Taking A Parent

NYtoWA

Hi Everyone first post though have been a frequent reader of this forum for several years off and on.

We're in the process of looking at moving to Western Australia and my wife and I's jobs are on the list of wanted professionals so we think we should be okay in getting a visa for us and our three children.

My question is regarding my wife's mother who is 57 and her husband who is early 60s. Are there any visas out there that would allow them to come with us as part of our family. They don't have much savings although he does recieve a fairly good pension (but I don't know if that matters if the were in Australia?)

Anyway I know its a long shot but there are just so many visas I'm sure it's quicker to ask on here to find out if there are any options at all.

Thanks

They wouldn't be able to be included on your visa and there is no visa that would enable them to come at the same time as you. The only way for them to move to Australia will be if they get a Contributory Parent visa. You will need to be settled in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor them and at current rates, it will cost a bit over $100,000 (that is not a typo). Current processing time is 18-24 months.

They can only apply for a CPV if they pass the Balance of Family test which requires that at least half of their children are permanently resident in Australia or that or that more of their children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

Edited by Ozmaniac
Added BoF info