IELTS for 189 visa: academic or general?

Hey all

I have done quite a bit of searching through existing posts on the forum, and elsewhere, but can't find a conclusive answer to my question.

When applying for a 189 visa, do I need take an academic or general IELTS?

I have read that the rules have changed and that only one type is being accepted...but does anyone which one?!

My wife is a secondary school teacher and I am a university lecturer, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi nuttersuclan I believe it depends on occupation. I am a secondary teacher and took academic but didn't have to (made a mistake when booking then decided I may as well just sit that than wait for a new date!). So for teaching general is fine BUT I think some of the states teaching registration want you to have academic (but I am not 100% sure of that). Not sure if lecturing is different. Do you have an agent? If so they will advise. To be honest though there are only 2 parts of the test that are different and they were not too hard (sure a teacher and a lecturer should be able to do it no problem). I just went through the tips they gave on booking and didn't really 'study' and got 8.5 overall. I'd say go for the academic unless agent advises otherwise. :wink:

Hi Kooky

Thanks for the reply.

We haven't employed the services of an agent, no. To be honest, the whole process is expensive enough as it is, so for the sake of some additional research/time we opted not to.

I've had a look at some sample papers online and it looks fairly straightforward (I hope I don't regret that optimism in future!), but I just wanted to ensure that if we take the academic one it will be increase our points for the VISA application, should we be invited.

Unless I can find out otherwise, I think I'm going to go and book the academic one tomorrow!

Either General OR Academic is acceptable for purely points test purposes.

VETASSESS is responsible for assessing University Lecturers and they have no English language requirements. IELTS General would definitely be fine for you if you need IELTS for DIBP or points test purposes BUT, for a 189 visa, your wife must be the Primary Applicant as only her occupation is on the SOL - only applicants with SOL occupations can apply for a 189 as the primary applicant. You can't get Partner Skills points as a secondary applicant as your occupation is not on the same list as hers (yours is only on the CSOL) so you won't need skills assessment. There is no point in you doing IELTS at all if you're from an English speaking country or have other evidence of 'Functional English'.

If you are intending to go for a 189 visa and nominating University Lecturer as the primary applicant's occupation, or if you believe you can get Partner Skills points as a secondary applicant, you should seriously consider consulting one of the good RMAs who post on PIO or you could be up for a) disappointment and b) unnecessary expense. My apologies if I've misunderstood your intentions or something else about your situation.

For skills assessment and registration for a Secondary School Teacher...

When applying for a 189 visa and nominating your occupation as a Secondary School Teacher, you must first obtain a positive skills assessment from AITSL. The following is copied from the AITSL website:

Q13: How do I demonstrate English language proficiency? All applicants must meet the English language proficiency criterion. The criterion is informed by the nationally consistent teaching registration requirements which represent the standard of English required for teaching in Australia. All applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency by meeting one of the following options:

(i) An Academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test Report Form (TRF) that shows:

• a score of at least 7.0 for Reading and Writing; and
  • a score of at least 8.0 for Speaking and Listening.

The IELTS test scores must appear on a single IELTS TRF and be the result of a test undertaken during the 12 month period prior to submitting an application.

or

(ii) An applicant has completed at least four full years of study in higher education (university) in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America. This study must have resulted in award of qualification(s) comparable to the educational level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher and must include a recognised initial teacher education qualification.

Important Advice for applicants

Applicants who choose and submit evidence for option (ii) (4yrs study) but also submit an IELTS TRF should note that AITSL will consider the IELTS results. If the IELTS TRF does not meet the requirements of option (i) the application will be assessed as not meeting the English language proficiency criterion. Any subsequent application from the same applicant will require submission of a suitable Academic IELTS TRF to meet the English language proficiency criterion.

AITSL reserves the right to ask an applicant to undertake the Academic version of the International English Language Testing System IELTS examination if there is uncertainty about their level of English language proficiency. Applicants must achieve a score of seven (7.0) or more for Reading and Writing and a score of eight (8.0) or more for Speaking and Listening.

So, if you meet AITSL's requirements per (ii) above and need to do IELTS purely in order to get additional points on the points test, you can do IELTS General OR Academic. If you don't meet their English requirements per (ii) and must do IELTS for the purpose of meeting (i), you must do IELTS Academic. If there is any doubt about whether AITSL will consider that you meet (ii), you should do Academic and submit those results.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration/questions-and-answers.html#Q13 AITSL Questions and Answers

When it comes to teacher registration, each state has its own English language requirements which appear to be similar (though not identical) to those of AITSL. In each case, you won't need IELTS if you meet AITSL's (ii) requirements but if you need IELTS, it must be the Academic version.

http://www.qct.edu.au/PDF/PSU/Teacher_Registration_Guidelines.pdf Queensland teacher registration guidelines - see page 6

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registration/apply-for-registration/all-other-applicants/Pages/english-requirements.aspx Victoria

Edited by Ozmaniac

Either General OR Academic is acceptable for purely points test purposes.

VETASSESS is responsible for assessing University Lecturers and they have no English language requirements. IELTS General would definitely be fine for you if you need IELTS for DIBP or points test purposes BUT, for a 189 visa, your wife must be the Primary Applicant as only her occupation is on the SOL - only applicants with SOL occupations can apply for a 189 as the primary applicant. You can't get Partner Skills points as a secondary applicant as your occupation is not on the same list as hers (yours is only on the CSOL) so you won't need skills assessment. There is no point in you doing IELTS at all if you're from an English speaking country or have other evidence of 'Functional English'.

