190 subclass visa - path and processing time

Hi,

Great forum, good to be here!

Do you guys have an idea about the processing times for 190 subclass visa and the steps to follow.

I have lodged my files with VETASSESS intially hoping for Employer Nomination Scheme. Unfortunately the employer is no longer interested :swoon: and I have to go through the 190 subclass (my occupation is on the CSOL list).

I have done the following so far:

1. Started the process with VETASSESS initially for Skill Assessment, now also added Point Test Assessment.

2. In the meantime passed IELTS.

I understand that the next step after receiving assessment from VETASSESS is to submit the Expression of Interest (EOI).

How long does it takes to get the approval after EOI and what are the next steps and processing times.

I would greatly appreciate your advise :notworthy:

Hi and welcome to PIO,

If you're going for 190 with state sponsorship, SS, then you need to investigate which states are sponsoring your occupation. If you haven't already done this then you need to go to skillselect http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ then open the 'Skilled Workers' tab and then open the 'Invitation and Selection Process' sub heading. In here you will find links to all the individual state websites. They are all set out differently and take a bit of navigating but all the state occupation lists are hiding there somewhere.

After you've chosen the state you wish to go to you then need to apply to that state for sponsorship. They all have different criteria to meet and some charge while other don't. Also some require you to have already lodged your EOI I believe while again others don't mind which order you do the applications in. When you fill out your EOI make sure you only select the one state that you are applying to from the list, don't select more than 1 or just the 'all' option as some states get a bit picky if you have not just gone for them as they see it as you're not committed to moving to them.

You will need your positive skills assessment back before you can apply for the visa and possibly before you can finish your EOI and SS. (Can't quite remember 100% on that last point). You say you've also applied for Points Test with your skills assessment? Do you mean the employment skills points assessment to pass onto DIAC? If so have you paid for it yet as quite often you don't actually need it unless your case officer requests it, normally when you fill out your EOI you can specify your work experience and whether or not it is relevant to your application. As long as you can back up any claims with employers statements, pay slips etc (the same ones you need for skills assessment) then generally the case officer will assess the information and confirm your points. TBH the points assessments seems to be a bit of a scam, the TRA has just hiked it's fees up from $300 to $900/$1100 for the service.

Good luck with it all

Hi

I'm at the Visa application phase (last step before Visa Grant) and waiting on a case officer. I began the process in Nov 2012 and this is my timeline:

24.09.12 - First Call with Agent (Eligible for 190 Visa with ACT SS)

25.09.12 - Decision made. Began collating documents for Application

06.11.12 - All doc's certified and sent via email to Agent

06.11.12 - Skills Assessment application submitted online

15.11.12 - All Hard-copy certified doc's send to Agent in Sydney (£35 delivery charge later!!)

21.11.12 - All Hardcopies received by VETASSESS, processing begins

01.12.12 - IELTS results online received

06.12.12 - Received my IELTS certificate through the post

…and then we waited 16 weeks!

28.03.13 - Skills assessment Negative (Degree is equivalent to Associates not Bachelors as required)

05.04.13 - Skills Assessment resubmitted (Change in occupation)

08.04.13 - Positive Skills Assessment received! Decided to change nominating State to WA

11.04.13 - EOI lodged and WA SS application submitted

01.05.13 - UK PCC application posted

03.05.13 - WA State Sponsorship approved (15 working days)

07.05.13 - Invite received from DIAC to apply for Visa

08.05.13 - Visa application submitted to DIAC

This should give you a good idea of expected timeframes but bank on no more than 11 months end-to-end if all goes smoothly

C

Hi and welcome to PIO,

You will need your positive skills assessment back before you can apply for the visa and possibly before you can finish your EOI and SS. (Can't quite remember 100% on that last point). You say you've also applied for Points Test with your skills assessment? Do you mean the employment skills points assessment to pass onto DIAC? If so have you paid for it yet as quite often you don't actually need it unless your case officer requests it, normally when you fill out your EOI you can specify your work experience and whether or not it is relevant to your application. As long as you can back up any claims with employers statements, pay slips etc (the same ones you need for skills assessment) then generally the case officer will assess the information and confirm your points. TBH the points assessments seems to be a bit of a scam, the TRA has just hiked it's fees up from $300 to $900/$1100 for the service.

