Psychology Assessment skilled migrant 189

adele

Hi everyone,

I have a BSc Psychology degree and a Masters in Forensic Psychology. Following this I completed two years of practice in the prison service psychology department in the UK but left to work elsewhere before completing the requirements for chartership as a Forensic Psychologist.

I understand that in order to move forward with a skilled migration subclass 189 visa application, the Australian Psychological Society need to assess my skills to see if my qualifications are equivalent to 6 years of study required in Australia.

What I am not clear on is whether or not to meet this APS standard do I need to be chartered or is the combined total of my study and employment in this field (4 years study and 2 years work) sufficient?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• 3 months later...

If you have a BSc Hons and a Masters all in pure Psych that will probably be enough for APS but whether it will be enough for AHPRA (which you will need to practice) is a whole other ball game (check out the AHPRA registration requirements as well). However you're only going to know if you ask them

• 1 month later...

Hi, in the end I went for a skills assessment under the Welfare Centre Manager role given my professional experience. It assessed my degree and Masters as successful in addition to my management role in a relevant field. After investigating further it looked that I would have needed chartership in the UK and three years experience, which I didn't have....so, relieved there was another relevant job role on the skilled occupation list.