we are outta here!!!!

johnd

hi all,

my wife and i have booked our flights for 27th june and put our notice(s) in at work. we sold the house 8 months ago so we are ready to go, and we can't wait.

i regularly read the posts on the forum and it seems to me that sometimes people are asking questions that they already know the answer to, ie: uk v oz, which is better?.

they then seem to tie themselves in knots about the possible negatives of living in oz, but are forgetting the reasons that they probably want to leave the uk for in the first place.

i am fortunate to have lived in oz before and it had a negative side to it as life in the uk has,(everywhere has). i suppose it depends on where you live in the uk, where i come from, teesside, I feel that the crime, and general feel of the area has got worse, even though the town i live in has not got 'big city problems'. this is only my opinion and instead of complaining about how i feel the country has gone for the last 10-15 years i'm doing something about it, for better or worse.if i lived in a different area of the uk and was esatblished there who knows i might feel differently.

i just think that the main reasons for moving to oz are:

1- employment, looks good for our fields ,better than uk for me.

2- housing, where we are going to live we'll get a lot for our money.

3- weather, goes without saying.

4- friends and family, us living there will be a great opportunity for them to visit oz.

5- crime, although i expereienced petty crime in oz myself ,i never felt threatened by gangs of feral youths as in uk.

6- immigration, the immigration/asylum/illegal immigrant situation is a complete mess in the uk, nobody can tell the difference between genuine cases of asylum, or who is a legal immigrant and who is not, they certainly will not have had to go through the process we have had to go through to get into the country(oz). at least in oz if you meet a fellow migrant you'll know he/she has had to jump through hoops to get there and is not arriving there empty handed and asking for handouts. i know that there will be people who will complain about this post, and say things like ,'there is a difference between an asylum seeker and a migrant illegal or otherwise'. i am aware of this but i sometimes wonder if the uk authorities can tell the difference(it is costing uk taxpayer millions).

7- uk underclass, i drive to work everyday through a part of town that is populated by our very own white under class. why are they under class?, well whilst i'm off for a 12 hour stint in the steel plant these lot are sat outside drinking beer at 2o'clock on a wednesday afternoon, and its not just one house. who is paying for all this?????. i know i am generalising but anyone who has lived in the north east uk for any length of time will know what i'm talking about. i'm aware of the scumbags living in oz, i experienced them the last time i lived there, but there is less of them.

8- the challenge, why not go to another country even if you only just end up with the same standard of living?. and at the end of the day there are a lot of brits doing it, why????, see above.

some people think that i might have ranted on but those were just the things that make my BP go up when i watch the news/read the paper/walk down the street. and in true british fashion we all talk about it on a saturday night in the pub and say 'something should be done', but when it comes to doing something we don't. well my wife and i are going to, we're off. i don't care if people do not agree with me they are my opinions/reasons and the main ones for moving abroad. i know it could be hard to get estblished in oz but we are going to give it 110%, and if we have to return to the uk at least we have give it our best shot and i know we'll enjoy the challenge.

johnd

Guest Trish

Here Here! We feel the same good luck, and do you know we are not to big to come back and say it was not for us if it should not work.

Are you sure your not my husband? cause you sure sound like him!!!

Good luck mate,

Trish (The cheshire cat from last week)

Absolutely perfectly put John!

Trish l will phone you honest, just on a mission at the mo getting house finished to put up for sale! If you drive by you will see the chaos at Hay Street! and keep grinning, it must be a fantastic feeling, l cant wait to know what you feel like ! :wink: :D

Lyn x

Here Here, we fully agree too with everything and is exact reasons why we are doing and cant wait.

Have a fab time and make most of it and hope it will be for good as definately a better way of living in OZ.

Hope to see everyone on poms at some point in oz to put faces to names.

All the best in your new future Jond :notworthy:

Lynne & Tony:D :jiggy:

Guest Ian&Lou

Hi John,

I dont think I could have put it better myself! I think you have echo'd the majority of peoples thoughts/reasons on leaving.