Good luck with it all

Thanks gbus! I have gone by the book with VETASSESS and hopefully DIAC will process my application without any delays. I have paid only about $90 extra for the point test (on top of about $700 for the skills assessment).

Please let me know how long you have waited for DIAC to assess your application after receiving state invitation?

Thank you for the tip with state selection. On my EOI, I have selected all states but because I don't have my VETASSESS assessment yet, the EOI couldn't be submitted (luckily):huh:. I will then change it to the one, carefully chosen state.

Hi

Thanks claudiodr!

So it looks like VETASSESS process the application much longer that it suggests on their website : 12 weeks :jiggy:. On the other hand, it was Christmas and seems like the application wasn't straight forward. Any way, congratulations and good luck with the VISA.

Hi

I'm at the Visa application phase (last step before Visa Grant) and waiting on a case officer. I began the process in Nov 2012 and this is my timeline:

24.09.12 - First Call with Agent (Eligible for 190 Visa with ACT SS)

25.09.12 - Decision made. Began collating documents for Application

06.11.12 - All doc's certified and sent via email to Agent

06.11.12 - Skills Assessment application submitted online

15.11.12 - All Hard-copy certified doc's send to Agent in Sydney (£35 delivery charge later!!)

01.12.12 - IELTS results online received

06.12.12 - Received my IELTS certificate through the post

28.03.13 - Skills assessment Negative (Degree is equivalent to Associates not Bachelors as required)

05.04.13 - Skills Assessment resubmitted (Change in occupation)

08.04.13 - Positive Skills Assessment received! Decided to change nominating State to WA

11.04.13 - EOI lodged and WA SS application submitted

01.05.13 - UK PCC application posted

03.05.13 - WA State Sponsorship approved (15 working days)

07.05.13 - Invite received from DIAC to apply for Visa

08.05.13 - Visa application submitted to DIAC

This should give you a good idea of expected timeframes but bank on no more than 11 months end-to-end if all goes smoothly

C

Hi everyone and hi claudiodr

claudiodr, can I ask you a couple of questions about your skills assessment(s)? you mentioned that you received a negative response to your first skills assessment application on 28/03 after waiting 16 weeks, but then after submitting a second skills assessment based on a different occupation, you got a positive response back only a few days later... How did that happen so quickly?... Were you able to relate the second application back to the first or did you have to start from the beginning? Were you able to ask Vetassess to use some of the same documentation you'd already submitted? Did you have to pay again?...

I also wondered (a bit off-topic, sorry!) if you'd mind me asking if you can say any more about the reason for the refusal relating to your qualification?... Do you know how you know whether a qualification is going to be accepted as relevant/right level etc?

The reason i ask is that I submitted a skills assessment last august(ish) that was refused and the reason was that my bachelors degree was determined not highly relevant enough to my nominated occupation (project administrator), so I needed 24 months' relevant work experience instead of 12. I am ready to apply again (I think!) but I'm also going to be changing the occupation (to contract administrator). I used to be a project manager then i left my job and studied law for a couple of years, then I started my job doing procurement, managing supplier contracts. I've been in the job 13 months, and due to the time out that i took for my law studies i think none of my previous work experience counts for anything as it was over 5 years ago. And my bachelors degree still won't be relevant enough, so I'm therefore relying on my law studies (ie a graduate diploma in law which included a module on contract law, and a postgraduate diploma in legal practice which included a module on commercial contracts) being highly relevant enough and at a high enough level so that my 13 months' work experience is enough...

a visa agent in his initial free consultation seemed pretty confident that everything would be ok, but I haven't signed up as a client so he doesn't know my case in detail... And given that i already lost however many hundred quid on the first failed skills assessment I'm a bit nervous about submitting another one!!

On the other hand I'm desperate to finally be able to get things moving!! (So if the having already done a previous skills assessment can help hurry things along in any way I'd be so keen to hear about it!!)

​thanks for any helpful hints at all!....

Please let me know how long you have waited for DIAC to assess your application after receiving state invitation?

My EOI was approved by DIAC almost immediately after my SS was granted. The rest of the process took around 3 months to get to final visa grant, that could probably have been less but we had to wait around 6 weeks to book our meds in school half term holidays. I did have all my paperwork ready to upload though in preparation.

