Age concern with processing time for a Skill Select 189

Erwan

Hi guys,

I'm really concerned right now about my chance for an independant Skill Select because of time concern :

To make it simple: I'm currently 32, will turn 33 by July 2013.

Right now, I have done nothing except the IELTS exam.

I should have the 60pts required since i am in the 25-32 range, I have a Master of Science in IT, and 8 years of xp.

So let's say i really start to apply in the following days with all the papers, I will have to prepare my skills assessment to be assessed by the ACS.

How long should it takes?

Then I will have to prepare everything to apply for the EOI.

From there, do you think I have a chance to still be considered before July 2013? I guess that by then, I will lose 5 pts for the age range...

Thank you for your time and any help would be really appreciated.

But yes, you have 6-7 months. I would think that would be doable. I'm not sure what happens if they don't send you an invitation before your birthday though...

Yeah, I want to believe it's still possible, but when I see the processing times for some people, I'm crushed...

I didn't want to use a migration agent since it's a real cost in addition to all the visa cost, but maybe they would have some tips about my situation...

If they dont send you an invite before your birthday you will drop some points. You could always resit your ielts to boost your points ,what score did you get in the ielts.

How old were you when you finished your Masters ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If they dont send you an invite before your birthday you will drop some points. You could always resit your ielts to boost your points ,what score did you get in the ielts.

How old were you when you finished your Masters ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, that would be an option even if I would prefer not to. I don't have time right now regarding my "deadline". And if I do later, that means I would have to pay and wait again for a new EOI?

I got an average of 7 but unfortunately my lowest was a 6 at speaking, so currently no bonus points...

I did an online Masters with Liverpool from 2009 to 2011. So I was 31. What do you have in mind?

Edited by Erwan

- Could someone confirm me the age taken into account is at the time of invitation, which is how much time generally after the EOI?

- Also, I just read that there are other factors like community language skills for 5 extra points, and French is included. Someone ever heard about it?

If you are going down the ACS route - my issue was obtaining Reference letter's from part employers (I am Self Employed in the UK) and had to get a mixture of References (Agency's, 3rd Party Companies who were Outsourcing, The actual company) this took a lot longer as I was not "Employed" by the company so it was very hard and frustrating...start this process now...sit down and get all the details and start contacting past colleagues etc....again you may be lucky and have worked for only a few companies...I worked for many over the 10 years I had to prove and the ACS will only give you the relevant Work Experience if they are satisfied with the References (i had to get a few additional references and some Statutory Declarations)

Start early - listen to the people here. Double check everything - I made a mistake on my EOI which has so far cost me about 4lb in stress...time etc...but the knowledge from fellow PIO forum members is invaluable..

good luck

Thank you. Yes, i'm so stressed right now i'm can't even sleep since I'm feeling I lost my chance with the VISA...

I'm starting right now with all the documents and I will contact my 2 previous employers next week for Reference letters.

(By the way, does someone could provide a template that is required with ACS, please?)

Proofs of work experience are juste references letters stating your employment dates and job duties? No pay sheets ?

So I guess you succeed by now? Are you in Oz?

I passed the ACS assessment after 2nd attempt (1st attempt didn't take into account some of the Work Experience references I submitted) - so it's worth getting these right. Will scan some of mine and send them to you. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you.

I didn't have to submit any pay sheet's

Yes, that would be an option even if I would prefer not to. I don't have time right now regarding my "deadline". And if I do later, that means I would have to pay and wait again for a new EOI?

I got an average of 7 but unfortunately my lowest was a 6 at speaking, so currently no bonus points...

I did an online Masters with Liverpool from 2009 to 2011. So I was 31. What do you have in mind?

Points for age among other things are taken in to account at the time of application (which is after invitation to apply)

My advice to you, don't fret. Start your application with what you have and in the mean while resit for IELTS with proper preparation (if you hadn't already done so). Getting a 7 in speaking isn't very hard.

You can get additional points for community language either through having an Australian equivalent bachelor's degree in it or by having yourself accredited through NAATI. My advise, again, would be to improve your IELTS. It's the least time, efforts intensive while it can be done in parallel to your application. One more thing, I'd advise getting more points than 60 for immigration so you are more than likely to be invited early.