Good luck in Oz! I'm sure with your positive attitude you'll fit in really well!

Lou

Guest The.Colebecks

Excellent post Johnd :yes: well rounded from the point of view that you have experienced living in both the UK & Oz.

So glad to hear that you are all set to embark on a different way of life for you and your family.

Safe journey.

Hugs

Karen x

Guest jonseywife

GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH.........

I think we all feel the same on here........ you have just confirmed most of the reasons why we were going too!!!!!!!!

Hope it all works out for you..........

Sally-ann :wink:

Guest Abi&Dan

<i never felt threatened by gangs of feral youths as in uk.>

pmsl!!! :biglaugh: Just imagining the half jackal half human youths in teeside!

Great post, you've voiced what we're all thinking. I live in a supposedly reasonably nice area of hertfordshire and i will not walk out after dark on my own unless i have my trusty doberman by my side and even then i feel intimidated (may have something to do wih my dog being totally pathectic and scared of cats...ho hum!) the teenagers are rude violent and abusive, and i dont want mine becoming like them!

Good luck with your new life in Oz, with your attitude of working hard to make it work, i have no doubt that you will be one of the many who succeed.

hays:laugh:

Guest Rachel&Stu

Great post, agree with what you're saying and the other responses on here.

Just a bit worried bout all the people we're leaving behind who have absolutely no chance of jumping ship....

Good luck with your new life:jiggy:

Rachel

Just to add to what JohnD was saying - great post by the way.

I've just been into our 'town' today, if you can call it a town. It consists of boarded up shops complete with urine stains, cash machines with the remnants of last night's pizza over the keyboard, bins that reek of puke, big globs of sputum and chewing gum on the pavements, gaggles of pale faced, chip eating youths, swearing and shouting, people that you daren't make eye contact with, groups of eastern european men hanging around in groups, the "gerrearnah" brigade - you know the ones - the parents that scream at their kids to "get here now" but it comes out as "gerrearnah". It makes me ashamed and to some degree, it makes me feel like a snob because I know that me and mine are better than this.

I read a post recently, (can't remember who the author was - sorry) but the gist of it was that the person writing the post wasn't really fussed either way whether she went to Oz or stayed in the UK and I agreed with that and I felt the same. But I think what I've seen today has tipped the scales somewhat in favour of Oz. I don't want my daughter living and growing up in this hellhole of a town. I've lived here all my 37 years and I don't want that to happen to Hayleigh.

I also worry about the people we are leaving behind like Rachael&Stu said. I feel like we're turning our backs on them and leaving them to it but there comes a time when you have to be selfish and do whats best for you. I feel we are in a privileged position and we have to take advantage of it.

So we are going to plough on with the Visa application and take each day as it comes and if I ever need a reminder of why we are doing this I'll just nip into town after work. That ought to do it!!!! :yes:

Well nice post. I really couldn't have put it better myself. We are leaving the Uk for the same reasons. We can't see any future for ourselves in this country anymore. We're tired of working all the hours that God sends to pay our taxes, pay our mortgage, pay our bills etc etc. Hopefully our new life in Oz will give us the chance to spend more "quality" time together, and hopefully a bit less stress. I'm sure that's not asking for too much. Have a very safe flight to Oz and I wish you the best of luck in your new life.

Btw Sharman whereabouts in Rotherham are you. I spent 26yrs in South Yorkshire myself.

Hi Debsx.

35 years in Kimberworth and the rest in Bramley. Where did you Live in south Yorks?

We visited one of our town parks the other week. Clifton Park - the jewel in our crown!! God help us!! Between dodging the dog dirt, broken bottles and kids drinking alcopops we just about managed a half hour rollerblading outing for our Hayleigh. And if we wanted to answer the call of nature, the sign read "Toilets open from May to September". Just as well we didn't hang around eh??

