Help required with CSA query

Guest Sarah & Dave

Guest Sarah & Dave

I would like to know if anyone could help me and my husband with a question that we have, as we are finding it difficult to get an answer.

We are moving to Australia at the end of August next year and my husband has an 8 year old son from a previous relationship who will be staying behind with his natural mother. Dave is currently paying child maintenance through an organisation called CSA on a weekly basis. Our question is what do we do when we leave the UK as my husband wants to still pay for his son, but would rather give it straight to the mother so he knows his son will see all of it and not the government, the only problem is that the mother is on income support and all the other benefits as she is classed as disabled, would this affect her payments if she was getting money straight from my Dave into her bank acct as her payments are subsidised by the local council due to being a single mother etc.

We really don't know where we stand legally or what we are to do in this circumstance.

Guest keegsandkell

Your husbands ex is entitled to receive up to £20 per week without affecting her benefits but I suppose your husband has to pay more than that. 8)

If so you can set up a one month Aussie Dollar Fixed Term Account in an offshore bank account for himself and a PAYE family friend who has a bank account in UK, before you go to Oz http://www.treasury.lloydstsb-offshore.com . 8)

When your hubby deposits aussie dollars into the FTC, after a month the bank will transfer it into sterling at a decent rate and pay it into the friends bank account ( telegraphic tranfer takes approx 2 days) back in UK and he gives it to your hubby's ex. 8)

You have to agree to pay 15% of the interest every month (which wouldn't be much) and the bank will not reveal your identity to UK Tax Office. Speak to Andrew Burlison on 01534 284519. 8)

If this doesn't work you could try sending it through the post ( a bit risky) and she will only get the tourist rate which at the moment is about AUD 2.67 for a pound. 8)

All the best

Dave and Penny. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Guest paulocon

Hiya Sarah and Dave,

I'm gonna be in the same situation - if we get accepted!!!

I Have two children who live with my ex partner - so if we migrate I will have to contact the CSA to inform them has I pay maintenance for both of them!

As yet I have not decided what course of action to take regarding re-imbursing my ex partner with her money - I might suggest sending her an annual amount to cover the same cost as the CSA payment.

Please let me know what you decide - and if you have any difficulties sending money back over etc...that would be a help to keep in touch with someone else in our predicament!!

Cheers and Good Luck!!

Guest nay and ivor

the csa has no power in australia and when you inform them that you are emigrating you case gets closed. there is how ever a australian csa which you can pay thorugh

nay

Guest Marie and Paul

We are also in the same boat as I expect are others.

We pay directly from my husbands wages, so as of Dec we have no home (comes with the job) or a salary, so they will have to cease payments. Like my hubby says we have paid enough over the years and not seen them for years but still paying, were the ones on the old system, and not been able to avoid holidays (last one 2002) so cant wait to get out there and have some money at last to spend on our family now. The boys are nearly 16 and 14.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest guest7744

Hi, As others have said, CSA have no jurisdiction there, so your case will close. You could start a Paypal account once in Oz & get the ex to open one here & then you can pay money through that which she can then transfer to her own bank account for free (if £50 or over), there is a small percentage deduction upon her receiving the funds from you though. You could also try Western Union transfers, they can easily be done internationally. Another option, if the ex is ok with it, is to open an Aussie account for the child and pay money into it & then the child can have it when they get older, for a 1st car, house deposit, Uni fees or whatever. All depends on your relationship with the ex!

Hope you get it sorted.

Nicky

Guest Marie and Paul

Nicky

Thanks for that, things are not that amicable hoping they can be it has been over 9 yrs now. Anyway the oldest child is not going into F/T education so it should be reduced for the other. We are going to tell her that it will stop altogether and then it is up to her to be nice and come to some sort of arrangement if she wants money.

Thanks again

Marie

Archived