Medical Examination and IELTs Test for RSMS Permanent 187 Visa

JayH

HiMe and my wife are currently in WA on a Working Holiday Visa but will soon be lodging a 187 RSMS Permanent visa. We are both from the UK.Does anyone know if we need to have a medical for this visa and if so, should we do the medical before submitting the application or after we submit the application?Also, does anyone know if we are required to do an IELTs assessment?Finally, is a migration agent worth it for this type of Visa or is it easy enough to do ourselves?ThanksJason

You don't need to do ILETS but you do need a medical.

When I did it I had to to the medical before submitting the application - so it all went in together - but that was with an agent 'decision ready' if you are doing it on your own I don't think you should do it before you submit, you wait until asked.

An agent can really help if your company hasn't sponsored before. It can be a bit tricky. Also, if you use an agent they can submit it as decision ready, which you can't do on your own. In theory this cuts your processing time by maybe 4-5 months. Doesn't always work out that way though.

Well we have just done the 186 visa ourselves, without an agent, it was approved in 5 months from submission to grant. Look up 'booklet 5' on the immigration site. That will talk you through the whole process. If you are a straight forward case, and just submit all the documents appropriate to you off the checklist, then you can easily do it without an agent.

Medicals are to be done in advance (as stated in booklet 5), we then included our booking receipts in the uploaded docs on our application. This provided the case officer with our booking ref, where he/she was able to access the records for that.

You also need to get the police checks done in advance too, and then colour scan and upload.

Basically, for an onshore application everything needs to be front loaded, this will also speed up the process for you considerably. I know we have had ours granted before a lot of others who submitted around the same time, or even before, and I put it down to being organised, getting all the required docs in advance, notarised etc, and making sure we had everything on that checklist necessary.

At the moment the new system is not recognising between DRC and non-DRC (agent submitted or not) so that does not appear to be speeding up the system for anyone. We got notification a couple of months in to say we had been deemed a 'valid application', which we understand to mean that the application had been checked and noted as having all documents present and correct, ready for a case officer to make a decision.

Have you done your skills assessment too? Unless you are on the exempt list, then you don't need one (again, see booklet 5).

Edited by Tickled Pink