Tracey :jiggy:

I spent 26 years in sunny Thurnscoe. I'm sure you know it. In fact i used to work in Rotherham. Many many moons ago I used to work in the Video Shop just up the road from the Police Station, and if memory serves me well one of the girls I used to work with was from Kimberworth. Too long ago for me to remember her name though. Old age and poverty has caught up with me. Sometimes head up that way though to try and keep in touch with old friends that I grew up with. Can't say I would be in any major rush to head back up there to live though, but then things aren't a bunch of roses in the Southern half of the country either.

laters

Debbie

Hi, I am so pleased to hear your enthusiasm! We have booked our flights for sept 3rd and I nearly cancelled them after reading some stuff on this site earlier today. You have really cheered me up and i am feeling so much more positive. Its the missing friends and family etc...yes of course I know it isn't going to be easy but some people make it sound like we are going to "hell" . Thank you for your excellent post, and there are plenty more friends to be made!!

Hi Johnd

Agree completely. We are also teessiders. Just starting off with our application.

Think I know the part of town you are talkin about. Is it where the "white under class" bring out their three peice suites and place them in the front garden so the are comfortable whilst they spend the day drinking lager?

Where abouts in Oz are you going to? We are planning on Perth as we were there last Oct and have friends there. I am hoping for a better life for my two boys, 2yrs and 4yrs old. Don't think I could cope when they get to the age where they want to go down the "boro" for a night out. (I'm sure you know what I mean).

Good Luck,

Have a wonderful life,

Ali

Here Here excellent post very positive.

You definetly only live once and who cares if it doesnt work out we can always (shudder) come home or even better try somewhere new.

Good luck with the new life let us know how it goes.

Kiki, Kelvin, Max 6 and Millie 2.5

Guest Nicki Kefford

Ditto again.A beautiful country to be leaving behind, but glad to get away for all of the reasons evryone has posted.

Relieved too that there are likeminded people still out there!!!

Good luck to everyone with hopes and dreams of OZ!!!!

Nicki

hello alimal,

we are actually from billingham, and i work in hartlepool so the beautiful part of town i'm refering to were the scum drink there beer is in h'pool itself. with it being such a nice day they will all be out ,yes ,on their settees watching the world go by!!.

we intend to live in wollongong nsw, if only cos i've lived there before and i have relatives there, and its a bit cooler temp wise than perth.

i am in some ways already homesick............homesick for billingham circa 1985, it was quite a pleasent place to live then, as was most of teesside, or maybe i've changed.

its hard to explain to people who are staying why we are going cos you can't say ,its a dump ,when someone likes where they live. in a way i envy them they are settled in the uk and happy, they don't have to go to the other side of the world to find a settled life, or maybe they are kidding themselves about how they really feel in britain today. as i've always said i would'nt knock anyone for staying in the uk as it still has its positive sides despite the problems. its just not for us, we want something different.

time for a mini rant......... bumped into a person who i haven't seen for a number of months last night in a local pub, he used to play rugby at my club, he asked me if i was still playing,(retired this year at 37), i said no but we are going to oz anyway, he said and i quote: 'oh australia, lots of unemployment there, you'll be lucky to get a job'.

SOD OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, why do people say things like this it really ticked me off,(it didn't bother my wife), he then went to spread his obvious charms on one of the bar staff, leaving me thinking, i would never hit someone with a negative comment like that,he didn't even have time to take in what i'd said before he blurted it out. If another person was moving abroad or changing jobs/lifestyle change etc. I would be happy for them and ask a few questions about what they were doing. if i had a negative opinion and i felt that they REALLY needed to know then i would enter it in the conversation subtley.

maybe i'm being over sensitive cos we are going soon, all i know is that my close family and friends are pleased for us,(if a little envious), and my relatives in oz can't wait to see us.

and even if its hard work in oz at least i won't have to speak to my negative friend again!

a hung over johnd,(drinking far too much!)

Archived