IELTS Arrggghhh!!

InNeedOfSun

Morning All,

I have just managed to view my IELTS results online this morning - disaster! I needed to get at least 8 in all categories (for points), I managed to get 8.5 in Listening, Writing and Speaking but Reading was scored as a 6.5. This was my third attempt at IELTS (7.5 in Writing previously), I got 9's for reading in both previous attempts and I was certain I blitzed it this time again. A 6.5 roughly equates to 32 / 40, I am finding it hard to believe I dropped so many marks.

Clutching at straws here but...

Do you think there may of been a typo when publishing the results online?

Has anyone encountered a scoring mistake on IELTS reading?

Is there any point on requesting a remark?

Or...

Do you think I should take it on the chin and book another test?

8's in IELTS is the last hurdle before applying for a visa but I am totally disheartened and now beginning to think I will never get to Oz.

many thanks,

Paul

From one of my scrofulous novels:

The colonel who owns the land told Joy this after she

had signed the lease. He had just returned from Fort Bragg,

where else, with the latest techniques—drill the electrodes

into the subject's molars and apply the voltage. You have to

gag them so they don't bite their tongue off. It's enough to

make you long for the good old days when they clamped

one electrode on your testicles and shoved the other one up

your ass.

They give lessons. Let's go over this one more time

colonel. You don't stick it up your own ass, and there are

four gs in aaarggggh.

Guest guest30085

Don't do anything until you get the written confirmation of your marks, although I've not heard of any discrepancies between the computer mark and the written one, IELTS do state to wait for written confirmation.

They would usually only re-mark writing and speaking as these are down to subjective marking, the reading and listening and electronically marked so unlikely to be wrong (unless the computer says no).

I would be booking another, as harsh as it is, once you get the scores you need, then you can put it all behind you. I take it you are doing the General IELTS?

Don't do anything until you get the written confirmation of your marks, although I've not heard of any discrepancies between the computer mark and the written one, IELTS do state to wait for written confirmation.

They would usually only re-mark writing and speaking as these are down to subjective marking, the reading and listening and electronically marked so unlikely to be wrong (unless the computer says no).

I would be booking another, as harsh as it is, once you get the scores you need, then you can put it all behind you. I take it you are doing the General IELTS?

Hi Adonna,

Thanks for your reply.

I obviously thought I had done better than the score, like I said 'Clutching at straws'!

Yeah, it was General Training, 4th time lucky.

Thanks

Guest guest30085

Hi

No worries, I'm sure you will manage to do it next time, fingers crossed.

As you've scored 9 in reading in two previous tests then you obviously are doing well and able to get the scores, I can understand why the 6.5 would be disheartening for you. Wait for the letter and then take it from there.

I am taking my IELTS next weekend, totally in meltdown over it and getting myself in a real pickle! Im doing the academic and need to get 8+ for each section. Have been told that if I achieve 7+ I have the option then of sitting the general test but would have to gain a minimum of 7 for each of those too.

I have been looking through the books but it doesnt make me feel any better about all this. I think that as I have just completed a degree at University all this extra pressure is a little 'mad', it makes me feel its just another way of getting lots of money of us.

Good luck !

I am taking my IELTS next weekend, totally in meltdown over it and getting myself in a real pickle! Im doing the academic and need to get 8+ for each section. Have been told that if I achieve 7+ I have the option then of sitting the general test but would have to gain a minimum of 7 for each of those too.

I have been looking through the books but it doesnt make me feel any better about all this. I think that as I have just completed a degree at University all this extra pressure is a little 'mad', it makes me feel its just another way of getting lots of money of us.

Good luck !

Good luck next weekend, yes, it is a little mad!

Sometimes I feel the same about the money but unfortunately that's the criteria.

I used http://ielts-simon.com/ to prepare for all of the exams, it did fill me with confidence but I do believe there is also a slight element of luck on the day.

Good luck again, let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Hi Paul.

The reading test was my nemesis too. It was the true/false/not given where I lost marks every time I did a practice, so i'm pretty sure the same could be said for the marks I lost during the test itself. Luckily I got what I needed, but it was the only element causing me concern. I believe that they will only re-mark the subjective tests, such as writing and speaking. Gutted for you.

Cath

Its got alot to do with luck on the day...n u cant practice that! my results were very random on a each attempt..on my last try when I thought I done worst and was going to give up, was when I finally got 8.5 and 9s in each section, I was so shocked as I I didnt even try as hard n was losing motivation...do it again..you will get there in the end :)

Edited by xlornax

Hi Paul.

The reading test was my nemesis too. It was the true/false/not given where I lost marks every time I did a practice, so i'm pretty sure the same could be said for the marks I lost during the test itself. Luckily I got what I needed, but it was the only element causing me concern. I believe that they will only re-mark the subjective tests, such as writing and speaking. Gutted for you.

Cath

Hi Cath,

Did you pass first time?

Good luck with your move.

Its got alot to do with luck on the day...n u cant practice that! my results were very random on a each attempt..on my last try when I thought I done worst and was going to give up, was when I finally got 8.5 and 9s in each section, I was so shocked...do it again..you will get there in the end :)

Well done. It is a struggle but I cant give up now. 4th time lucky!!!

I will be doing this at the end of the year and I am really not looking forward to it. I hope it is 4th time lucky for you.How do I find out what I need to practice? I will be doing the Academic test and need high scores for points aswell.

Hi,

thanks, really hope it is 4th time lucky!!

i used http://ielts-simon.com for most of my study

good luck

Morning All,

I have just managed to view my IELTS results online this morning - disaster! I needed to get at least 8 in all categories (for points), I managed to get 8.5 in Listening, Writing and Speaking but Reading was scored as a 6.5. This was my third attempt at IELTS (7.5 in Writing previously), I got 9's for reading in both previous attempts and I was certain I blitzed it this time again. A 6.5 roughly equates to 32 / 40, I am finding it hard to believe I dropped so many marks.

Clutching at straws here but...

Do you think there may of been a typo when publishing the results online?

Has anyone encountered a scoring mistake on IELTS reading?

Is there any point on requesting a remark?

Or...

Do you think I should take it on the chin and book another test?

8's in IELTS is the last hurdle before applying for a visa but I am totally disheartened and now beginning to think I will never get to Oz.

many thanks,

Paul

Sorry mate, that sucks. A lot. I've heard of people paying for re-marks and getting much higher scores - if you're confident it might be worth it.

I dropped points on the reading and I've no idea why. I'm great at that kind of test - my job depends on it - and I finished the reading test in 20 minutes, so I had 40 to double, triple, then quadruple check my answers.

• 4 months later...