How can I get my mum to Australia?

gemma96x

hi everybody a need HELP I moved here 4 years ago married my oz superstar and had beautiful twins I am now a permanent resident, currently living in Sydney and are going back to wagga wagga at the end of the year. My huge problem is I want my mum to come and live with us also my younger brother and sister who are 9 and 12 but this means she doesn't pass the family balance test, she is 49 turns 50 in December and would only have around 200,000 to bring with her she is not a skilled worker so a carnt go that route, is there any other options as I carnt find anything to even get her here apart from short holidays, but if the visa takes so long to finalise surely my brother and sister hopefully in time would become permanent residents and would eventually pass the family balance test please any info would be greatly appreciated...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your mum want to move to the other side of the world? (Your post is very "I want" centric so it's not clear) If she has a life and a home and a job where she is, she may be better off staying put than uprooting herself to isolation and possible poverty. Consulting a registered agent would be a good start but just because you want it doesn't necessarily mean that she would be able to get a visa. Doesn't look too hopeful TBH

My dear old Mum used to come and stay with us from November to the beginning of March. She loved her stays in Australia and I would have loved her to live with us all the time but she had her close friends and other family in Scotland so we never even tried to get her to stay. She was happy with her long holidays and getting to know the grandchildren.

hi everybody a need HELP I moved here 4 years ago married my oz superstar and had beautiful twins I am now a permanent resident, currently living in Sydney and are going back to wagga wagga at the end of the year. My huge problem is I want my mum to come and live with us also my younger brother and sister who are 9 and 12 but this means she doesn't pass the family balance test, she is 49 turns 50 in December and would only have around 200,000 to bring with her she is not a skilled worker so a carnt go that route, is there any other options as I carnt find anything to even get her here apart from short holidays, but if the visa takes so long to finalise surely my brother and sister hopefully in time would become permanent residents and would eventually pass the family balance test please any info would be greatly appreciated...

You can look into the paying route. But it's not cheap. Otherwise, there is no change unless she has the points or Marries an Aussie.

Can I ask please,if your Mum comes over,are you planning to have her live with you for the rest of her life?Is she planning on buying her own property,and managing on her own financially with two other children?You have mentioned she is'nt skilled as such,so what is she planning to do for work to support herself and your siblings?

Hello yes she will be living with us we hope to get an livery yard as horses are where our love lies which would be her wage and mine I also don't mind having to get a part time job as she will also be carer for my children she is a hard worker but unfortunately spent her life looking after her mum and dad who are now deceased and us kids

Hello yes she will be living with us we hope to get an livery yard as horses are where our love lies which would be her wage and mine I also don't mind having to get a part time job as she will also be carer for my children she is a hard worker but unfortunately spent her life looking after her mum and dad who are now deceased and us kids

Sounds like a great family plan. At this moment in time Australia favours skills over family so there may not be a way, but that might not always be the case. Speak with an agent though because to get a definitive plan it's going to be the best bet. We used Go Matilda they were brilliant and have a great website. Alan Collett the owner also posts on here. I hope there is a way for you.

Of course she wants to move and so does my brother and sister we are very close as only the four of us, isolation and poverty oz isn't third world please elaborate

I suspect this is a reference to (a) it is difficult to form real friendships with Australians, especially in rural areas where people tend to still hang around with the people they knew as kids and (b) Australia is expensive and if you move in later life you are unlikely to have much of a super fund to retire on - for example, I have been here 5 years and my super savings are less than half of my annual salary - I struggle to see how this is going to materialise into anything liveable.

This doesn't mean your mother might not make heaps of friends and become secure financially, but the odds are against it.

Edited by Quinkla

If you can employ your mum in a job on the SOL (I haven't checked but there may well be horse related roles on there) then there is the possibility you could sponsor her. Her age may make it more difficult but there may be a way. Whether it could lead to her gaining PR I don't know.

if it's not viable to have your business up and running profitability another option may be for her to be a student in Aistralia, studying something relevant to your business making sponsorship easier in the future. PR sponsorshp isn't possible over 50 though I don't think so she would need another route after the 457.

4 years as a student and 4 years 457 would have your sisters old enough to apply for their own student visas. This would be a very high risk and extremely expensive strategy though.

I have to be honest being about the same age as your mum with an 11 year old son there is no way I would risk his education on an approach that didn't guarantee I could stay until he finished his education at least.

I realise your husband is Australian but since most of your family are in the UK doesn't it make more sense for you to mI've rather than them?

