What to do -I know someone is breaking the rules

Guest Caveman

Guest Caveman

Hi Everyone,

Another person I live with is a member of this site - but I wanted to register as a new user to ask this question.

What would you do if you knew someone who was in Australia on a 12 month tourist visa, but who was actively looking for work?? Surely it is a clear breach of this persons visa conditions. They are actively phoning around and looking for sponsorship, and have actually applied for at least one job that I am certain of.

Is there anything that can be done? Can it be done anonymously?

Should I bother?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tricky one, and I'm not sure - if you're sure they're not actually working on the tourist visa then maybe it's ok. If they're working then that's seriously bad.

If they've deliberately entered on a tourist visa with the intention of working then that's not someting DIAC will be forgiving about :( So many people work so hard and wait so long to come in legitimately. But maybe they just tried on the spur of the moment?

If you want to alert DIAC you can remain anonymous:

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/dob-in/#d

It's a tough one :(

Hi Everyone,

Another person I live with is a member of this site - but I wanted to register as a new user to ask this question.

What would you do if you knew someone who was in Australia on a 12 month tourist visa, but who was actively looking for work?? Surely it is a clear breach of this persons visa conditions. They are actively phoning around and looking for sponsorship, and have actually applied for at least one job that I am certain of.

Is there anything that can be done? Can it be done anonymously?

Should I bother?

Which visa condition is (allegedly) being breached?

Guest Caveman

This person came here on a tourist visa, and was asking about work within the first day of getting here. When told that they should not be, and what the potential consequences are, they have been very flippant and the attitude has been one of "it won't happen to me"

I find the attitude very frustrating especially after the hurdles every one else seems to have to jump through.

Do you think I can still report them even if they do not get the job they have applied for? Should I?

Guest robnnic

and surely if they are on this site they will read this and know its them and you that you are talking about...despite the change of username???!?!?!?

Guest guest17301

Why would you care...its not like they actually are working...I dont see the problem, how does it affect you. I dont think its wrong either just canny and opportunistic...why not?

Guest Caveman
Which visa condition is (allegedly) being breached?

I do not have a detailed understanding of visas, but I thought if you came to Aus on a tourist visa, it was against the rules to look for work. DIAC website says tourist visas are "for people to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short term non work purposes"

I have always been told that people should not be seeking employment on a tourist visa, and that they should apply for a business visa which allows them to look for work.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks

Guest Caveman
But why try and hurt someone? I guess they can't be a good friend?

Not a friend - but it is causing problems for a friend who feels they are being pushed into helping this person try and find a job

Guest Caveman
and surely if they are on this site they will read this and know its them and you that you are talking about...despite the change of username???!?!?!?

No connection to me at all.

I have not changed my user name either - I have never registered on this site before

I agree with you that they are in breach of their tourist visa condition. No average tourist will go to another country and search for a job, that's not what tourists do.

Hell, we're going over on a tourist visa while waiting for our 175 and we don't even want to make appointments with possible schools as we are scared it's breaching our conditions. I also don't feel it's right towards the people who are taking the legal route.

You have to do what your heart tells you to do...and live with whatever the consequences of that decision are....

Guest guest17301

Its kind of a grey area.....sounds like the person is looking for a way to legitimately stay here. Nothing wrong with that. People who come out on reccies ( often on tourist visas) often go see potential employers/look around for openings etc......its a sensible way to find out if you could potentially secure employment.

Just let it be - no good can come of reporting them - no-one's going to thank you for it. If it bothers you that much just ask them to find somewhere else to live. If they breach the conditions of their visa then DIAC will find them soon enough.

If your friend feels pushed into helping them look for work then they should just advise clearly that they can't do that. It's not their problem.

I'm not in favour of people breaking the rules but I just really can't see what good can come of formally reporting them. Not quite sure what you would expect to gain?

Live and let live I say.

I cant see the harm in looking for work , and returning on a work visa ,

but rules is rules , your call buddy .

I wonder what visa the wanted down under families go to oz on ?? short term business ???

lee

How would you feel about would be immigrants to the UK arriving on tourist visas, with the intention of finding work and staying there permanently?

Guest guest17301

Exactly Lee...how many people do you think come to Oz...decide they like it and make a few 'enquiries'. Foolish and mean spirited to suggest its wrong IMO

Guest guest17301
How would you feel about would be immigrants to the UK arriving on tourist visas, with the intention of finding work and staying there permanently?

If there are jobs to be filled and they fit the bill...no problem!

Guest Caveman
Exactly Lee...how many people do you think come to Oz...decide they like it and make a few 'enquiries'. Foolish and mean spirited to suggest its wrong IMO

I see a difference between coming to Aus and making a few inquiries, and coming to Aus with a ready resume and dishing it out on day 1. No intention to go back to the UK either - expecting sponsorship and to stay here permanently

If there are jobs to be filled and they fit the bill...no problem!

Personally, having invested thousands of pounds of my own money in ensuring I have the correct visa I would like to see that everyone else behaves in a similar fashion. The suggestion that it is okay to bend immigration rules for British immigrants to Australia I find ridiculous. When many would argue that the UKs permissive rules on immigration is part of the reason they want to leave.

Guest Caveman
Just let it be - no good can come of reporting them - no-one's going to thank you for it. If it bothers you that much just ask them to find somewhere else to live. If they breach the conditions of their visa then DIAC will find them soon enough.

If your friend feels pushed into helping them look for work then they should just advise clearly that they can't do that. It's not their problem.

I'm not in favour of people breaking the rules but I just really can't see what good can come of formally reporting them. Not quite sure what you would expect to gain?

Live and let live I say.

Not living with me - acquaintance of a friend - only reason I have asked the question is cos my friend is worried about it.

Personally I do think it is a bit wrong -surely that is not the intention of a tourist visa? I have family and friends who are going through the mill trying to get in to Aus, but they are playing it by the book.