Visa for Mother & Sister

Indikaya

Hi All, Hope everyone is doing well. Need some advice fellows.

I'm on PR & currently living in NSW. I have been here for just 2 months. I'm working as a Telecommunication Engineer. I migrated here along with my wife & little baby, who also have PR (176). Now my worry is my mother & sister. My father is dead. So both of them were 100% depend on me. I'm wondering, what is the best possible way to bring them here.

Please advice me guys. Thanks.

Firstly I assume you are in a country where there is no welfare state?

If your mother and sister are dependent upon you, then presumably you declared them as dependants on your visa application and in which case they should have got the visa when you did? If you did not declare them as dependants at the time, then this ship has sailed without them as your visa is already granted so you cannot add them now.

This leaves parent visa for your mother, although you would not be able to sponsor her just yet, you need to wait until you have been in Australia for two years. How old is your sister?

Thanks for the reply guys. By the time that I submitted my Visa application, I was not aware of the fact that, they could be included in the application. Bad luck. My sister is 20 yrs old now & she is fully studying. These days, she is waiting for her university to be started.

Blossom: Nop mate, he passed away in 2001, long time back.

I was thinking about enrolling my sister in a University here & take my mother over here in the catogory of tourist visa; just for the time being. Anyway better way, that you can suggest? Thanks guys.

Also can you pls advice me on the following. My sister has passed the HSE (Advanced Level) exam & she's got high marks to do Medicine degree (to be a doctor). Is there any possibility, that we send her to that university & then try to transfer to a University here in NSW (or any other state). Or at least, would I be able to get any scholarship for her.

Really appreciate your valuable input, as we are in a vulnerable state. Many Thanks.

If you can afford the student fees then your sister could study here if she can get a place. If the Australian government has any scholarships to give out, I would be surprised if they gave them to anyone but Australian citizens.

I would worry about your mother on tourist visa, firstly it is a short term option anyway and secondly, particularly if you are from a HR country the application is likely to be scrutinised carefully especially if both son and daughter are over here.

If you can afford the student fees then your sister could study here if she can get a place. If the Australian government has any scholarships to give out, I would be surprised if they gave them to anyone but Australian citizens.

I would worry about your mother on tourist visa, firstly it is a short term option anyway and secondly, particularly if you are from a HR country the application is likely to be scrutinised carefully especially if both son and daughter are over here.

Oh, Thanks for your kind response. Yep, I'm from a HR country (Srilanka). So for the moment, that would be the only option. (Sister as student, mother as tourist). As you mentioned, in that case also, I have to take my chances. :(

What do you think about my other concern. It's just a thought in my head. I go & talk to some universities, saying that i'm a PR holder & my sister is currently studying Medicine degree in SL. So is there any way to get in reduction in the fee (or scholarship); as you know it's quite expensive to do medicine here (about 36k per year).

Thanks.

No, you will have no chance of getting a reduction as your residency status doesn't affect her residency status which is what they will go by.

Did you use an agent? I am surprised they didn't point this out to you when you were filling in the forms.

Your mother won't be able to just live here indefinitely on a tourist visa. They will want fair periods out of the country too.

Does she have any other children except you and your sister?

No, you will have no chance of getting a reduction as your residency status doesn't affect her residency status which is what they will go by.

Did you use an agent? I am surprised they didn't point this out to you when you were filling in the forms.

Your mother won't be able to just live here indefinitely on a tourist visa. They will want fair periods out of the country too.

Yeah, I did use an agent. But they said, it's only me, wife & baby who could be included in the application. I'm really angry with them now.

Yes it's only me & my sister. If my mother can come here, what would be the maximum period she can stay? And what would be the fair period to be out of the country? If I inform the authorities that I want her to be here to take care of my baby (just 1 year old) & she has no one back in SL, would they consider that as an important point.

Thanks a lot. :)

Yeah, I did use an agent. But they said, it's only me, wife & baby who could be included in the application. I'm really angry with them now.

Yes it's only me & my sister. If my mother can come here, what would be the maximum period she can stay? And what would be the fair period to be out of the country? If I inform the authorities that I want her to be here to take care of my baby (just 1 year old) & she has no one back in SL, would they consider that as an important point.

