Partner Visa ( Subclass 820/801 ) 457 expires in September

katy78

Hello All,

I am currently on a Temporary Working Visa 457 but changing it to a Partner Visa. My boyfriend is Australian, we've been together for just over 2 years & living together for a year & a half. I'm reading on the forums here that Partner Visas are taking around 13 months to be granted & my 457 Visa runs out in September. Will I be granted a bridging visa when this happens & will this happen automatically? Would my Partner Visa go through quicker if I paid for a migration agent or an Immigration lawyer? I'd like to avoid this though as we really couldn't afford it. Also can anyone tell me when I need to pay for the Visa? I've begun applying online, is it when I submit the application?

Thanks in advance for any help! x

I would suggest that a migration agent may slow you down if anything. Your case sounds pretty simple and it's easy to get any answers you require while completing it on this forum. I did it myself and was granted within a couple of months (2 weeks after I got my medical and police checks). Get started now and hand out some stat decs to friends.

Your bridging visa will happen automatically and you pay on submission

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

You'll be given a Bridging Visa A as soon as you apply for the 820. It will not kick in (become active) until after your 457 expires. If your 457 expires before your visa being granted, you'll continue to be on the BVA until the visa is granted. The BVA gives you full work and study rights, and if you need to travel outside Australia you just need to apply for a BVB to allow you to temporarily leave and re-enter the country.

My guess is you'll get your 820 granted before your 457 expires, but at least this will give you peace of mind in case you don't. Do keep in mind, though, that you continue to be bound by the restrictions of the 457 (like needing a sponsoring employer) until your 457 expires or your partner visa is granted, whichever happens first.

Edited by CollegeGirl