Advice

Matthew Brown

Hi I am 29 approved my 2nd working holiday visa to oz and will be going December this year.

The purpose will be for sponsorship via an employee.

I do not have a SOL qualification and don't think I have a CSOL either :arghh: but do have AAT as an account tech.

My mum's cousin's friend sets up mining companies and has asked if their is any admin jobs going in Sydney (expensive place to live I know)

Alternatively I'll look into finances instead.

I'm hearing loads of rubbish about you can easily get sponsorship and then people saying as not on the SOL or CSOL unlikely?

If was to just head to straight to the job not adventure and just work flat out 6 months could they sponsor me that way not having experience in that field but showing my worth ?

is the SOL or CSOL that important?

I have also heard recruitment agencies is another easy way into sponsorship if unskilled ? True or false.

I've searched high and low and just really want experience and honest no PC answers on what the chances are.

I have temp called of my relationship as a result of this move as it's been something I've wanted to do for around 10 years

Am I coming home (unlikely to be there more than 7 months anyway) or am I likely to find sponsorship if I'm proactive?

Cheers all

No, they cannot "always match you to something". Otherwise we'd all be try to go over on sponsored visas! Your job/experience/qualifications are what matters and if the combination of these get you enough points to migrate, after having checked if your job is on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) or Sponsored Occupation List (SOL). Some people are sponsored by an employer and others go independently, based on their skills. I have no idea what the differences are with these two visits so I suggest you look into this more carefully and do not assume that you can just rock up and stay.

There are plenty of people on this forum who can advise you, but you also need to guide yourself as well. This is a good start: http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/find-a-visa.aspx

Edited by vickyplum

I have heard the sub cats are endless so can always match you to something ?

If you go to www.immi.gov.au you can find the SOL and CSOL and check what occupations are available for yourself. There are not endless sub categories at all.

I am afraid nothing has changed since your previous thread. Your chances of moving to Australia at the moment are close to zero. If you are very determined and enjoy your current career, then my recommendation would be to look to upgrade to a full accountancy qualification. But please only do this if you are sure of the career, because there is always a chance that it is removed from the lists before you are ready to apply anyway.

Alternatively look to train in another occupation, you won't be the first to do that, but again make sure it is something you enjoy. The only realistic way of extending after the WHV this year is if you meet a nice Aussie.

If you go to www.immi.gov.au you can find the SOL and CSOL and check what occupations are available for yourself. There are not endless sub categories at all.

I am afraid nothing has changed since your previous thread. Your chances of moving to Australia at the moment are close to zero. If you are very determined and enjoy your current career, then my recommendation would be to look to upgrade to a full accountancy qualification. But please only do this if you are sure of the career, because there is always a chance that it is removed from the lists before you are ready to apply anyway.

Alternatively look to train in another occupation, you won't be the first to do that, but again make sure it is something you enjoy. The only realistic way of extending after the WHV this year is if you meet a nice Aussie.

Appreciate your comments but this is why I'm getting confused I agree with your points but I've now had 5 PM saying this isn't technically correct

apparently there are jobs you can apply for which don't need experience and will sponsor you even if your not on the CSOL SOL depending on territory you go.

whilst this is maybe not true as I'm only going of advice an example today was that a backpacker had no qualifications and got a recruitment job and they sponsored him ? With no past experience ?

I will be going out in December but ideally need to know what area to focus and I won't have time to change occupation but if there is a silm chance of sponsorship I have to take the risk

Who is going to sponsor you? going to a different state doesn't not change the requirements, not is there any different lists for different states, visas are granted by DIBP not the states or territories.

The main employer sponsorship visa you are looking at would be the 457 visa, which does requires to have an occupation on at least the CSOL, to meet this occupation you require qualifications and experience, and also for the employer to meet a whole range of requirements, training benchmarks, paying at least the salary threshold which should be also market rate, and also proving they tried to employ an Australian first by market testing.

For example hairdresser is on the CSOL but the market rate salary for this occupation is below the salary threshold therefore they are not eligible for sponsorship for a 457 visa.

