Two Visa options - your views?

supercow

Hi All

I'm new here. but have been a lurker for many years.

I woke up to a godawful rainy day here in the UK, with the news that my RPL application has been approved in record time (not even 2 weeks!). What was even more surprising is that I'm getting slightly more points than initially projected, which has opened up the SC189 visa option.

I therefore have two avenues to consider; namely the SC189 and SC489 (family sponsored).

While I completely understand that the SC189 is the "superior" visa to get, I wanted to know what the real world draw back is, for opting to get the SC489 in stead?

Opting for the SC489 may sound silly to you, but there is some reasoning behind it. For me to obtain the SC189, I need to score higher on my IELTS. While the plan is to re sit it (have another test booked for next weekend), I can't help but feel that I will never be able to get the required "8" across board. I should add that this is not because of my language skills (or lack of), but I struggle with "finite" answers in the reading test. I'm questioning by nature and will be able to argue and substantiate WHY I chose certain answers over the "correct ones" until the cows come home, but unfortunately we're not tested in that way.

For reference, I have sat it twice already. The first time I got (L8,W8,R7,S9) and the second time I was slightly hungover and got (L8, W7.5, R7.5, S9). As you might be aware, that means I have a band score of 8 in both instances, but that's not good enough to get the 20 points. Each module needs to be at least 8 to obtain 20 points. (again, I think the distinction is a bit arbitrary and it pisses me off, but there's nothing I can do about that.)

If I choose to throw in the towel with the IELTS and go SC489 - do you think that I will severely regret it 4 years down the line? Am I guaranteed permanent residence after the 4 years is over (if I've been in full time work etc).

Will it be an expensive process to get permanent residency after the 4 years, or will it be best to keep throwing £160 a pop at the IELTS tests until I score 8?

Thanks in advance.

I do have to say, most people generally get higher scores when they resit as the first test is generally good for experience. In your post you admit you went in hungover!!! I was in bed by 9pm the night before. I would first suggest sitting it at least one more time without any sign of a hangover! As for the visa, I am no expert but bare in mind that with the 189 you have that security straight away.

your first IELTs scores were really good - and I really can't believe you did the second one with a hangover! I'd be super paranoid the night before and wouldn't even consider touching the booze.

Personally I would do IELTS again (without a hangover) and try for the skilled independent visa.

vickyplum - one might say that my second was the best, given that I improved on the module that I did badly on in the first sitting. Made a slight booboo with the writing module and lost only .5. Again, I have issue with having to hand write an essay. My handwriting is hardly legible to myself and I find it hard to spot grammar and spelling mistakes. I also write like the dunce in class... but type an awful lot quicker.

Guess I sound like a bit of a turd for having a few the night before, promise I won’t do it again :)

That said, I’m still pretty convinced I won’t get what I need.

Got my RPL based on my career as a Business Analyst - someone who questions everything / takes nothing at face value (after all, my job revolves around listening, interpreting and translating others’ requirements and replaying that back to them …which is the basic premise of the IELTS!).

It means that I overthink those reading questions, and it’s hard for me to “switch that part of me off”.

I digress though. Does anyone have more information about the SC489 visa that I can read? http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/489.aspx does’t really provide me with information about permanency / follow up visas?

Do IELTS again but only after after heaps of practice (and a clear head on the day). You know that your problem is over thinking and with practise, you should be able to overcome that. A 189 is definitely the way to go. You get no strings attached PR from day 1 AND, you can expect to get your visa faster - MUCH faster (perhaps a year or more) if you have only 60 points for a 489 application.

Re the 489... It's a 4 year visa but you can apply for a permanent visa after living in a 'designated' area for 2 years and working full time for at least one of those years. Here's a link to the info on the follow-up permanent visa which is the Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887):

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/887.aspx 887 visa

I 'think' the 489 has really long processing times if sponsored by family as they hardly give out any visas at all for family sponsored.

It has. I looked into it a few months back - DIBP send out a very low number of invites per month, about 15. I also spoke to a migration agent and his rough estimate was around a 5 year wait!!

What's your points if you don't mind me asking?

I ask that because say if you're on 55, you could go down the SC190 route and get +5 points from the state who sponsors you. Then there's only a moral obligation to work in that state - not a legal obligation.

I considered doing this, but then I thought it is only a matter of time before they close that loophole, and I didn't have to wait that long anyway to get 60 ponts for a SC189. All depends on your circumstances.

What's your points if you don't mind me asking?

I ask that because say if you're on 55, you could go down the SC190 route and get +5 points from the state who sponsors you. Then there's only a moral obligation to work in that state - not a legal obligation.

I considered doing this, but then I thought it is only a matter of time before they close that loophole, and I didn't have to wait that long anyway to get 60 ponts for a SC189. All depends on your circumstances.

My agent sent me this breakdown in calculation, so unfortunately I'm sat on 50 after Feb 2015( because I was only granted "skilled work experience" from March 2012.)

I would break 60 if I had 8s in IELTS, or 60 when sponsored by a family member.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Age[/TD]

[TD]25[/TD]

[TD]Less than 40[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Eng[/TD]

[TD]10/20[/TD]

[TD]Either 7s or 8s (currently have 7s)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AWE[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]No Australian work experience[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SWE[/TD]

[TD]0/5[/TD]

[TD]5 points after Feb 2015[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Quals[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Microsoft qualification[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SS[/TD]

[TD]0/10[/TD]

[TD]Family sponsorship for TEMP visa[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Other[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]n/a[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Total[/TD]

[TD]60[/TD]

[TD]Pass mark needed[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by supercow

Looks like IELTS is the best option then! Defo give it another chance. The only advice I can give is keep practicing. If your 40th birthday is quite a few years away then you have some time to get the points you need.