Thanks for the advice OzManiac. I thought that partners had to be skills assessed for all visa applications? Doesn't it stipulate that applicants must both be on the SOL or CSOL lists (and the same one as each other, too)?

If not, I'm not sure the wife will like this, as all the pressure is on her!

For skills assessment and registration for a Secondary School Teacher...

When applying for a 189 visa and nominating your occupation as a Secondary School Teacher, you must first obtain a positive skills assessment from AITSL. The following is copied from the AITSL website:

Q13: How do I demonstrate English language proficiency? All applicants must meet the English language proficiency criterion. The criterion is informed by the nationally consistent teaching registration requirements which represent the standard of English required for teaching in Australia. All applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency by meeting one of the following options:

(i) An Academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Test Report Form (TRF) that shows:

• a score of at least 7.0 for Reading and Writing; and

• a score of at least 8.0 for Speaking and Listening.

The IELTS test scores must appear on a single IELTS TRF and be the result of a test undertaken during the 12 month period prior to submitting an application.

or

(ii) An applicant has completed at least four full years of study in higher education (university) in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America. This study must have resulted in award of qualification(s) comparable to the educational level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher and must include a recognised initial teacher education qualification.

Important Advice for applicants

Applicants who choose and submit evidence for option (ii) (4yrs study) but also submit an IELTS TRF should note that AITSL will consider the IELTS results. If the IELTS TRF does not meet the requirements of option (i) the application will be assessed as not meeting the English language proficiency criterion. Any subsequent application from the same applicant will require submission of a suitable Academic IELTS TRF to meet the English language proficiency criterion.

AITSL reserves the right to ask an applicant to undertake the Academic version of the International English Language Testing System IELTS examination if there is uncertainty about their level of English language proficiency. Applicants must achieve a score of seven (7.0) or more for Reading and Writing and a score of eight (8.0) or more for Speaking and Listening.

So, if you meet AITSL's requirements per (ii) above and need to do IELTS purely in order to get additional points on the points test, you can do IELTS General OR Academic. If you don't meet their English requirements per (ii) and must do IELTS for the purpose of meeting (i), you must do IELTS Academic. If there is any doubt about whether AITSL will consider that you meet (ii), you should do Academic and submit those results.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration/questions-and-answers.html#Q13 AITSL Questions and Answers

When it comes to teacher registration, each state has its own English language requirements which appear to be similar (though not identical) to those of AITSL. In each case, you won't need IELTS if you meet AITSL's (ii) requirements but if you need IELTS, it must be the Academic version.

http://www.qct.edu.au/PDF/PSU/Teacher_Registration_Guidelines.pdf Queensland teacher registration guidelines - see page 6

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registration/apply-for-registration/all-other-applicants/Pages/english-requirements.aspx Victoria

Thanks for that additional information, it's a bit clearer now!

• 1 year later...

Dear all,

Could you clarify some details related to the language test requirements for skilled nominated visa (subclass 190)? I wonder would the Department for Immigration and Border Protection accept Academic version of IELTS. I understand the minimum score of IELTS test (in each band 6) for visa application. However, I read that I need only to take general training test unless assessing authority tells us otherwise. Assessing authority (VETASSESS) doesn’t require any certificate of English language. But, I am wondering is Academic IELTS acceptable for the visa 190 application?

Thank you very much for your time.

• 1 year later...

quick question if anyone can help please.

I am a nurse and I have had to do the academic IELTs for the ANMAC assessment, however I did the general IELTs exams first and achieved higher results in this. for the 189 visa could I use my general IELTs test results even though I had to use the academic for the ANMAC? Or do I need to be consistent and use the same results?

Using the general test results would get me an extra 10 points in the points test.

quick question if anyone can help please.

I am a nurse and I have had to do the academic IELTs for the ANMAC assessment, however I did the general IELTs exams first and achieved higher results in this. for the 189 visa could I use my general IELTs test results even though I had to use the academic for the ANMAC? Or do I need to be consistent and use the same results?

Using the general test results would get me an extra 10 points in the points test.

You can use a different test for the DIBP application than you used for the skills assessment. This is often done when the academic one is needed for a skills assessment but the applicant scores higher on the general one for points.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello, your question seems quite similar to mine so thought you could help me shed some light on 189 visa for Registered nurse. I did not have to do enlish test for registration as I had five years worth of study in Australia. After that I did academic test twice and couldnt get score in writing. Today I was checking the immigration site again and it quotes "Take the general training test unless your assessing authority tells you otherwise". What do you think I should do as I am about to book ielts test again. Thank you. 

On 12 July 2018 at 06:16, Reshma0529 said:

Hello, your question seems quite similar to mine so thought you could help me shed some light on 189 visa for Registered nurse. I did not have to do enlish test for registration as I had five years worth of study in Australia. After that I did academic test twice and couldnt get score in writing. Today I was checking the immigration site again and it quotes "Take the general training test unless your assessing authority tells you otherwise". What do you think I should do as I am about to book ielts test again. Thank you. 

For visa purposes you only need general ILETS. Hence it is common for nurses to do academic for the skills assessment and general for the visa points