Hi everyone and hi claudiodr

claudiodr, can I ask you a couple of questions about your skills assessment(s)? you mentioned that you received a negative response to your first skills assessment application on 28/03 after waiting 16 weeks, but then after submitting a second skills assessment based on a different occupation, you got a positive response back only a few days later... How did that happen so quickly?... Were you able to relate the second application back to the first or did you have to start from the beginning? Were you able to ask Vetassess to use some of the same documentation you'd already submitted? Did you have to pay again?...

I also wondered (a bit off-topic, sorry!) if you'd mind me asking if you can say any more about the reason for the refusal relating to your qualification?... Do you know how you know whether a qualification is going to be accepted as relevant/right level etc?

The reason i ask is that I submitted a skills assessment last august(ish) that was refused and the reason was that my bachelors degree was determined not highly relevant enough to my nominated occupation (project administrator), so I needed 24 months' relevant work experience instead of 12. I am ready to apply again (I think!) but I'm also going to be changing the occupation (to contract administrator). I used to be a project manager then i left my job and studied law for a couple of years, then I started my job doing procurement, managing supplier contracts. I've been in the job 13 months, and due to the time out that i took for my law studies i think none of my previous work experience counts for anything as it was over 5 years ago. And my bachelors degree still won't be relevant enough, so I'm therefore relying on my law studies (ie a graduate diploma in law which included a module on contract law, and a postgraduate diploma in legal practice which included a module on commercial contracts) being highly relevant enough and at a high enough level so that my 13 months' work experience is enough...

a visa agent in his initial free consultation seemed pretty confident that everything would be ok, but I haven't signed up as a client so he doesn't know my case in detail... And given that i already lost however many hundred quid on the first failed skills assessment I'm a bit nervous about submitting another one!!

On the other hand I'm desperate to finally be able to get things moving!! (So if the having already done a previous skills assessment can help hurry things along in any way I'd be so keen to hear about it!!)

​thanks for any helpful hints at all!....

Hi

Yes, I contacted VETASSESS and the assessing agent recommended that I change my occupation. My agent then ensured that the same assessing agent reassessed my app as she was already familiar with the case. Since she had already assessed my qualification, all she needed to do was assess my work experience and that was why I submitted the tweaked reference letters. Also, since we discussed the negative response, she said that I could resubmit the new documents under the new occupation free of charge...even my agent was surprised by this.

The assessing agent was a real star, super helpful and supportive; and very sympathetic (I may have played the wounded puppy a bit:-).

Re the qualification - I did my degree in South Africa and was told it is equivalent to a Bachelors degree in Aus. When I submitted, the assessment was negative as the qualification was only equivalent to an Associates degree; I was 6 credits short of a Bachelors.

My suggestion would be to speak to an agent, it doesn't sound like your case is straight forward so professional advice is the way to go

​C

My EOI was approved by DIAC almost immediately after my SS was granted. The rest of the process took around 3 months to get to final visa grant, that could probably have been less but we had to wait around 6 weeks to book our meds in school half term holidays. I did have all my paperwork ready to upload though in preparation.

Thanks gbuss, really helpful. Do you think it would be sensible to book meds and apply for a police check once I receive positive VETASESS assessment and submit EOI? I assume that I will get sponsored by the state (already called the state's immigration department and they see no formal objectives). I have 3 countries to do police check.

Thanks gbuss, really helpful. Do you think it would be sensible to book meds and apply for a police check once I receive positive VETASESS assessment and submit EOI? I assume that I will get sponsored by the state (already called the state's immigration department and they see no formal objectives). I have 3 countries to do police check.

Hi,

I really have no idea TBH on police check processing times outside of the UK or how long the waiting list is for medicals right now wherever you're situated.

Without wanting to sound dismissive, I think you probably need to look into the times in the various countries and decide for yourself.

Once you do receive your invite you have 60 days to submit all of your info but you will be given allowances for items such as police checks that are beyond your control.

Hi

Yes, I contacted VETASSESS and the assessing agent recommended that I change my occupation. My agent then ensured that the same assessing agent reassessed my app as she was already familiar with the case. Since she had already assessed my qualification, all she needed to do was assess my work experience and that was why I submitted the tweaked reference letters. Also, since we discussed the negative response, she said that I could resubmit the new documents under the new occupation free of charge...even my agent was surprised by this.

The assessing agent was a real star, super helpful and supportive; and very sympathetic (I may have played the wounded puppy a bit:-).

