, healthy lifestyle, and numerous opportunities as the workers are constantly on the move.

All in all, it will depend on where you choose to settle prior to obtaining your PR, I think...