Edited by Rezasol

Points for age among other things are taken in to account at the time of application (which is after invitation to apply)

My advice to you, don't fret. Start your application with what you have and in the mean while resit for IELTS with proper preparation (if you hadn't already done so). Getting a 7 in speaking isn't very hard.

You can get additional points for community language either through having an Australian equivalent bachelor's degree in it or by having yourself accredited through NAATI. My advise, again, would be to improve your IELTS. It's the least time, efforts intensive while it can be done in parallel to your application. One more thing, I'd advise getting more points than 60 for immigration so you are more than likely to be invited early.

By time of application, you mean after the waiting time you have to wait when you submit your EOI.

At first I thought it was at the time of submitting your EOI, so I was good, but now I depend of their will and processing time, which is freaking me out since I will have to pay the visa fees of $3000 with slim chance to be selected on time before mid-July...

I looked about the community language thing, but you need to be accredited, which is another timely and costly process I can't afford right now given I'm short on time.

Basically, my chances are right now low because of this lowest 6 in IELTS, while I was confident to score at least 7 everywhere. These extra 10 pts would have save me all this stress...

But resit the IELTS right now would postpone my application so i can't do that.

Thank you,

By time of application, you mean after the waiting time you have to wait when you submit your EOI.

At first I thought it was at the time of submitting your EOI, so I was good, but now I depend of their will and processing time, which is freaking me out since I will have to pay the visa fees of $3000 with slim chance to be selected on time before mid-July...

I looked about the community language thing, but you need to be accredited, which is another timely and costly process I can't afford right now given I'm short on time.

Basically, my chances are right now low because of this lowest 6 in IELTS, while I was confident to score at least 7 everywhere. These extra 10 pts would have save me all this stress...

But resit the IELTS right now would postpone my application so i can't do that.

Thank you,

First, $3000~ application fee is paid at the time of lodging an application and not at the time of EoI.

For your convenience,

IELTS/Assessment => EoI => Waiting for an invitation => lodging an application (once you're invited to do so)

Have you considered state sponsorship for your nominated occupation?

Secondly, as per the below linked site, you can change your circumstances even after lodging an EoI. Others may shed more light on it but I am guessing that if you retake your IELTs and score higher, you can gain more points in the application.

Check this:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/faqs/

Edited by Rezasol
error

THanks for your help!

At least i'm a bit relieved about the visa fees.

So yeah I guess I can just submit my EOI, wait until July, and if I'm not invited before, I will resit the IELTS and will update my EOI, with hopefully 10 extra points.

About the state sponsorship, I heard you can apply to both with your EOI? Does that mean I can submit an EOI with 189 and 190 applications together, if by any chance i get nominated by a region faster than being independant?

Initially, I would have love to live in Sydney but if I have to go in Perth or Melbourne that would be fine at least for a while.

THanks for your help!

At least i'm a bit relieved about the visa fees.

So yeah I guess I can just submit my EOI, wait until July, and if I'm not invited before, I will resit the IELTS and will update my EOI, with hopefully 10 extra points.

About the state sponsorship, I heard you can apply to both with your EOI? Does that mean I can submit an EOI with 189 and 190 applications together, if by any chance i get nominated by a region faster than being independant?

Initially, I would have love to live in Sydney but if I have to go in Perth or Melbourne that would be fine at least for a while.

If I am not wrong, you can select 190 as well in the skillselect however you would've to apply to individual states by yourself. Again, I haven't gone through the process myself so can't really say.

I have another concern: my highest diploma is an UK Masters of Science was done online just a couple of years ago.

So does my whole professional experience (8 years) accomplished before will not count with ACS/DIAC?

Again, I wouldn't particularly know about your specific circumstances but I can refer my scenario for you:

For the requisite years of experience, DIAC considered the period right after my award of bachelor's and not my highest qualification i.e. ACCA (which is sort of equivalent to a Masters everywhere else but was equal to australian bachelor's). I am not sure how Vetassess is going to view the same but if you have a bachelor's before your work experience, I don't think you should've a problem with DIAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have finally collected all required documents for the ACS skills assessment.

1) Is there different priority between the occupations? I'm still hesitating between "software engineer" and "developer programmer" as I was mostly a web developer and manager.

i'm hoping to get invited ASAP before I drop 5 points for age in July.

2) some people say they included a resume with their ACS application, this is not required, right?

thanks