General vs academic ielts

dinkydoo

If you 'only' need the general, you can do either the general or the academic, if you need the academic though, you can only do the academic.

I did the academic for my 20 points for DIAC and my 176 visa (as I might need the academic version for my teacher's registration once we get there, and didn't fancy doing it twice! :D)

If you 'only' need the general, you can do either the general or the academic, if you need the academic though, you can only do the academic.

I did the academic for my 20 points for DIAC and my 176 visa (as I might need the academic version for my teacher's registration once we get there, and didn't fancy doing it twice! :D)

Is the academic or the general IELTS test easier?

HI I done the IELTS General test on 21/01/12. I got 8.0 Listening 6.0 Reading 8.5 Writing 9.0 Speaking overal score 8. Iam waiting on my Agent to tell me if this is good enough. I dont know if i need a 7 or more on all of the 4 parts or just an overall score of 7 or more. If anyone here knows i'd like the advice :)

HI I done the IELTS General test on 21/01/12. I got 8.0 Listening 6.0 Reading 8.5 Writing 9.0 Speaking overal score 8. Iam waiting on my Agent to tell me if this is good enough. I dont know if i need a 7 or more on all of the 4 parts or just an overall score of 7 or more. If anyone here knows i'd like the advice :)

I'm afraid if you need 7, then you need at least 7 in each part, not just an average score. Soz :(

Hi Dinkydoo,

Miss you on the Cat 4 forum. I'm pretty sure you will need to sit the General IELTS test. For 10 points a score of 7 in each component is required and for 20 points a score of 8 or more in each component is required.

How is your new application progressing? Are you going down the state sponsored road this time? Did you use an agent?

SHandGH

Do you have to do the general test for immigration purposes or can you do the academic if you wish?

Hi

Yes we have applied for SS and are awaiting our outcome!

Hubby getting very frustrated about doing the IELTS and worried about running out of time, he got his results on Saturday and missed out on half a point in writing and a point in reading.

Hope you are well? I do pop on to cat 4 to see how you are all getting on, fingers crossed our day will come too!

Hubby getting very frustrated about doing the IELTS and worried about running out of time, he got his results on Saturday and missed out on half a point in writing and a point in reading.

Really have a think about getting a tutor for an hour or two - it might help pinpoint exactly where he is dipping and will also give him a boost of confidence. Just make sure it is a qualified and experienced tutor, not just an A level student or someone. First Tutors is a good website to find someone local, or look in local newsagents windows. Alternatively, if you have a boarding school near you, a lot of them have international students who sit the IELTS, so try contacting them as well to see if they have any staff that offer tutoring or could help (ask to speak to the International Student co-ordinator).

It's a lot cheaper than to keep retaking the test as well, depending on where you are in the country it would probably be somewhere between £25-35/hour. Question their qualifications etc if they are charging nearer the £10/hour - cheaper isn't always better and is usually a sign that it is a student or an unqualified person giving it a go rather than someone who can actually help you.