End of Parent and Aged Parent visas?

Alan Collett

Browsing the Budget papers (as one does on a Tuesday evening) ... and noted this:

The 2014‑15 Migration Programme will have 190,000 places and maintain the composition of 128,550 Skilled Stream places, 60,885 Family Stream places and 565 Special Eligibility Stream places.

The Skilled Stream will continue to focus on Australia's longer term skills needs, including addressing skills shortages in regional Australia.

The Family Stream will refocus on meeting the increasing demand for close family reunions. The additional partner and child places will be made available as a result of the cessation of new applications from the other family and parent (non‑contributory) places. This cessation will also enable faster processing of existing applications.

(Source: http://www.budget.gov.au/2014-15/content/bp2/html/bp2_expense-16.htm , scroll down to Migration Programme — allocation of places for 2014‑15)

Looks like the end of subclass 103 (Parent) and 804 (Aged Parent) visa options imminently - likely to be from the end of next month.

Also the Remaining Relative visa option looks likely to go - reading between the lines.

In case of need: http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/

Best regards.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that will scupper a lot of people's plans!

Not if applicants move quickly ... if you can't get to Australia and lodge onshore before the end of next month (assuming the cut off doesn't impact sooner) go for a 103 to keep your (financial) options open ... and do it now because there will be a rush of applications, you can be reasonably assured of that.

Best regards.

Many Thanks Alan - that is a relief! I have actually spoken to you previously on the phone (not via the forum) about the visa and when my parent is ready to get the ball rolling we will definitely be in touch again as we don't want to do the application ourselves.

Guest Vixenpops

This seriously sucks

I moved here 18 months ago based on the fact that my mum can join us in December when she turns 65 on the Aged Parent Visa and I have been here 2 years so meet the settled criteria

I hope there is a bloody long lead time as this really makes some hard lifestyle choices for people who have made decisions based on the information provided to them by immigrations

Alan, I'm wondering what your take is on the planning levels shown here. Are these not accurate or outdated?

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/visa-grants/migrant.htm

Hi CollegeGirl.

My understanding is that this schedule showing the planning levels for 2014/15 reflects the announcement made by the Minister yesterday:

http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm214434.htm

Best regards.

I understand that it is normally possible to add a partner to the 103 application after it has been lodged, but not processed. I wonder, will this still be the case if the application is lodged before the end of June, but then the visa is scrapped, would it still be possible to add a partner after June? Just posting for a friend.

Will this change affect applications that have already been submitted but not completed? My parents are on the bridging visa while their 804 is decided. They are at the stage where they have to go for a medical to be placed on the waiting list.

Just to add to Alan's post, it seems that it's not just the aged parent visas and the Remaining Relative visas that are likely to disappear: the Carer and Aged Dependant visas are also likely to be axed. If you are planning to apply, and you are fortunately enough in that you can apply now, you really should get your applications in asap.