Dual citizen, two passports, one in maiden name one in married name...HELP!!!

Guest laroo76

Guest laroo76

Ok, this is my problem, and I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they address it.

I hold dual citizenship Italian and Aussie, my Aussie passport had expired and so I renewed in my new married name, but the Italian one is in my maiden name as in Italy the women don't take their husbands names when they marry, so can I ask some advice please?

Normally I would leave UK on European passport and enter Oz using Aussie one, but as they are two different names, which name do I get my tickets in? If I check in with Italian passport, in maiden name, I assume they will ask where is my visa to enter Oz? So if I then whip out my Aussie one, its in a different name, will this cause chaos? We are thinking of doing our stopover in USA which will mean having to get a visa for USA and I will have to make sure its in the correct passport/name??!! Its so painful!! Any advice is appreciated. I just wish I could change my Italian one to my married name and then there would be no problems....argh!!:arghh:

Any advice would be appreciated!!

To make life easy for yourself, travel under your married name with your Oz passport only. We went to Italy last year, there was no problem at all entering Italy or any other country in Europe using just an Oz passport. No longer queue's than those using Italian Passports.

Guest GoldCoastMag

Alternately you could get your name changed back to your own in your Australian passport. Even in Australia it isnt mandatory to use your husbands name and a marriage certificate is proof of your marriage status if it is needed.

To make life easy for yourself, travel under your married name with your Oz passport only. We went to Italy last year, there was no problem at all entering Italy or any other country in Europe using just an Oz passport. No longer queue's than those using Italian Passports.

Ummm, I'm not an expert in Italian law, but almost every nation requires its citizens to enter its territory using its passport regardless of any other passport held. Italy, I believe, requires its citizens to pay a tax when leaving the EU. An Italian citizen who does not get their departure tax stamp in their passport and avoids detection by using another passport is almost certainly breaking the law on the tax-side. Exactly what the consequences of that violation are, I don't know...

I'm a dual US/UK citizen. If I enter the US using my UK passport, and I'm detected, I could be charged with a felony, pay a major fine, and could face jail time (unlikely, but it is possible). So..., it would be best for the OP to check closely into Italian law on this before simply "forgetting" she is an Italian citizen and using her Aussie passport.

Guest laroo76

Ive been in the UK for 10 years, if I leave on my Aussie passport will they question why I dont have a visa? Do I just then show them both passports and marriage cert?

Ummm, I'm not an expert in Italian law, but almost every nation requires its citizens to enter its territory using its passport regardless of any other passport held. Italy, I believe, requires its citizens to pay a tax when leaving the EU. An Italian citizen who does not get their departure tax stamp in their passport and avoids detection by using another passport is almost certainly breaking the law on the tax-side. Exactly what the consequences of that violation are, I don't know...

I am also not an expert in Italian law but I seriously doubt there is such a thing as a departure tax. How would this even work? All EU countries set up a booth at their international border crossings / airports in case any Italians come through on their way out of the EU?

Ive been in the UK for 10 years, if I leave on my Aussie passport will they question why I dont have a visa? Do I just then show them both passports and marriage cert?

The only country that requires a visa PRIOR to entry is Australia, unless you have an Australian passport. all other countries in Europe will issue them on arrival, even using an Australian passport, so the easiest is to use your married name with Aust. Passport, as you are a citizen of Aust and using an Aust passport there will be no problem. Or you can travel under your maiden name but also carry a certified copy of your marriage certificate and Italian passport. You will need your marriage certificate and Aust. passport to get into Australia to prove you are eligible to enter as a citizen.

Edited by tisme

Guest laroo76

I'm a dual US/UK citizen. If I enter the US using my UK passport, and I'm detected, I could be charged with a felony, pay a major fine, and could face jail time (unlikely, but it is possible). So..., it would be best for the OP to check closely into Italian law on this before simply "forgetting" she is an Italian citizen and using her Aussie passport.

I have always used my Italian passport to travel, I only use my Australian one when I leave or enter Australia, and I have never ever paid a departure tax, anywhere in the world?!

Guest laroo76
The only country that requires a visa PRIOR to entry is Australia, unless you have an Australian passport. all other countries in Europe will issue them on arrival, even using an Australian passport, so the easiest is to use your married name with Aust. Passport, as you are a citizen of Aust and using an Aust passport there will be no problem. Or you can travel under your maiden name but also carry a certified copy of your marriage certificate and Italian passport. You will need your marriage certificate and Aust. passport to get into Australia to prove you are eligible to enter as a citizen.

I thought you needed an ETSA tourist visa when you go to the states? well at least I did two years ago, I had to apply before travel or you couldn't board the plane.

you will have to use your Italian passport to enter/leave Italy and your Australian Passport to enter/ leave Australia. How that works on airlines tickets is anyones guess- best to call the airline to check as they ask for your passport at the check-in desk and if the names don't match I guess it causes problems.