Re the qualification - I did my degree in South Africa and was told it is equivalent to a Bachelors degree in Aus. When I submitted, the assessment was negative as the qualification was only equivalent to an Associates degree; I was 6 credits short of a Bachelors.

My suggestion would be to speak to an agent, it doesn't sound like your case is straight forward so professional advice is the way to go

​C

Thank you!

Guess I'll dig out the response paperwork and see if there's a name or something of someone to contact and see if they'll give me any advice directly....

I'm really wavering on whether to use an agent as they're so expensive!! Having already lost some money on it I really don't want to throw away any more..... But I'm not sure whether that means using an agent or not using one... Guess ill see if Vetassess can help me, and if not, then make a decision....

Thanks again... Great to hear that it sounds like it's all working out for you!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Hey there...my advise is that start with your PCC immediately. As you have to get it from 3 different countries, it may be time consuming. Plus the PCC is valid for a period of 12 months. As far as the meds are concerned, i dont think you will be able to get that completed unless you have lodged your application. Do get the meds done, a transaction record number (TRN) is required which is obtained only after the visa application has been lodged..cheers!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey there...my advise is that start with your PCC immediately. As you have to get it from 3 different countries, it may be time consuming. Plus the PCC is valid for a period of 12 months. As far as the meds are concerned, i dont think you will be able to get that completed unless you have lodged your application. Do get the meds done, a transaction record number (TRN) is required which is obtained only after the visa application has been lodged..cheers!!

Hi amitgupte,

I am now in the stage where I have (1) received sponsorship from a state government, (2) submitted the visa application (paid lots of $$$$) and have my TRN number. While waiting for a final decision, we've done our medicals. I have also gathered the three police certificates - took me approx 3 weeks to get these. I would be hapy to send the certificates now but not sure exactly where as there are two offices involved I believe - Adelaide (address on my visa application confirmation) and Sydney (the main office). Probably I would risk loosing time sending the police checks to the wrong office so will sit and wait paitently - biting my and my family members nails from time to time :)

• 2 months later...

I need to do overseas police check too, but for the Hong Kong police check, I would need a referral letter from the case officer in order to obtain it. My agent said when I have a case officer allocated I would be able to apply the overseas police check. But this would take long time!! is there any way to ask them to give me the referral letter earlier?

hello guys

i am so new here and have some question from you experienced :)

i have lodged my application on 2nd july and 6th of aug my case officer appeared with request of my CV and 8 years income evidence and form 80 for my wife.

but before him another team ask some miss-filled section of form 1221 and 80 of mine. i also did my PCC and medical on next week after my lodge.

and from that day i have been in dark side and know nothing.

my question is :

steps of the process is like what?

like:

1: lodge

2: a team to prepare dox

3: case officer

4: internal Check

5: external security check

6: grant or refused

or like:

4: external security Check

5: internal check

or internal and external can be done beside each other.

i am from iran and of course a high risk country .

• 5 months later...

Hello Ramin,

I am in the same situation with you. I applied for 190 in same month and no news so far. what is happened for your PR?

did you get it?

I am from Iran too.

hello guys

i am so new here and have some question from you experienced :)

i have lodged my application on 2nd july and 6th of aug my case officer appeared with request of my CV and 8 years income evidence and form 80 for my wife.

but before him another team ask some miss-filled section of form 1221 and 80 of mine. i also did my PCC and medical on next week after my lodge.

and from that day i have been in dark side and know nothing.

my question is :

steps of the process is like what?

like:

4: internal Check

5: external security check

or like:

4: external security Check

5: internal check

or internal and external can be done beside each other.

i am from iran and of course a high risk country .

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I've got my Skills Assessed in Carpentry and Joinery (luckily only took two months, although paid £510 for getting my documents assessed and & £767 for a technical interview) and submitted my EOI for subclass 190 on 25th May14. Does anyone know what the process time is for them to actknowledge the application.

Also do I have to wait for the invite before I can apply for State Sponsorship to WA?

Thanks in advance

Thanks scotsaway.

I've just read on immi that I have to wait for my invite and once I get this I can then apply for state sponsorship. Seems like a long process now but I guess just have to keep fingers crossed and wait

Thanks scotsaway.

I've just read on immi that I have to wait for my invite and once I get this I can then apply for state sponsorship. Seems like a long process now but I guess just have to keep fingers crossed and wait

If you are applying for state sponsorship then you do that first as once they sponsor you it will automatically give you an invite