help needed!

nich

OK so I am looking to apply for a 189 skilled visa and have a few questions!

I have been in my trade since I left school at 17, 15 years ago where I done what you could call an informal apprenticeship, never gained any qualifications,I worked in that job for 5 years and then worked in a job not related to my trade for 2 years, and for another building company for another 5 years after that I then went and worked for myself for a year and then moved abroad where I am self employed.

I have recently completed an aqf and I am now getting ready to get my skills assessed by tra but I am worried as to what employment references are acceptable? I can get references from my previous employer and I have all my self employed payments I have made in Spain but the guy I worked for when I left school has since passed away so the only way I could get anything from that job would be from his son but it wouldn't be on headed paper as the business no longer exists!

Also would these references be suitable for a visa application as I don't want to waste all that money for the visa to get refused!

Hope this all makes sense!!

Any info would be appreciated

Nick

If it is not clear cut and sounds like it isn't in your case,then using a migration agent is the way to go. I don't think anyone on a forum will be able to provide you with the assurance you need, an agent can carefully go through your evidence and tell you what is missing. Obviously you will need good evidence.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your replies guys all I really need to know is would solely work references be enough for my application or would I need more?

Thanks

Self employed should be able to produce accounts, tax returns etc as well.

Self employed should be able to produce accounts, tax returns etc as well.

Hi bungo

Yes I can provide my self employment docs but that only covers just under 3 years so need the work experience before that to be assessed as I need the points for 8 years plus!

Thanks

Hi bungo

Yes I can provide my self employment docs but that only covers just under 3 years so need the work experience before that to be assessed as I need the points for 8 years plus!

Thanks

Well yes you need to prove it, they are not going to just take your word for it. You really do need some professional advice with this, an unclear / unevidenced work history is not the situation where you can safely go it alone. Have you already factored in maximum points for IELTS.?

Edited by Bungo

Well yes you need to prove it, they are not going to just take your word for it. You really do need some professional advice with this, an unclear / unevidenced work history is not the situation where you can safely go it alone. Have you already factored in maximum points for IELTS.?

No I have not factored full points as I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to English!I have only factored in 10 points from ielts

Thanks

Yes That's my question! Will tra and immigration accept references from previous employers alone to support my experience claims?

I would assume you would need pay slips etc to back up any number of years you want to claim work experience I believe. Otherwise surely the system would be rort with people making it look like they had more years experience than they really did?

I would assume you would need pay slips etc to back up any number of years you want to claim work experience I believe. Otherwise surely the system would be rort with people making it look like they had more years experience than they really did?

Yes that's what i had thought myself,

when we left the UK we rented our house so needed to get rid of alot of stuff including a lot of things that now would prove very useful! Its probs best to speak with an agent! problem is I don't really have the money to pay for an agents help!

Cheers