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

thankyou for advise it just mind blowing that a have to pay for childcare from a stranger when my mum could do this and more and me and my husband would work hair tooth and nail for this to work
Unfortunately if it was that easy dont you think everyone would bring their mothers over to do childcare? Unlike the UK you cant just walk in here because the rest of your family is here. Edited by AJ

Were you not are of these issues when you moved to Australia? I was very conscious that I was going to be separated from my friends and family when I made the move. Since you have chosen to live in Australia with your Australian husband, then you need to be looking to your husband's family for this kind of support. The days of an extended family migrating based on a single visa holder are long gone.

Unfortunately if it was that easy dont you think everyone would bring their mothers over to do childcare? Unlike the UK you cant just walk in here because the rest of your family is here.

And these days UK women can't always take an Aussie husband back to UK with them either - the spouse visa conditions are draconian so unless the Aussie has ancestral connections that's almost undoable too!

I'm sorry OP - it did just sound rather like your aim was for your mum to be there at your beck and call for your benefit rather than hers! I'd be mighty pissed if one of my kids saw me as a cheap childminder! They choose to live on the other side of the world that's their look out!

I really think your mum is going to struggle to get a visa - she's getting too old and she doesn't have a skill to sell. She wouldn't want to be faffing around with anything temporary as your siblings will need to have educational stability.

My my reference to poverty and isolation was that she is getting too long in the tooth to be building up anything like a half decent pension pot, if indeed she could get a visa and a job - she may not mind being dependent on you financially for the rest of her life but that may pall for you after a while too. The isolation does tend to come when people give up all the social connections it has taken them their life time to build up - it takes a lot of hard work to build new connections when you get older. And the older you get, the more attractive are your roots!

A registered agent would seem to be your best bet but it doesn't look too hopeful. Or you could look at moving your Aussie back!

she's getting too old and she doesn't have a skill to sell. [...] she is getting too long in the tooth to be building up anything like a half decent pension pot, if indeed she could get a visa and a job

A 50-year old person in Aus is now expected to be working for another 20 years.

I'm also turning 50 in December and I don't think it's "long in the tooth" at all. We have no idea what the OP's mothers' pension pot in the UK is like.

The skill requirement is the issue here surely.

What does she do for a living? Does she have qualifications? People assume they don't have a 'skill' as they are not aware of the jobs on the skilled list? A skilled visa would be her only chance really as she would not pass the family ties test for sponsorship, she does not have a business to invest and the retirement visa does not exist anymore.

Other than that I don't think there is a visa you can get. Someone suggested setting up the horse business and sponsoring your mum as an employee but you would need to register the business so you are eligible in the DIBPs eyes to sponsor employees. Plus the role has to be on the skills list and the employee still needs to meet the criteria. If she has not done the job before and is not qualified to do this then you cant sponsor her.

A 50-year old person in Aus is now expected to be working for another 20 years.

I'm also turning 50 in December and I don't think it's "long in the tooth" at all. We have no idea what the OP's mothers' pension pot in the UK is like.

The skill requirement is the issue here surely.

Getting a job over 50 in Aus is by no means easy, there's a subtle (or not so subtle) ageism unless someone has a hugely in demand skill set - you may not think yourself over the hill but employers may well! 20 years isn't much to be building a decent pension pot - if you've got plenty of money stashed away then of course you'll be fine.

Getting a job over 50 in Aus is by no means easy, there's a subtle (or not so subtle) ageism unless someone has a hugely in demand skill set - you may not think yourself over the hill but employers may well! 20 years isn't much to be building a decent pension pot - if you've got plenty of money stashed away then of course you'll be fine.

The OP stated she will be bringing 200k with her which is a fair bit of money considering she will be living with her so not many outgoings. The issue is more how she is getting there visa wise not how she will afford to live.

Shame people can't just answer the question asked without going into editorial overdrive.

I don't see a way for her to come myself.

Setting up a business to sponsor overseas family members would probably look highly suspicious to IMMI bureaucrats.

Edited by parleycross

How about re-skilling? do a training course or study and qualify for something on one of the lists.

Or is that where the age-ism comes in - being over 50 means you wouldn't have enough points, or would simply be excluded?

Edited by mungbean

How about re-skilling? do a training course or study and qualify for something on one of the lists.

Or is that where the age-ism comes in - being over 50 means you wouldn't have enough points, or would simply be excluded?

As far as I know you cannot apply for a independent skilled visa over 50 except in very exceptional cases (there was a university professor on here once who was over 50 but you would have to be eminent in your field to get this exception)

i dont think the age restriction applies to 457 visas though.

its not ageism in my opinion it is purely the costs and benefits to Australia - the younger you are the more you will pay in before you take out of the system.