457 Secondary Applicant Foreign Salary - Is it Taxable ?

Blewyn

A 457 holder can leave and re-enter Australia as they please, no ? What if the secondary was working overseas FIFO, and getting paid overseas, no money being paid in Australia ?

Even if you are a secondary on the visa you still are resident for tax purposes so I would think you have to pay tax in Australia, what does it matter where you pay tax UK or Australia, you are only going to pay it once, so why try finding ways round the system

Definitely consult a tax accountant. If you have a home outside Australia then you may be able to argue that you are resident in that country even if your OH is resident in Australia. However if your main home is in Australia then you may be on dodgy ground claiming you are not resident for tax purposes. If claim you are not resident but the ATO decides you are you will be liable for the tax not paid and probably a fine as well.

ETA - it's just occurred to me that 457 visa holders are not normally taxed on foreign income anyway so you probably would not be subject to tax in Australia on your earnings. However I would still advise taking advice from a tax accountant with knowledge in this area to be on the safe side.

Edited by NicF

Guest hoffer

It will need declaring on your tax return as you are both residents from a visa point of view but there are some ways around minimizing the tax liability. Get a decent accountant and let them worry about minimizing it. But with the information you have provided its limiting on what anyone here can really advise.

By decent i mean not one of the $200 ones and use one that understands both local and international

There is a distinction between tax residency and temporary/permanent residency for immigration purposes. Holders of temporary visas may be tax resident in Australia - see https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/How-much-income-tax-you-pay/Are-you-an-Australian-resident-for-tax-purposes-/ for an introduction to tax residency - but most are covered by an exemption from the requirement to pay tax on foreign income - https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/In-detail/Foreign-income-of-Australian-residents/Foreign-income-exemption-for-temporary-residents---introduction/. (For example people in a relationship with an Australian citizen or PR do not benefit from this exemption as they are defined as residents under the Social Security Act 1991).