Medical for NZ'er Wife?

CaptainC

My wife is a New Zealand citizen and it is intended that she will enter Australia on a Special Category Visa (Subclass 444) while myself and my son will enter on a 189.

It is clear that my son and I will require a medical during the visa application process.

My question is; will my wife also be required to take a medical?

Yes, and PCCs too if she's an applicant on the 189. SCV holders can enter Australia without medicals or character checks but if they apply for a permanent or provisional visa, they must then pass health and character checks like any other applicant for those visas.

Yes, and PCCs too if she's an applicant on the 189. SCV holders can enter Australia without medicals or character checks but if they apply for a permanent or provisional visa, they must then pass health and character checks like any other applicant for those visas.

Thanks for that. She won't be a joint applicant on this 189 application and she will only be an SCV resident.

Maybe in the future we may apply for her permanent residency but not just yet.

The reason I ask, is because I have read on this forum about the requirement for children of applicants to have a medical even though they are not migrating with a parent.

If she is on the application as a non-migrating dependent, she must have a medical. If she is not on the application as anything other than a family member, she won't need one. You can't simply not mention her at all.

None of my business, but it will be far less expensive and much less hassle if she is included but presumably you have your reasons.

If she is on the application as a non-migrating dependent, she must have a medical. If she is not on the application as anything other than a family member, she won't need one. You can't simply not mention her at all.

None of my business, but it will be far less expensive and much less hassle if she is included but presumably you have your reasons.

I will put her down on the visa application as my partner/wife, of course, as she in effect will be migrating with me albeit on a different visa type.

I am coming around to the idea that the best thing would be to include her on the 189 visa now but my reasoning was to prevent expense in the short term. I realise that it will cost more to sponsor her on a partner visa in the future but this may not even be necessary as she can live permanently in Australia already.

Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.

Many people, including many Kiwis, think that Kiwis on SCVs are Permanent Residents but even though they can live here permanently, they're not PRs so they never become eligible for some things for which PRs are eligible (e.g. Newstart Allowance) and they can never apply for citizenship. The visa cost difference is $1760 now vs (at least) $6865 to sponsor her later for a Partner visa.

Many people, including many Kiwis, think that Kiwis on SCVs are Permanent Residents but even though they can live here permanently, they're not PRs so they never become eligible for some things for which PRs are eligible (e.g. Newstart Allowance) and they can never apply for citizenship. The visa cost difference is $1760 now vs (at least) $6865 to sponsor her later for a Partner visa.

In that case its a no brainer.

Thanks for the advice.