Got my residency under RSMS visa 857: timeline

KittyB

Employer nomination submitted: 23 May 2012 at Perth CoE for COOK.

Visa application submitted: 13 June 2012

Acknowledged three weeks later or so

Visa granted Saturday 2 Feb 13. Thats 9 months and a couple weeks.

And now, after 4 years and 4 months, with two employers working me into the ground in unacceptable conditions in return for sponsorship promises they never meant to keep, i am PERM RES. i feel such a sense of freedom i can hardly believe it. i reckon that i will be cooking far more joyful food from now on. its like that movie "water for chocolate" where everyone feels what the chef feels as she cooks the food.

anyone still in the turmoil of the long wait for 857 applications, keep your chins up. this process has challenged my mental health, taught me the meaning of drudgery and how despicable liars are, but i got it in the end, and so can you.

Well done. Only two more years to go and then you are properly free. ;-)

yep! and in the meantime i can regain some of my old skills, get a phone contract, and buy a house!

i have a good working relationship with my employer so its not such a chore :)

Congratulations on your visa - it is a big relief.

I just hope your sense of 'freedom' lasts. I got my 857 in May last year and I don't feel in the least bit free, feel like I'm doing some kind of sentence....15 months and 5 days to go....

And watch out for mortgage providers, we just got rejected because we are on an 857 because of the clause that it could be cancelled in the first two years - so check they'll accept you first!

Congratulations on your visa - it is a big relief.

I just hope your sense of 'freedom' lasts. I got my 857 in May last year and I don't feel in the least bit free, feel like I'm doing some kind of sentence....15 months and 5 days to go....

And watch out for mortgage providers, we just got rejected because we are on an 857 because of the clause that it could be cancelled in the first two years - so check they'll accept you first!

Wow, just when you think you are free to buy a house etc. I have no idea how people on a 457 visa manage it.

I only have 21 months to go, but at the moment at least the main detriment is not earning the money I could if I got another job. Annoying, but not the end of the world. :-)

Wow, just when you think you are free to buy a house etc. I have no idea how people on a 457 visa manage it.

I only have 21 months to go, but at the moment at least the main detriment is not earning the money I could if I got another job. Annoying, but not the end of the world. :-)

They manage it because they have to have heafty deposits of 20%. If we had 20% we wouldn't have had a problem, but we were trying to buy with only a 5% deposit. I think it was the LMI that caused the issue (the insurance you have to have on top of the loan if you don't have 20% deposit) they wouldn't lend because of that clause. Thankfully we found another mortgage provider who did recognise the 857 and it's all worked out for the best in the end (better rate) but was still pretty hair raising when I was being told to come up with another $60k or wait another 15 months!!

I think I'd be happier earning less if I actually enjoyed going to work - it just feels endless when you know you can't leave.

They manage it because they have to have heafty deposits of 20%. If we had 20% we wouldn't have had a problem, but we were trying to buy with only a 5% deposit. I think it was the LMI that caused the issue (the insurance you have to have on top of the loan if you don't have 20% deposit) they wouldn't lend because of that clause. Thankfully we found another mortgage provider who did recognise the 857 and it's all worked out for the best in the end (better rate) but was still pretty hair raising when I was being told to come up with another $60k or wait another 15 months!!

I think I'd be happier earning less if I actually enjoyed going to work - it just feels endless when you know you can't leave.

i hope my sense of freedom lasts as well. my boss is a "live and let live" type of person who gives me a lot of leeway to make my own decisions so long as the cafe ticks along profitably

re the mortgage....yow! ill look carefully then. I've been with my bank for four years and have a lump sum which would amount to about 40% of the deposit on a unit, hopefully that will give me some clout and they'll be nice about the visa. if not, shop around!

would be a good marketing slant....migrant friendly mortgage lender.

Yes I know that feeling of relief only too well. I went straight out and bought a decent car after five years of driving a cheap on 'just incase' we had to leave.

i went out and bought a cheapie on which to learn to drive... I've been holding off learning and buying my first runaround because i didn't want to have large possessions to deal with and sell in the event of deportation...

i hope my sense of freedom lasts as well. my boss is a "live and let live" type of person who gives me a lot of leeway to make my own decisions so long as the cafe ticks along profitably

re the mortgage....yow! ill look carefully then. I've been with my bank for four years and have a lump sum which would amount to about 40% of the deposit on a unit, hopefully that will give me some clout and they'll be nice about the visa. if not, shop around!

would be a good marketing slant....migrant friendly mortgage lender.

40%? You'll be fine - you'll have your pick of lenders to choose from with that!!