As for depatrue taxes - everyone pays a departure tax - its included in your ticket - from England its about £350 odd or more. You will always pay it no matter what country you are from from.

When I first married I did not change my name in my passport and we were leaving London and they did not want to let me on the plane, we were booked as Mr and Mrs ........... and my passport had my maiden name. Fortunately we were joining a ship so were taking all our belongings with us and we had our marriage certificate which they checked.

So if you are flying single name book single name.

I thought you needed an ETSA tourist visa when you go to the states? well at least I did two years ago, I had to apply before travel or you couldn't board the plane.

I was referring to the countries that concerned the OP, ie. Italy, UK, or Europe and Australia, of course a visa is required to enter the US, but the US was never mentioned in the original post.

Edited by tisme

If you travel using your married name and intend to use your Italian passport to enter and leave Italy I would suggest you carry a certified copy of your marriage certificate and a legal translation to Italian of the marriage certificate if it is written in English.

I would still go down the easy route of using just my Oz passport and travel using your married name. As far as the Italian immigration knows as will be stated in your Australian passport you are an Australian citizen.

Travel in married name, since the airline will need your australian passport details to let you on the plane back to Australia.

You can however still go through Italian immigration using your italian passport. If you carry your marriage certificate along as well as the two passports, there won't be any issue, even if the airport you depart through happens to ask to see both your passport and ticket when you go through to departures (most don't in my experience).

For future, if you want to use your married name, should be possible to get your name changed by deed-poll in Italy, and get passport issued in that new name.

You can't leave on your Aussie passport because it won't have an entry stamp. You can however give the airline your aussie passport details and check-in on that one, and then show your Italian passport to the immigration officers when you go through to departures.

What you show at check-in is used to check you can get into Australia at the far end of the flight. What you show at immigration is the passport relevant to entering/leaving the country you're in.

Edited by RockDr

Guest laroo76

Thanks for all the replies, I think I confused a few people, although I have a Italian passport I am a UK resident, thats where I live and will be departing from. I might try and see if the Italians allow me to change to my maiden name somehow to save the hassle, but generally speaking they dont take their husbands name, but I think I will investigate further. Thanks for your replies though.

Guest laroo76
I was referring to the countries that concerned the OP, ie. Italy, UK, or Europe and Australia, of course a visa is required to enter the US, but the US was never mentioned in the original post.

Hi

I was the OP and I asked about going via the USA in my original post, as I was concerned about getting the visa for the USA on the stopover.

But thanks anyway

I am also not an expert in Italian law but I seriously doubt there is such a thing as a departure tax. How would this even work? All EU countries set up a booth at their international border crossings / airports in case any Italians come through on their way out of the EU?

Yes, there is a "Marco di Bollo," which is a stamp that must be purchased (usually in a tobacco shop). You must renew every year. There is no enforcement outside of Italy. So, yes, if an Italian leaves Italy for another EU nation and then gets on plane and leaves the EU, he/she will be fine. They can even enter Italy with an expired stamp. However, they will not be permitted to board a plane in Italy without an updated stamp. I can't find any official sites in English, but this forum explains it pretty well:

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/marco-di-bollo-t1586.html

I have always used my Italian passport to travel, I only use my Australian one when I leave or enter Australia, and I have never ever paid a departure tax, anywhere in the world?!

Departure tax may have not been the proper phrasing. You need to have an updated Marco di Bollo. If you do not have an updated Marco di Bollo, as an Italian citizen, you would not be allowed to board a plane leaving Italy for a non-EU nation. This is essentially a departure tax levied by Italy on its citizens. It is not an issue in Australia, the UK, or any nation other than Italy. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, there is a "Marco di Bollo," which is a stamp that must be purchased (usually in a tobacco shop). You must renew every year. There is no enforcement outside of Italy. So, yes, if an Italian leaves Italy for another EU nation and then gets on plane and leaves the EU, he/she will be fine. They can even enter Italy with an expired stamp. However, they will not be permitted to board a plane in Italy without an updated stamp. I can't find any official sites in English, but this forum explains it pretty well:

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/marco-di-bollo-t1586.html

Highly interesting, thank you! Sounds to me its more like a passport tax rather than a departure tax, these are usually collected at the airport or while purchasing the ticket.

Guest laroo76
Highly interesting, thank you! Sounds to me its more like a passport tax rather than a departure tax, these are usually collected at the airport or while purchasing the ticket.

I have had my Italian passport for over13 years and have never been to any tobacco shop to purchase a stamp? I reside in the UK but have been in and out of Italy nearly every year and have never been asked to renew any such stamp? Stange!