just passed tra assessment as a carpenter any questions ?

Guest fred

Hi I have just passed my tra skills asessment as a self employed carpenter and joiner if anyone has any questions regarding specifics about issues arising from self employment, being asessed on experiance only ( pathway D ) or specifics about client references then please ask.

I hope I can help someone as I found this site a bit thin on specifics

Fred

Guest Scotschick

Congratulations. Hubby passed his couple of weeks ago. He is also a self employed carpenter and joiner (Skill Pathway B).

We have now sent our 136 application off and it arrived in Adelaide yesterday so we are now playing the waiting game.

Cheers

Scotschick

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rachael

Hi Fred,

We are just starting the process and will start to compile my hubbie skills assessment ASAP.

He too will be a Carpenter/Joiner and by experience. May I ask, did you compile a portfolio with signed statements, photos of jobs etc? :)

My hubbie has been a chippy since he was 17 (38 now) and has worked for builders (including his apprenticeship), himself and now we have our own building company. The company he did his apprenticeship for went down in the 80's! :(

How exactly did you get proof of your work?

Rachael

hi rachel

You have to to prove 6 years of specific work experiance ie only c and j work nothing else.

The esential bits of required info are

references from clients or companys stating when and for how long your husband worked . what the work entailed and that you were employed as a fully qualified c and j

references from suppliers stating what they supply you with how much you spend per year and how long you have had an acount

Tax returns covering your entire period of c and j

Dont wory if a company no longer exists you just have to state this in your statutary declaration and get proof of it from companys house etc.

as long as you can show you were paid, payslips bank statements aprenticeship info etc you will be fine

Just for reference I have had no formal training as a c and j and passed with no worries. The worst bit is getting all the references from clients although to be fair all of mine were very willing to help it just takes time

hope this helps Fred

Guest wardy

Hi Fred

we to are just starting out......starting to gather info on husbands job he is mechanical services and air conditioning plumber and welder {first class}

We have been told that you have to provide course details regarding the syllabus he did while at college doing his apprenticeship does this have to be the official details or can you just write what he did. We may have trouble getting them he finished it in 1987.

Thanks Kaye

• 2 months later...

We have just been accepted on 136 just the medicals and police checks to do my hubby is a S/E carpenter joiner for 20 years with C&G qualifications also. We still had to complete a lengthy transcript of the type of work he carries out projects invoices and techniques applied, as well as the usual letters from clients and suppliers. This took us quite some time to get it right very closely supervisied by the agency until it was just so.

We now need some advice on looking for jobs particularly if anyone knows anything regarding construction for heritage properties!!!! which is what we do here.

We have just been accepted on 136 just the medicals and police checks to do my hubby is a S/E carpenter joiner for 20 years with C&G qualifications also. We still had to complete a lengthy transcript of the type of work he carries out projects invoices and techniques applied, as well as the usual letters from clients and suppliers. This took us quite some time to get it right very closely supervisied by the agency until it was just so.

We now need some advice on looking for jobs particularly if anyone knows anything regarding construction for heritage properties!!!! which is what we do here.

Guest The.Colebecks

CONGRATULATIONS :D:D:D

Just waiting for the reply for ours .... :?

All the best with that final paperwork.

The Colebecks

Guest jeffandmichelle

Hi fred congratulations

im having problems with the tra because i havent worked at my trade consecutively for the past 6 years,

im a qualified solid and fibrous plasterer with city and guilds and a bricklayer with nvq 3

but i dipped out of hard work a few years ago and have been teaching construction at college and im also an A1 assessor for city and guilds but my problems are that my agent says i havent been using my tools regularly and the companies i worked for during my training many years ago have disappeared so references and suppliers are thin

aside from that just a did you know.

talking to a lead verifier from city and guilds today and all certificates have a sell by date of 10 years from issue that was news to me.

• 1 year later...
Hi I have just passed my tra skills asessment as a self employed carpenter and joiner if anyone has any questions regarding specifics about issues arising from self employment, being asessed on experiance only ( pathway D ) or specifics about client references then please ask.

Fred

hi fred, my name is andy,thanks for the offer of advice, i have been told that i need to be skill assesed, and have heard that it consists of building a stool, cutting a hip and some studwork, is that right. because i'm a bit annoyed i will have to do that and pay a £1000 to prove my skills, when i have trade certificates assesed to a higher level than that, can you also tell me how long it took for you to get your application form registered as i will be turning 45 on nov 23rd and not sure if i have enough time to go the independant route rather than sponsored....many thanks for anything you can help me with....andy gale

Guest AndreanDaz

Hi Andy,

If your in the uk you will need to have your skills assessed by vetassess which is entirely different from the previous skills assessment with tra.

I would suggest you have a look at the vetassess website, the next assessments have been scheduled for October but you need to have passed the 1st stage and paid for the practical test before the cut-off date for payment of the practical which I think has already passed.

As far as I am aware the next set of assessments are not until early next year and as you will need to have lodged your application before you turn 45 then I think this is a none starter and you may well have to go down the sponsored route.

Hope this helps

Andrea

Fred

Hi & many congratulations on passing the Tra skills asessment :yes:

I am just wondering how you applied under pathway D, did you start your application prior to September 07 before the removal of that pathway? :unsure:

We are waiting for the Tra to announce the new guidelines that were due Sep 1st 08 but have been put back (arrghhh!!!) So that we can start our application, my husbands a roofer, with an NVQ2 & 10 years exp. But if they dont hurry up & announce a date, or if the worst happens & the date is announced & its like a year away!!! We may go pathway E & get my husband another qualification in order to be accepted, which will cost us alot more money, but at least we can start the process.

Kelly :0)

Guest AndreanDaz
Hi & many congratulations on passing the Tra skills asessment :yes:

I am just wondering how you applied under pathway D, did you start your application prior to September 07 before the removal of that pathway? :unsure:

We are waiting for the Tra to announce the new guidelines that were due Sep 1st 08 but have been put back (arrghhh!!!) So that we can start our application, my husbands a roofer, with an NVQ2 & 10 years exp. But if they dont hurry up & announce a date, or if the worst happens & the date is announced & its like a year away!!! We may go pathway E & get my husband another qualification in order to be accepted, which will cost us alot more money, but at least we can start the process.

Kelly :0)

Hi Kelly,

The original post was made in July 07 before the removal of pathway d.

Andrea

Archived