Thanks a lot. :)

There is not necessarily anything to be angry about, it would always have been a challenge to bring them on your visa application.

No immigration would not consider your mother coming to look after the baby as an "important point" and as for her being back in SL well it is irrelevant because there is no visa for this situation now. You did not declare her as a dependent when you applied, you cannot pull dependents out of the woodwork later. The only visa she can get to live in Australia is the parent visa.

Regarding the tourist visa, there is no way of knowing whether she would get one at all or if she did get one for how long it would be. You can only apply and see.

Guest GeorgeD
If I inform the authorities that I want her to be here to take care of my baby (just 1 year old) & she has no one back in SL, would they consider that as an important point.

Be very careful...they could easily see this as being a very good reason NOT to give her a tourist visa...Tourist visas are for tourists. You can visit family and friends on a tourist visa, that is fine...but DIAC fully expect tourists to leave the country after a period of time and not come back repeatedly. By telling DIAC she has no-one to go back to in SL, she can't support herself, and you need her here is you basically telling DIAC that her intentions would be to remain in Oz...possibly in breach of her visa conditions...so they may not grant her a tourist visa.

My advice would be to go speak to an agent at this point. Don't start applying for tourist visa or student visas without some professional advice. A student visa doesn't guarantee anyone residency much beyond their course. Even for a doctor.

Your mother and sister can apply for a 12 month tourist visa if they intend to be tourists ( including leaving) beyond that, there aren't many options.

It may still be possible to have them added to your visa. You need to speak to an agent about this, and you need to do it quickly. The more time that passes the more difficult it is to prove they are fully dependent on you. For example...does your sister have a part time job while studying? Do you support both of them 100% financially, providing for all their housing, food, etc? It isn't easy to prove they are your dependents. Go talk to an agent. Your first agent may have told you the truth that they didn't qualify as dependents due to some of these issues...there's no guarantee. If the issue is that you need them for emotional support then that isn't really of any concern to DIAC unfortunately

This is a 176 visa that has already been granted, I am 99.9% certain that it will not be possible to add them now.

Agreed. That was why I asked how recently the father had died. If it was just recently they MAY have had an argument that they were newly dependent, but no. They will have no choice but to find other routes.

Op, does your mother have any other children?

My advice would be to go speak to an agent at this point. Don't start applying for tourist visa or student visas without some professional advice. A student visa doesn't guarantee anyone residency much beyond their course. Even for a doctor.

Op, does your mother have any other children?

George : Thank you very much for the advice. I'll go & meet an agent as soon as possible.

Blossom : No, it's only me & my sister.

Rupert : Thanks for the info mate. Really appreciate that.

Guest littlesarah

I don't want to be unduly negative, but I think you need to be aware about how transferring works. Credit for prior study will only be given for courses/modules in which there is an adequate match between the one for which credit is being sought and the equivalent at the new institution. Even within Australia (for domestic students) it isn't always possible to transfer directly from one degree program into the same level of a similar program at a different institution; especially with vocation-based programs where individual institutions may cover the same material in a completely different way (and where institutions are required by accreditation and professional bodies to cover certain things in order to award the degree).

I don't want to be unduly negative, but I think you need to be aware about how transferring works. Credit for prior study will only be given for courses/modules in which there is an adequate match between the one for which credit is being sought and the equivalent at the new institution. Even within Australia (for domestic students) it isn't always possible to transfer directly from one degree program into the same level of a similar program at a different institution; especially with vocation-based programs where individual institutions may cover the same material in a completely different way (and where institutions are required by accreditation and professional bodies to cover certain things in order to award the degree).

Thanks Sarah. Now I understand that it's moving towards impossible. Anyway Thanks a lot for all your valuable advices. Now I know that I have to look for alternative ways to get them here. Or else, I can let my sister do her Medicine degree back in SL itself & take them over here, whenever she is getting breaks from her studies.

We'll see. I might will have to make a decision on this. Thanks again fellows. I owe you all a lot. Really nice to be a part of POMS forum & have kind hearted people like you.

Anyway I'll go and meet an agent too. :) kudos!