holiday visa in anticipation of parent sponsored visa

Guest tahe49

My mother would like to migrate with me and my family but I have been told that effectively we will have to live in Oz for a certain length of time before she can come over on a parent sponsered visa (or something like that).

Does anyone know if it is possible for her to come over on a holiday visa, then come back to UK when the visa expires, then apply for another holiday visa.... until such time as she can apply for a permanent one.

One thing I was unsure about was if there was a certain length of time before you could apply for another visa.

Does this make sense?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tahe 49

Yes, your question makes sense.

My own mother now has a Contributory Parent visa, which is the one you have been told about. Prior to that, she had a series of the holiday visas you have also described.

To move to Oz permanently, your Mum MUST satisfy the Balance of Family Test and she must also be in reasonably good health. Please see here and focus only on the three with "Contributory" in the title, I suggest:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-outside.htm

My mother now has the Contributory Parent 143 visa.

The holiday visa is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/index.htm

My mother has had several of these, so sing out if you have any queries.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

thanks for the reply, both myself and my sister (my mums only children) are looking at emigrating so that seems to cover the Balance Test and my mum is in good health. In actual fact she has more energy than me and my sister together. She may be retired but she is no different to how she was 10 years ago!

Just one more question, do we have to be living in OZ for two years - meaning that she will have to apply for 3 x 1 year visitors visas or can she apply after the 2nd

ie

the first year we all go out together - us on permenant, her on holiday

2nd year she applies for another holiday visa

3rd year she applies for CP visa but comes out on another holiday visa while it is being processed

thanks

Opal

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Opal

Let me say in advance that I have left my reading glasses at home today. Without them, I am seriously challenged in terms of reading the screen! Please therefore forgive the typos with which this reply will be litlered.

The requirement is that the Sponsor (either you or your sister) must have Permanent Residence before the application is made. The sponsor also has to have been settled in Oz for a "reasonable period." The legislation itself does not define "reasonable period." However the Policy manuals say that two years would be the norm in most cases.

With regard to repeated tourist visas, it is not as clear cut as it might seem. Since the introduction of the Contributory Parent visa scheme in 2003, the Oz Govt has become quite hostile to the idea of allowing Parents to use repeated long stay visitors as an alternative to applying for a CP visa. Their argument is that a tourist visa cannot be used as a means of "living" in Oz.

They are more cautious with the over 70s than with parents under that age. You have not said how old your mother is. If she is 70 or over, she would have to get her own GP to complete a simple form of medical certificate for her. Please see here:

http://www.australia.org.uk/lhlh/health.html

I reckon that they take heed of what the doctor has said in deciding what to permit. My mother is now 86. After she turned about 75, DIMA started restricting her to six months at a time actually in Oz, but they made the visa valid for travel to Oz with8in 12 months of the date of its grant, and valid for multiple travel.

The effect of that was that for about 10 years, Mum would travel to Oz from the UK. After 6 months in Oz, she went to somewhere like Bali for a couple of weeks (from Perth.) Then back to Oz for another 6 months. Then back to the UK and she usually spent about 2 or 3 months here before starting the cycle again.

It was a rickety sort of arrangement but heck. If the family wants to be together, you don't moan about rickets, do you?!!

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gill

There just seems to be hurdle after hurdle with this CP visa! :(

Thankfully my mum is only 63 and is a very energetic healthy 63 year old, if fact she has more energy than me sometimes.

Hopefully this makes it a bit easier :?

Archived