IELTS - Academic or General

Petar Petrovic

Hi guys,

I have one question. My situation is this. I passed Academic IELTS test and I got marks above 7 in all four components which was enough and required for positive Skills assessment.

With this score, I can claim 10 points, e.g. for visa subclass 189.

Now, am I allowed to take General IELTS test, and, am I allowed to claim 20 points on English language requirement if I get at least 8 in all four test components .

This way I would have 65 points instead of 55. (I believe it is easier to score 8 on general than on academic...)

This is what IMMI says:

"There are two IELTS tests—an academic test and a general training test. You need to take only the general test unless otherwise advised by your skills assessing authority.

"

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-189/

Thank you very much for clarifying this for me.

Thanks.

I know that DIAC would accept my Academic IELTS, but would it accept my General IELTS (having all written concerns in mind)?

I think they will accept either Academic or General. But I think it's best for fellow accountants on here to answer. Maybe do a search on here for other accountants who may have had the same issue as you?

• 11 months later...

Hi Petar,

Would you please be kind to share the outcome of your application?

I am facing a similar situation where my skills assessing authority (ICAA) requires a minimum 7 on each band in the Academic module however I must obtain a minimum of 8 in each band for this visa. Were your scores from the General Training module accepted by DIAC or were you required to retake the Academic module?

Any body else on the forum may please provide their insights as well.

Thanks

Edited by wanderingwheels