Teacher - AITSL issues!

benj1980

Hi guys hopefully someone can help. As I am secondary trained I can teach up to 18. My training was within the 11-16 age group and this is on my transcript and certificate. AITSL stipulate an age range of 13-18 now for teaching practice (I've never noticed this before!) has anyone had any issues with this before? Do AITSL know UK teachers are qualified up to 18?

I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not!

I needed to get a letter from my teacher training institute that listed how many days teaching practice I'd done and what age ranges. Took a few weeks of badgering the university but got there eventually! They included the names and addresses if both schools, the age of the students and how many days there on placement, it also include the start and end date as well as the title of the course. This was enough for AITSL when I applied 18 months ago.

All approved, got our 189 visa last May, validated visa this April and were off next January!

Good luck

• 3 months later...

I pretty much had to do the same with IOE in London. Delayed my skills assessment by about 3 months in the end but you will need it again when you register with the state (yes - have to go through ALL the same details even though you have proven it to get the skills assessment in the first place!).

Persevere, will be worth it in the end :smile:

You need to go through it all again?! I thought it was similar but a little simpler as well?

It depends which state. To register to teach in QLD it's around a 12 week wait and similar documents required. You can apply online but the documents go by snail mail. They only give a provisional registration and you then have to do an NQT style year induction to become fully registered. It's no biggie, just a paperwork faff.

Millie