Ielts band 8.too hard ,iam a tradesman my skills are in my hands

leey

:arghh:Sitting my 4th ielts exam next week and iam losing faith.speaking 8,writing 8, listening 7.5,reading 6 and 7.seems to be the same marks every time.no matter how much i practice i just cant seem to get there....passed my skills test no problem iam a bricklayer/stone mason and that is where my skill is.Anyone else having problems.......

Keep trying..your nearly there with your marks..I think some of it is just luck on the day..and the markers. .u r used to the format now too which you might feel isnt helping but it will have..if you need all 8s and another visa isnt an option then grit your teeth n try again..its a pain but im sure you will get there..n keep practicing the listening and reading. ..and visualise how you will feel when you do get all 8s..its a fantastic feeling that I too thought i would never get

Edited by xlornax

Have you been using the practice tests? I was appalled when I tried one and scored 6 on the reading (I am educated to degree honours level) When I looked at the correct answers I realised I needed to learn how to 'sit their test' rather than improve my English skills. I lost marks for using 'a' instead of 'the' and writing the word 'dollars' instead of using a symbol. Incredibly frustrating but easy to rectify once you know what they are looking for.

I am sitting my 1st test next month and have to achieve 8's also.

Can anyone recommend the best study aids, either book or online, to use in preparation?

Good luck with your next test. Cath

Have you been using the practice tests? I was appalled when I tried one and scored 6 on the reading (I am educated to degree honours level) When I looked at the correct answers I realised I needed to learn how to 'sit their test' rather than improve my English skills. I lost marks for using 'a' instead of 'the' and writing the word 'dollars' instead of using a symbol. Incredibly frustrating but easy to rectify once you know what they are looking for.

I am sitting my 1st test next month and have to achieve 8's also.

Can anyone recommend the best study aids, either book or online, to use in preparation?

Good luck with your next test. Cath

I googled IELTS practice tests and worked my way through those. I also looked over the revision aids and videos on the British Council website once I had paid for my test. The videos have lots of helpful tips.

Hi, thanks for your reply's .its the general test which iam taking on a 190 skilled visa and dont want to switch to another visa.just going to have to keep trying..ive gone through about 6 practice books and iam now using material online,until i run out of that,lol....ive heard of some people taking up to 10 attemps i hope i can pass before that.

Hi, I am due to sit the Academic IELTS exam on the 22 Feb and I am absolutely terrified!! It is task 2 of the writing part that I am most worried about, I am really worried in case I get a topic that I know nothing about which will make it harder for me. Did you find it ok?

Thanks in advance.

Vicki

Academic writing is all about presenting the "for" and "against" sides of an argument then making a conclusion.

Mine was on whether to go straight to uni or take a gap year first. Just scribble down thoughts as they come to you then pull them together into an argument.

The other bit was interpreting a report of the global production of bananas.

It's easy to say it's common sense but just try and stay cool but be mindful of allocating your time.

hi , if you feel you cant practice anymore because you dont feel its beneficial because you are getting the same scores roughly and its now your 4th attempt ...have you thought about paying for a few hours ielts private tutor tuition just to help with scoring points on structure and correct format ? i also need 8s and have booked for general test next month, but if i dont get them thats what i will be doing next.

Edited by Toodolou

Hi, I am due to sit the Academic IELTS exam on the 22 Feb and I am absolutely terrified!! It is task 2 of the writing part that I am most worried about, I am really worried in case I get a topic that I know nothing about which will make it harder for me. Did you find it ok?

Thanks in advance.

Vicki

hi , i had a topic i knew nothing about and was not interesting at all either . They are not marking you on your knowledge of the subject , just on how you structure your answer to the question

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
:biggrin:Finally done it ,after 8 months and 5 attempts....listening 8.5 reading 8.5 writing 8.5 speaking 9...

Well Done mate,, hubby would have had the exact same problems so i am so glad it wasnt around when we applied. Credit to you for hanging in there and for keeping trying.

Cal x

:biggrin:Finally done it ,after 8 months and 5 attempts....listening 8.5 reading 8.5 writing 8.5 speaking 9...

Well done! You'll be an inspiration to many other people. Someone with your determination is exactly the type of immigrant Australia needs. Best of luck for the future.

• 2 weeks later...
cant believe it .Finally passed the ielts and applied EOI and bricklayers have just come off the skills list( GUTTED)...

Really feel for you. My hubby is plumber, only attempted the test twice so now going for a 489 visa.

have you looked at regional state sponsorships, may still be on their lists?