Are the Student Loans Authority a Public Authority? Help Please!!

steve27

Hi All,

I have already answered no for this question as I believed the SLC to be a private company. However I am unsure now.

If they are a public Authority then I will quickly upload a form 1023 to correct this mistake before I get assigned a CO.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :-).

Steve

Hi @steve27

I have a visa and our family will be going over to Sydney in June for 2-4 years. I owe the student loans company as I retrained as an adult. I currently have about £70 per month that comes out of my wage here in the UK.

Do you know how this might work when people like us are out of the country? I would imagine it will still need to be paid every month, but am unsure how this might work.

I did google it ages ago, but this was before we started the visa process.

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure it might be a fairly common issue for migrants

Hi @steve27

I have a visa and our family will be going over to Sydney in June for 2-4 years. I owe the student loans company as I retrained as an adult. I currently have about £70 per month that comes out of my wage here in the UK.

Do you know how this might work when people like us are out of the country? I would imagine it will still need to be paid every month, but am unsure how this might work.

I did google it ages ago, but this was before we started the visa process.

Any tips would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure it might be a fairly common issue for migrants

Hello mate,

I arrived 3 months ago. Prior to leaving I phoned the students loan company and explained the situation. Said I didn;t have a job etc. They said cheers for calling, we will make a note and we will send you out a form.

Form came, really easy, just declared where I was going and that I wouldn't be working. I had to explain I would be living from house sale equity until employed. They have stopped my student loans payments for 12 months at which point I can fill the form in again and be re-assessed. They were really good.

Be warned!!! If you leave and don't tell them there is an 'automatic' default amount. Its bloody high. If you phone they won't put you on the 'automatic'.

That's my experience. Very helpful and very easy :)

Thanks @Vandeux - I'll contact them for sure.

We have a slightly different situation in that we aren't selling up here, going to rent our place out (see how it goes)

I'll need to work pretty soon once we are out there, which could be freelance work. That 'year off' from repayments might still be an attractive option for me if I could get it. Mind you it'll need paying off at some point (it's about £15k!)

We get an assessment form every year from the student loans company in August.

We sent a copy of the ohs group certificate (end of tax year wage assessment/tax paid sheet) each year.

They then make their calculations.

On a wage of about $50k she paid back about £70 per month.

On a wage of about $30k she pays back nothing.

But it still goes up by indexation of about £18 per month, whether it's being paid back or not.