There is always someone who knows someone that got sponsored with no qualifications or experience.

Appreciate your comments but this is why I'm getting confused I agree with your points but I've now had 5 PM saying this isn't technically correct

apparently there are jobs you can apply for which don't need experience and will sponsor you even if your not on the CSOL SOL depending on territory you go.

whilst this is maybe not true as I'm only going of advice an example today was that a backpacker had no qualifications and got a recruitment job and they sponsored him ? With no past experience ?

I will be going out in December but ideally need to know what area to focus and I won't have time to change occupation but if there is a silm chance of sponsorship I have to take the risk

You cannot get a definitive answer from a forum and PM's , if you don't believe what you're being told here and if you want that answer, then you will have to speak to a Migration Agent. All the advice I have ever seen is that you need a skill in demand. If you have heard differently, then speak to an Agent who will give you a difinitive answer.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Why not just enjoy the working holiday and if you get sponsored, it's a bonus?

There's a lot of myths that circulate about backpackers getting sponsored. I've had a couple of experiences with this as a manager in two different companies. In both cases, we had a backpacker working for us, the department manager was impressed with their work and wanted to sponsor them. One was in our accounting section and the other in admin.

Long story short, it didn't happen. The HR department wouldn't touch it. Firstly, sponsoring someone is a considerable cost to the company in money and staff time, which simply can't be justified in a job where it's possible to find a local candidate. If it's a 457 visa, the company has to pay the visa fees and your fare home at the end, plus extra reporting responsibilities for the whole time you're employed, plus the risk of Fair Work inspectors turning up unannounced at any time. Secondly, if you're approved to offer 457 visas (and not all companies are - another limitation to consider) - then you have a quota of how many employees you can sponsor. So the HR department needed to preserve that quota for employees in genuine shortage areas.

http://www.migrationdownunder.com/australian-sponsored-visas/

If they're going to sponsor you for PR, once they've gone to all the trouble and cost of sponsoring you, they've got no guarantee you'll stay in the job - you're a backpacker, you might decide to hand in your notice and go travelling.

Edited by Marisawright

The only visa for which anyone can be sponsored without meeting skills assessment requirements of one kind or another is a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) and for that, you MUST be nominated for an occupation on the CSOL. Others have tried to tell you what's involved in being approved for a 457 but you seem to be more inclined to believe the bs stories that are always floating about about how people were sponsored without having eligible skills. I suggest you read the 457 booklet from cover to cover and arm yourself with accurate information. Also check the CSOL and then cross reference likely occupations on there to the ANZSCO which will tell you the qualifications and work experience that will be acceptable for a nomination.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx The CSOL

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/1220.0Contents02006?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=1220.0&issue=2006&num=&view= ANZSCO

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx 457 visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/forms/Documents/1154.pdf 457 booklet

Stay home. Crack on with CIMA for the next 2 years. Get a proper accounting qualification... and hopefully, by the time you have completed it Accounting will still be on the list and you can apply for a permanent visa with no need for sponsorship.

Honestly don't piss about trying to get sponsorship... do the hard graft and get PR - you'll end up in aus much sooner.

If you really wanted to wizz through

CIMA you can skip the first 5 exams as your AAT will earn you a pass, then the rest can be done in 2 years. Maybe less now that most of the exams are computer based and 'available on demand'.

Edited by benthomas010

Would be easier to take CIMA and get reciprocal memberships of CPA I think. Certainly more options if you want to get it done quickly.

Got ya, good advice then. Most jobs adds here ask for CA/CPA, currently taking the CPA and would say it isn't overly demanding so far.

Got ya, good advice then. Most jobs adds here ask for CA/CPA, currently taking the CPA and would say it isn't overly demanding so far.

I will be getting reciprocal membership of CPA when I move over. It's an easy process and just takes away the possibility of getting overlooked by a manager (more likely a HR person) who doesn't know what CIMA is.

I will be getting reciprocal membership of CPA when I move over. It's an easy process and just takes away the possibility of getting overlooked by a manager (more likely a HR person) who doesn't know what CIMA is.

