Spouse Visa

Guest aussiediva

Guest aussiediva

G'day there fellow poms

I'm a new sheila to the site, and relatively new to Oz. Myself and my son got here with my partner last year on a prospective marriage visa. We got married last month and have just settled back down after having mum out from England etc.

I dont know about anyone else out there, but i am baffled at how we have been thru so much to get here and now we have this next step (the dreaded spouse visa) to get thru... it's come as a bit of a surprise, because we naively thought that things were pretty sweet now we've married. anyway, we are about to get stuck in and get our forms in yet again. it feels never ending!!

I would very much like to hear from anyone who's been thru the same thing/s we are going thru, and do you have any advise on what we should expect in the coming months..? Is this visa fairly straightforward now we're married and am i worrying unnecessarily?:arghh: It is good that Australia is strict when letting people in an all that, but it's hard on genuine people dont ya think?

I have learned of this site from my sis-in-law in england who highly rates the site,and who is looking into migration for herself and her family.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any help, your support would be very appreciated!!

L x

Hi L,

You are almost in the same boat as me, I arrived in oz last august (Central Coast NSW) with my hubby and youngest daughter of 3 (i sadly left 2 daughters in the uk who didnt want to come)

I am on a temp spouse visa and applied onshore (in oz) last year, i hopefully get my pernament visa august 08. I have a friend here who is on a defacto and from my own experience and from what i have seen of his application - the spouse & defacto visas must be the easiest of all.

I lodged my application at the DIMA office in Sydney the same day that i had an interview with a case officer, it really wasn´t that bad and i would honestly say dont fret you are almost there.

I had my interview on Septemeber 28th 06 and was granted my temp spouse visa on October 13th only 15 days, the case officer told me she would of granted it the same day but wanted some more papers fom my ex husband re my youngest daughter being with me. So all in all only took 15 days. My advise to you is keep everything, photos/cards/letters/emails/bills/tickets/pictures/flight tickets/concert tickets/club memberships in fact anything that can prove that you are still a proper couple and not a marriage of conveience. I am sure that you will hav no worries

All the best

Gizmo

Guest brucestobrisbane

Hi

We are trying for the spouse visa as well. Started process March and are hoping to have it all finished within the next couple of weeks and then waiting for the answer?!

Although we have done it all from UK if there's anything you think we can help with just give a shout, we'll certainly help if we can.

As we've been married for 6 years and have got a little one, we are hoping to get the permanent visa straight off, but we'll have to see.

Good luck

Nicky & Brendan :wub:

Guest Vicki

Hi AussieDiva,

Crucial to the successful outcome of your spouse applicatio is the evidence of your relationship. Once married, evidence of co-habitation is required by the Department of Immigration. Make sure you have rental lease agreements or mortgage papers, utility bills, bank statements (if you have a joint account) in both your names, addressed to both of you at your current residential address.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Vicki

Dr Vicki Clayton

Migration Adviser (MARN: 0531177)

AusArrivals Immigration Agency

http://www.ausarrivals.com.au

Guest dwa33

Hello Gizmo,

My partner is applying for a temp spouse visa (461) and it's taking a while to process in NZ. We were wondering if she could enter Australia on a visitor visa and wait for the 461 visa to be granted later.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you enter Australia before you applied for the temp spouse visa?

Thanks

Doug

Hello Gizmo,

My partner is applying for a temp spouse visa (461) and it's taking a while to process in NZ. We were wondering if she could enter Australia on a visitor visa and wait for the 461 visa to be granted later.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you enter Australia before you applied for the temp spouse visa?

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

I came into oz on a return ticket as if i was just a holiday maker along with my daughter, my hubby who is an aussie citizen came in on his aussie passport (as he has a uk and aussie ones).

I think you could come into oz on a vistor visa but check it out for sure as i had to be in oz when my temp spouse visa was granted and i was informed that while the descision was being made that i was unable to leave oz without permission from the DIMA, as i applied onshore and had to be onshore when & if granted. Hope this makes sense.

Gizmo

Guest dwa33

Thanks Gizmo, Very useful.

What did you say to customs when you arrived? We are concerned that on all the departure and arrival cards we will need to say that we are permanently arriving/departing, but then at the immigration desk at Melbourne airport we will have to say Fiona is only visiting. Is this oaky with immigration?

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,I didnt say anything, they actualy stopped me and approx 20 other people and took our passports and left us waiting i think they were doing a security check, can you believe that when i got stopped my 13 year old daughter went straight through on her own !!!! they didnt stop her and she just carried on walking to meet my hubby who had gone through the aussie entrance. No questions were asked at all they just handed my passport back and said have a nice time, i think they were doing a visa check (i was on a 3month holiday visa then just to get in) This was at Sydney airport, think you should best check with your migration agent if you have one.

good luck

gizmo

Guest Nick-ASA

Hi Diva

I worked for DIAC previously as a decision-maker on spouse visas, and Gizmo's advice is entirely correct - it;s about getting together as much evidence as possible, whilst not swamping the case officer with too much.

Case officers are generally suspicious but as you are genuine, you don't have to worry too much :)

Be up-front about absolutely EVERYTHING no matter what.

Good luck

Nick

australia-migration (dot) com

Archived