Nurse, primary school teacher and 2 daughters desperate for top Oz tips

mattha

Hi there. After much soul searching and 'shall we' or 'shan't we' conversations we have decided the time is now right to pursue our dream of moving to Australia. This is our first step in the process and we are looking for any help/advice possible. (Apologies in advance for presumably asking the same old questions). I am a primary school teacher who has just started teaching early years (4 years experience), while my wife is a recovery nurse who has been qualified since 2001. We have 2 daughters, one 6 and the other 1, and have friends who are currently living on the outskirts of Noosa who would be in a position to help us once we got out there. We are aware my wife will have a better chance of securing work than I will initially, but are not really sure about the best way to approach applying for visas etc, or even which visa to go for. We're hoping to avoid having to use a migration agent if possible, but aren't totally averse to it if it speeds the process up.

Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Using an agent wont speed things up but will be less reading n research for you. You need to look n see wot visa u will b eligible for..im a nurse n got 189 visa..check what points u have on immi website. ..takes time to get head round everything but it does all start to make sense..I didnt use agent n got visa in 4weeks last year. Lots of info on here too. Check out anmac and ahpra websites too.

Thank you both for your advice. That's really encouraging to know you got your visa within 4 weeks of applying. My wife is degree qualified so hopefully that will make things somewhat easier. We'e going to proceed down the non-agent route and start cracking on. No doubt a myriad of posts will follow as we try to get our heads round things. One quick question - Not knowing much about the visa application process and where to get started is it best to do your registration before you apply for your visa or vice versa and will she/both of us need to sit an English test at some point? If so is that something we could be applying for now or should we wait until further on in the process? Thanks in advance.

I am a degree trained nurse working In ITU and the first thing I did was do my IELTS English test. Then I did my skills assessment with ANMAC (the information re documents to provide is on their website) it's only me who had to do the IELTS as we are going for a 189 skilled independent visa, having a British passport is enough for my husband. From what I can gather its best to apply to AHPRA for nursing registration ASAP as it takes a while (I haven't done this yet, but plan to in the next fortnight.) Then we made our expression of interest to apply for visa on the skillselect website.

Best if luck to you. We aren't there yet but are hoping to be by June.

Becky and Chris ?

ps make sure you study for the English test, it's not as easy as you think it would be for a first language English speaker. And if you get over 8 in each category you can claim visa points for superior English.

Edited by Pinkestlady

Definitely an oversupply of Primary Teachers, you will be lucky to get a permanent job in the main cities. I am also a Primary Teacher but had to go into a childcare setting as the Early Childhood Teacher to get my visa, though it was sponsored.

Edited by lbbonbon

Hi there. After much soul searching and 'shall we' or 'shan't we' conversations we have decided the time is now right to pursue our dream of moving to Australia. This is our first step in the process and we are looking for any help/advice possible. (Apologies in advance for presumably asking the same old questions). I am a primary school teacher who has just started teaching early years (4 years experience), while my wife is a recovery nurse who has been qualified since 2001. We have 2 daughters, one 6 and the other 1, and have friends who are currently living on the outskirts of Noosa who would be in a position to help us once we got out there. We are aware my wife will have a better chance of securing work than I will initially, but are not really sure about the best way to approach applying for visas etc, or even which visa to go for. We're hoping to avoid having to use a migration agent if possible, but aren't totally averse to it if it speeds the process up.

Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Another thing to consider is whether your degree includes four full years of university education. If it does not, you will not be able to teach in Australia.

ermmm no i got 189 last year on march 26th.. 4 weeks from date i applied...i know its unusual (well from what people say on here) but i cant help my experience..im not lying..maybe lucky? :P

But the entire process takes much longer. IELTS, skills assessment, waiting for invitation etc all take time and need to be done consecutively. So no way will OP get a visa in four weeks.

No they wont n wasnt implying they would but my actual visa was quick once all that done..my skills assesment took 12 weeks..invited in few days then I applied..but I wish I had known visa would be so quick coz I thought it would take months..just lettin ppl know it can happen quick once submitted