Yeah good idea, we all know what experts they are in HR...

Also it's quite competitive (In Brisbane at least) at the moment so good to tick all the right boxes to up your chances in an application.

OK well getting technical, there is the RSMS visa, which technically does not require the job to be on SOL or CSOL, but it does require a higher skill level and experience.

If somebody is telling you that you can get sponsored for a job not on the occupations lists and without any qualifications or experiences maybe ask them for specifics of what visa and what job and have a read up on it. Or perhaps they could share that knowledge on the forum instead of PM and then we can all be enlightened. But I daresay, they don't know the details and it is just a friend of a friend that they vaguely know some half facts on.

Maybe the people who have pm'd you with supposedly viable options could do everyone a favour and post their options on the open forum? Then they can be discussed and discounted or explored as appropriate. People may be suggesting things that have worked in the past, for example, but are no longer valid visa routes.

My recommendation is save your money and don't do it. Your CIMA qualification is far superior to CPA which is very much the second rate qualification to CA here, it isn't just the prestige, it is simply well known to be much easier and a lower level. People in Australia know very well what CIMA is and in any case they will be perfectly comfortable with a UK qualified accountant.

apologies for going off topic.

Thank you all for the comments some very interesting points to consider.

Reviewing the CSOL in more detail today I think the only option I have is the program and project administrator which doesn't necessary require a qualification just experience.

My role at the moment is running reports for managers on specific criteria and data they will require and prior to that I was doing a purchase ledger role on Finance.

I do know they have tightened the subclass 457 for this job description but I think I am right in saying my best chance?

My recommendation is save your money and don't do it. Your CIMA qualification is far superior to CPA which is very much the second rate qualification to CA here, it isn't just the prestige, it is simply well known to be much easier and a lower level. People in Australia know very well what CIMA is and in any case they will be perfectly comfortable with a UK qualified accountant.

apologies for going off topic.

You must be a CA to have that inflated an opinion of it. 99% of places couldn't care which of them you are. You only need to look on seek to see most jobs are happy with either unless maybe you desire to work at the big 4 and then you would still find plenty of CPA's that work there.

The average HR professional would not have a clue about the CIMA and they are the one's who will filter out early applications.

You must be a CA to have that inflated an opinion of it. 99% of places couldn't care which of them you are. You only need to look on seek to see most jobs are happy with either unless maybe you desire to work at the big 4 and then you would still find plenty of CPA's that work there.

The average HR professional would not have a clue about the CIMA and they are the one's who will filter out early applications.

No I am not a CA. I am not Australian for a start. But I can spot a CA from a CPA from a mile away.

CIMA is very well known in Australia and any HR person recruiting for accountancy staff that has not heard of it or is troubled by a UK accountancy qualification, is in the wrong job.

(And no, I am not a CIMA either).

No I am not a CA. I am not Australian for a start. But I can spot a CA from a CPA from a mile away.

CIMA is very well known in Australia and any HR person recruiting for accountancy staff that has not heard of it or is troubled by a UK accountancy qualification, is in the wrong job.

(And no, I am not a CIMA either).

Bit bizarre that CIMA would partner with CPA if CIMA are better known for quality in both countries.

You apply for any small/medium commerce role and they are looking for experience mostly and either CPA or CA. Go on seek and how many jobs ask for CA only? I'll bet you none mention CIMA either.

Edit - actually some do mention CIMA I am wrong there. But not at expense of cpa

Edited by Guest

Thank you all for the comments some very interesting points to consider.

Reviewing the CSOL in more detail today I think the only option I have is the program and project administrator which doesn't necessary require a qualification just experience.

My role at the moment is running reports for managers on specific criteria and data they will require and prior to that I was doing a purchase ledger role on Finance.

I do know they have tightened the subclass 457 for this job description but I think I am right in saying my best chance?

Program project administrator is classed as ANzSCO level 2 and would require a diploma level qualiffcation.

"At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification "

I know I'm most likely doing a lot of heads in but just getting sound advice so I have my facts - does the above mean the diploma not required?