moving on 457 with debts?

jameskristie

And think about how easy it is going to be to pay it off from oz. There are many horror stories of people not being able to get pr if they have come on 457 visas, or losing their job and having to leave before expected.

You don't want to go back to a bad credit rating.

Hi. You do not have to clear your debts for a 457. You can also open a bank account in Oz from uk.

Rupert, a 457 may be temporary but giving up your home, job, life and family is called emigrating.

457 can lead to PR and Citizenship which most people have done!

Hi. You do not have to clear your debts for a 457. You can also open a bank account in Oz from uk.

Rupert, a 457 may be temporary but giving up your home, job, life and family is called emigrating.

No, you can do all that and come on a tourist visa. Until you have pr in your hot little hand you may have no choice but to leave. That isn't emigrating. I speak as someone who was here for FIVE years on temp visa. Until I had pr I was still a visitor.

And just because it is possible to get pr from a 457 visa, it is in now way anywhere near guaranteed. Hang around the migration section for a while and you will see posts from very stresses people having to leave.

The 457 is a temporary work visa. It isn't emigrating and I would imagine that the vast majority of people who obtain a 457 only do so with that in mind and return to their country at the end of their contract. It is possible to apply for PR whilst on a 457, but you still need to qualify for that PR - being on a 457 doesn't guarantee that it will be granted. We were lucky, and as OH's job was on the CSOL we could apply for an 856 PR visa so that we could stay permanently. However about three months after we applied for and were granted our PR visa, his occupation was taken off both the CSOL and the SOL, meaning that we would have had no choice but to leave once our 457 ran out.

Edited by LKC
Spelling ;)

I obviously understand the 457 visa better than you Rooney. Yes 457 visa holders sometimes progress to PR and citizenship but the majority do not. They leave at the end of the job contract and sometimes leave sooner than expected if they lose their job. Just been posting on another thread, somebody didn't pass their probationary period at work so they possibly going back sooner than they ever intended.

Giving up a home and job in UK does not make it emigrating. I lived overseas in another country once on a temporary work permit and I never described it as emigrating or ever saw it that way. I was an expat, not a migrant, a temporary worker from overseas. Anyone moving on a 457 visa, should understand their visa properly and when I see someone apparently confusing a temporary move with emigrating, I will warn them. It may save them a lot of pain in the future, you on the other hand could lull them into a false sense of security.

When you've been on this forum a fair amount of time you will see so many stories where it has not worked out. The 457 is classed as a tempory visa and an employer can dismiss you or make you redundant as does happen time and time again.many people may well proceed to PR but it is not guaranteed far from it. If someone sells their house ships their belongings, then that's their choice and risk. As for leaving debt yes they can do it but if they have to return during or after the 4 years they are going to be in a heap of a mess.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Hi,

If u have loans and credit cards do these have to be cleared before emigrating?

I presume your real question is how do you continue to service your debts while you are away as opposed to walking away from them and coming back to a mess when you return.

Am I correct?

Actually it is a temporary visa and it is not emigrating.

I lived in the US for a few years on a work visa. I knew that it was temporary and that I had not 'emigrated', as it was not a green card.

A 457 does not automatically lead to PR and citizenship, your opinion is misleading.

Rupert was correct with her comment.

Rupert have you spoke to every 457 visa holder?

I work with 9 overseas people and each and everyone have got PR.

Your probationary period may have failed at one company but if get another sponsorship within 28 days then you can try again.

Just because 1 person failed doesnt mean they all do!.

This thread was about debts not 457. You have gone off track!!

Sammy we all know that 457 is temporary but each person has different views. They come out on that to see if they like it.

You are misleading people.

Its their choice what they do. I only stated the options available!!

Edited by rooney74

Your probationary period may have failed at one company but if get another sponsorship within 28 days then you can try again.

Sammy we all know that 457 is temporary but each person has different views. They come out on that to see if they like it.

It's not about different views, it's about simple facts. The 457 is a temporary visa.

Here have a read about it. Hint: there is a clue in the name.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx

You seem to be prolonging the debate on this, I answered OP in first post.

Edited by Rupert

Chill Rooney!!..... Sammy and Rupert are very experienced and well thought of contributors on PIO and they were both only commenting on part of the OPs original post. Neither of them have made misleading comments. The facts are that a 457 visa is a temporary work visa and you do not emigrate on a temporary work visa. Yes some people on 457 go on to PR, but for every person who does, there are more who do not and who return to their country of origin.

They come out on that to see if they like it.

Its their choice what they do.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Quit while you are ahead Rooney and leave these things to people who know the facts. Nothing beyond temporary residence is a certainty for that category of visa holder.

Edited by snifter
Rupert / Rooney confusion, see below! (plus mod fixed quote tags)

Blimey that opened a can of worms, I realise the difference in visas I just used the word emigrate badly and I have never walked away from a debt in my life.. I realise all the dangers and I will be taking all evidence with me needed to apply for pr. Cheers for all the replys.

But anyway, no, the only time debt stops you getting a visa is if you owe the Australian government, so you have nothing to worry about. :-)

I came on a 457, as did a lot of my friends. Yes some go to PR and citizenship - i have. But most go home. Of the people i came with (11 of us) Two of us are still here.

There are more than one post on here at the moment from people who are probably going to be leaving but dont want to. One works in my occupation and when he came there were so many jobs in what we do, it wasnt an issue. He has been made redundant this week on a 457 and there are now no jobs and the occupation is no longer available for state sponsorship