Hopes dashed!!!!

lano8530

Myself and my family had been hoping to make the big move to Aus in Dec we were relying on a loan to do so as we are not really in a position to save!! just heard back from mathilda re visa $7000 we were really not expecting it to be this much!! our hope has now vanished feeling pretty down today in miserable Ireland!!! rant over!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had that unwelcome bill recently too, iff only we had been in a position to move over this time last year before they put all the prices up.

But it will maybe make for less folks applying when you are in a position to apply, so increase your chnaces of success.

Friends of ours DID get a loan to leave (plus Horse, plus dogs) and are now settled in Victoria, but her father/sister live there and are citizens etc so perhaps that made a difference with regard to a financial cushion. Really not sure, don't like to ask.

To be honest, the costs (which have gone up 2013-14) could hamper us too - will see what is what down the road as the saying goes, but I do feel for you.

I'm a student at the moment and we're living on my OH's wage alone.

Once I qualify I have calculated that we will need to do the following to pay for the whole process (189 or 190) for the 2 of us:

* I will need to put away 760 pounds a month of my wage for a minimum of 2 years

* OH will need to throw in up to a couple of hundred where possible

* We will need to access his 15000 pound inheritance early

* PLUS realistically we will need to add at least 30% for unplanned costs.

* Oh and I'm actually converting 100 of each student loan payment to dollars to get a headstart on spending money (that's a whopping 300 pounds a year)

Not yet sure if that factors in the reccie trip or not.

I know for a fact it wont all go to plan, but that's how it stands right now.

We have applied for 190 visa and used an agent, taking into account all costs of visa, agent, skills test, certifying of documents, meds, police checks etc for us all it has cost us about £9000. Visa was just under £4k alone!

Just shipping, flights, deposits for bills and rentals, spending money while you search for work and car rego left then lol :sly: xxx

I'm a student at the moment and we're living on my OH's wage alone.

Once I qualify I have calculated that we will need to do the following to pay for the whole process (189 or 190) for the 2 of us:

* I will need to put away 760 pounds a month of my wage for a minimum of 2 years

* OH will need to throw in up to a couple of hundred where possible

* We will need to access his 15000 pound inheritance early

* PLUS realistically we will need to add at least 30% for unplanned costs.

* Oh and I'm actually converting 100 of each student loan payment to dollars to get a headstart on spending money (that's a whopping 300 pounds a year)

Not yet sure if that factors in the reccie trip or not.

I know for a fact it wont all go to plan, but that's how it stands right now.

wow you sound super focused and organised , we are only able to fund it because we sold our house and had a little bit of equity , however smaller costs like aphra / anmac / ielts / movecube , we will pay as they arise

wow you sound super focused and organised

You should see the spreadsheet!!!

I'm not looking forward to AHPRA, but I needn't worry about them until I've tackled ANZPAC (Podiatry).

I just keep updating the prices and the exchange rate on my spreadsheet... that was no fun at all last year when the visa costs went up!!

And do they ever reduce the price?

Quite! At least the $AUD has devalued about 25% against the £ since the latest price hike so the difference is not as great as it might have been. But visa costs are just one element of the costs. If you are relocating your family you need a serious amount of money to do so regardless of the visa cost.

Friends of ours DID get a loan to leave (plus Horse, plus dogs) and are now settled in Victoria, but her father/sister live there and are citizens etc so perhaps that made a difference with regard to a financial cushion. Really not sure, don't like to ask.

To be honest, the costs (which have gone up 2013-14) could hamper us too - will see what is what down the road as the saying goes, but I do feel for you.

we have a close family member who has residency we would be staying with them until we find our feet!! the loan would have been paid monthly through some income we have here and the loan would be for home improvements lol!! this was such a big blow tho!!

Myself and my family had been hoping to make the big move to Aus in Dec we were relying on a loan to do so as we are not really in a position to save!! just heard back from mathilda re visa $7000 we were really not expecting it to be this much!! our hope has now vanished feeling pretty down today in miserable Ireland!!! rant over!!!

Probably just a typo, but the total cost for the visa process wouldn't be anywhere near $7,000 for a family (I'm assuming at least a couple and one child). £7,000 GBP would be closer to the mark depending on the number of applicants.

Other than the visa process the other costs of relocation cannot be underestimated. Anyone thinking of migrating permanently really needs to research the cost of living and initial relocation....It really can be huge.

Probably just a typo, but the total cost for the visa process wouldn't be anywhere near $7,000 for a family (I'm assuming at least a couple and one child). £7,000 GBP would be closer to the mark depending on the number of applicants.

Other than the visa process the other costs of relocation cannot be underestimated. Anyone thinking of migrating permanently really needs to research the cost of living and initial relocation....It really can be huge.

oh has $1300 to pay first then $7000 for all of us afterwards, independantly it costs £5400. can we go on a temp visa as a family?

The relocation costs were the smaller costs for me (if you ignore bringing the dog). We sold everything we owned in the uk. Bought cheap cars in oz, got lots of things off freecycle and garage sales, and bought most things cheap (except mattress etc).

Visas and Medicals etc (I've had to do four lots of Medicals and police checks for both countries) to end up with PR. As well as three different visas to pay for, ohhhh and $20k on Tafe fees. ;-)

Ive always took the position that if you want something bad enough you always find a way...and that is not me saying beg or borrow but just that I feel determined people always somehow manage to reach their goals, don't let it ruin your plans...just tweak them....:wink:

I'd say you need to do way more research: 1. $7000 for the visa really isn't that much. 2. What about the cost of shipping your stuff? 3. What about the money you need to setup in Australia? (cars? a month's rent + bond is likely to be $4k at minimum). 3. What about the cost of flights? 4. Lastly, your desire move in December (which is the most expensive time of year for flights) will not be factored into immigrations plans - you'll get your visa when they're good an ready to grant it and not a day before...