Turning 50 while on a temporary 457 visa

Guest Marnie

Guest Marnie

Hi all,

My husband and i are only just looking into Australia but we are both in our 40's already. We would like to go after i have trained as a midwife but it doesn't look like we will be able to accumulate enough points for PR. One option i can see is a temporary visa (457) for skilled occupations sponsored by an employer. This allows the visa holder to work in Australia for upto 4 years. What i'm trying to find out is what the options are after this. If you are over 50 when the visa expires, is there any way to get permanent residency or would it mean coming home again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to PIO.

I think with the new rules if you turn 50 while still on 457 and PR has not been lodged, I do not think you are eligible for ENS as you must be under 50, as you would not qualify for the exemptions.

It is possible to get sponsored for PR by an employer without going out on 457 first - by RSMS or ENS. But once you have been working for an employer for 2 years on 457 they can sponsor you for PR without requiring a skills assessment. As long as your application is lodged before your 50th Birthday.

maybe as you would be newly qualified - the RSMS may be a better option for you, as direct entry ENS requires 3 years of work experience.

Perhaps speak to a RMA to go through your options to find best path for you.