What happens to PR status of citizen's spouse upon leaving OZ?

aster

If we move to Australia and then after a year or so decide to go abroad again for some years, what happens to the PR status granted to an Australian citizen's wife/kids?

Will it expire, thus requiring the entire process to be repeated again if we want to return to Australia sometime down the road?

If you havent gained citizenship during your time in Australia, you would need to see if you were eligible for a Resident Return Visa. http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/eligibility.htm

This confuses me, so if I get a permanent spouses visa how long can I be out of the country before it expires? Not that I am thinking we'll leave before we get citizenship, but would be good to know.

I think this pretty much sums it up. pr can return for 5 years then they need a rrv

(taken from immi.gov.au)

If you migrated to Australia in 1987 or later, your initial visa gives permission to return to Australia for up to five years. After that, if you want to return to Australia as a permanent resident you must hold a valid visa, such as a Resident Return visa (RRV).

Permanent residents in Australia should ensure they have a RRV that will allow them to re-enter Australia, before leaving Australia