Returning Resident Visa - Urgent

Nick1966

Hi, I wondered if anyone can assist.

A friend has just left the country to attend a wedding and was informed at the airport that his PR visa travel rights had expired (over 5 yrs old) he chose to board the flight with the expectation that obtaining the RRV can be done whilst he is away (his wife and two children are not attending the wedding and are here in Oz) He is only overseas for less than a week and it would appear that he has underestimated the time it will take to get the return visa if not in Australia. My friend works for the health service and has been in Oz for over two years (he didnt realise that the visa had lapsed. Can anyone advise on the best option to get back into the country on Tuesday!!! (Tourist visa perhaps....which would allow him then to apply for RRV within Australia)

Thanks

N

If he goes to an Australian immigration office in the overseas country, he would have a reasonable chance of getting an RRV on the spot - I know of someone who was able to do that but it was a couple of years ago and may not still be possible. AFAIK, getting a tourist visa is not a good idea as it may cancel his permanent visa but I'm not positive about that.

"getting a tourist visa is not a good idea as it may cancel his permanent visa but I'm not positive about that"

no maybe it will

But if you apply for an RRV you can i think then get a tourist visa as your RRV application is now in process but i would get confirmation of that from Immi first.

You should be able to get an RRV quickly either way

As far as I know, getting a tourist visa would be a tremendously bad idea as it would replace his existing permanent visa, and would then jeopardise his ability to get a RRV.

I'd suggest he contacts DIBP/Australian embassy wherever he is and explain the situation to see what they can do to expedite a RRV.