I remember the reading test being quite difficult and I was pretty stressed out in the test thinking i'd failed, but I got 8+ in all sections in the end. You got 7 then 7.5 in your reading, so just keep trying. I went through each question first, then looked for the answer (rather than reading the text and answering questions later). I found that approach was good for getting all of the easier questions out of the way first, and by the time i'd come to answer the harder ones i'd already worked out the structure of the text making things easier -- if that makes sense!

Just noticed in the IT thread that you're a BA (code 2611?) invites being issues on a pro-rata basis.

DIBP are currently inviting people with min. 65 points for that occupation, although I have seen that dip to 60 points occasionally.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/SkillSelect/results/27-october-2014.aspx

So you could be in for a number of months wait.

Looks like IELTS is the best option then! Defo give it another chance. The only advice I can give is keep practicing. If your 40th birthday is quite a few years away then you have some time to get the points you need.

I remember the reading test being quite difficult and I was pretty stressed out in the test thinking i'd failed, but I got 8+ in all sections in the end. You got 7 then 7.5 in your reading, so just keep trying. I went through each question first, then looked for the answer (rather than reading the text and answering questions later). I found that approach was good for getting all of the easier questions out of the way first, and by the time i'd come to answer the harder ones i'd already worked out the structure of the text making things easier -- if that makes sense!

Certainly makes sense and is the way I think will work best for me personally. I think that the study material I used the first time, was more geared towards people looking to get 6 or 7 - because the tips seemed to cover you being able to grasp the passage first , before proceeding.

Just noticed in the IT thread that you're a BA (code 2611?) invites being issues on a pro-rata basis.

DIBP are currently inviting people with min. 65 points for that occupation, although I have seen that dip to 60 points occasionally.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/SkillSelect/results/27-october-2014.aspx

So you could be in for a number of months wait.

Some months is fine by me - your 5 year estimate is what would scare me. Really would like to get to Aus in the next 2 years. (absolute max)

The first time I contacted my agent about moving to Aus was 4 years ago, and I've had a long heartbreaking / disheartening path thus far - so a few months would certainly be water off a duck's back! I could always pursue the regional SC190 visa, which will give me the 65 points if needed.

Edited by supercow

My husband is doing his ielts this Saturday too, where are you doing it? He is going to Bedford. It's his 1st try and he's been practising at home with the reading and listening and managed to get 8's, which like you, he needs to go for the 189 visa, rather than 489. The one he is worried about is writing, as it's hard to know how that get marked and work out what he needs to do to get the best marks. But even with the reading/writing, it's very close and a couple of wrong answers can make a big difference to marks.

I got 8s and 9s the first time and I am not the best with English! I found the youtube video's really good as you can watch and listen to them every day on your lunch break, in the car, when you have a spare 5 minutes. I also did the online revision package they provide and bought some books/CD but to be honest the book/CD wasnt that much help despite costing over £20.

Good Luck, with practice it can be done!

My husband is doing his ielts this Saturday too, where are you doing it? He is going to Bedford. It's his 1st try and he's been practising at home with the reading and listening and managed to get 8's, which like you, he needs to go for the 189 visa, rather than 489. The one he is worried about is writing, as it's hard to know how that get marked and work out what he needs to do to get the best marks. But even with the reading/writing, it's very close and a couple of wrong answers can make a big difference to marks.

I'm doing mine at the King's college in Oxford (I live in Buckinghamshire)

The writing is a bastard for me too, and was only lucky that I got 8 the first time I sat the test. I can't stress enough how slowly I write. This means that I can't really plan the essay and make it up as I got along, for fear of running out of time.

The second time I sat it, I kinda got lost in my essay and didn't really communicate well, and got 7.5 as a result. The faster I write, the worse my spelling becomes - not because of I can't spell the words, but my fingers and brain don't form a cohesive unit.

The only advise I can give to your husband is to read both questions at the start, do the second essay first, then move to the first one. Ideas tend to pop into my head as I write (for example, while I'm writing the second one, ideas on the first one will pop into my head), so I'll jot them down on the questionnaire .

Thanks, I'll tell him that. We are between oxford and bedford, we are in beds! Good luck for Saturday....it's going to be a long wait afterwards waiting for results I guess!

I'm doing mine at the King's college in Oxford (I live in Buckinghamshire)

The writing is a bastard for me too, and was only lucky that I got 8 the first time I sat the test. I can't stress enough how slowly I write. This means that I can't really plan the essay and make it up as I got along, for fear of running out of time.

The second time I sat it, I kinda got lost in my essay and didn't really communicate well, and got 7.5 as a result. The faster I write, the worse my spelling becomes - not because of I can't spell the words, but my fingers and brain don't form a cohesive unit.

The only advise I can give to your husband is to read both questions at the start, do the second essay first, then move to the first one. Ideas tend to pop into my head as I write (for example, while I'm writing the second one, ideas on the first one will pop into my head), so I'll jot them down on the questionnaire .

Likewise. If I were in your position, I'd just book another test for the next available slot.

Not that I think your husband will need it, but it means that if in fact he does need to re sit it, he can re sit it while it's still quite fresh in his mind. Also for me personally, it kinda feels like it alleviates some pressure I put on myself for passing the first time - making me more relaxed.

I got 8 in reading, the first and only time I sat the test. I crossed out words and corrected a few times, so don't worry too much about neatness - as long as it's readable. Make sure you get some idiom in there! I'm pretty sure that's what gave my 2x letters the edge to bring me up to the 8 mark, although I can't be entirely sure.