Going from the temp to PR partner visa... what happens and when?

wolvesaussie

I thought they contacted you but hopefully someone else will be along to say yay or nay to this. They ask you to supply evidence you are still a couple and new stat decs iirc.

Might not be bang on the timeframe either from what I have read. But generally about 2 years after. The temp one remains valid till the PR comes though I seem to remeber reading.

Have a look at the partner migration booklet menu and see if it sheds any light?

You're eligible to apply for PR two years after you applied for your temp partner visa, so yes, you'll be eligible in September. They generally contact you a month or two before, but if they don't, it could mean they don't have your current contact info. You can just apply online yourself anyway. No need to wait for them. I'd start getting your documents together that you'll need, and then you can apply online the day you're eligible.

I've heard you can even apply online BEFORE you're eligible, though they of course won't process it until after your two-year eligibility date. I believe there's a calculator they make you use to determine whether you're eligible to apply, and if you put an earlier date in it it will let you apply earlier (though, again, they won't process it early or anything). Not sure how kosher it is to do that, so I'm not recommending it, just saying it's apparently possible.