IELTS Examination

Guest AB1977

Hi eceryone,

I am booked in to do my IELTS in mid February. Looking for some advice on the below items if anyone could hel much appreciated:biggrin:

1. Written Test.

Where it says at least 150 words and 250 words do you get penalised if you go above this amount? Do you have to stick to the

number count? I know in the reading and listening they are very strict on this.

Also I got the sample paper and in the back section where there are sample answere shhets it looks as if you get only two pages for

each section? Is this correct? Is there no other paper given for rough work?

2. Sample Papers?

I bought the offical sample papers. There is only 2 samples given and cost me €18 which I thought a bit pricey? Does

anyone one know where I can get past sample papers with answers? I think it is a matter of practice and time management on the

questions especially the reading!

3. Marking the exam.

I done a sample reading test exam and got 30 out of 40marks? What band mark does this equate to?

30/40 x 9 = 6.75

What band score does this equate to 6.5 or a 7? Rounded up or rounded down to the nearest whole number?I need a

minimium 7 in all sections.

31/40 x 9 = 6.9 What band is this? 6.5 or a 7?

32/40 x 9 = 7.2 This would be band 7 I would assume??

Any advice on web sites or any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AB

Hi AB,

No, you will not be penalised if you go above the 150/250 word count.

There will not be any additional papers given for rough workings, you can use the question paper provided in the test for the same.

There are lot of sample papers available on the net, you can google, I downloaded lot of sample material from many websites.

Rounding of bands -

6.24 = 6

6.25= 6.5

6.74=6.5

6.75=7

Its not simple division of 40 X 9 and they are different for Academic and General (except listening). For eg in Academic reading, you would get 8 for 36 but for General you need to have 38 to get 8.

All the best with your test.

Guest kianobeano

Hi AB1977,

My husband is also doing his in Feb. In UCD. We bought IELTS Practise Materials 2 €20 dvd included and Top Tips €12 with cd...€32 in total. Bought in Deadalus Building in UCD Bellfield.Says in the main book to photocopy answer sheets to reuse. Answers are also there too.

A guy rang him yesterday from UCD to see if he wanted grinds €60 for 2 hrs. But he also said if he practiced enough he wouldnt need them as its general test and he is a native english speaker. The points get rounded .5 up and .4 down to round off. We need 7 in all sections so fingers X !!! Practice, Practice !!!

Where are you booked for ? If you need any more info let me know. Let me know how your getting on with it.

Best of luck

Jen x

Guest jamesandstephcole

You get more paper in the exam if you require it, and yes you will get penalised for being under the 150 or 250 word count

As for sample papers... plenty on the web if you search about. and as for the assessment of your score for reading, the bands can be found on the IELTS website, but I fear you are in for some bad news, the general training banding is extremely high for reading.

if you want to get lots of practise papers... there is this guy I met down the pub who told me about this file sharing software that can be used to get loads and loads of sample papers by using torrents... but this is clearly copyright theft and I would have nothing to do with it!