How long is a Visa valid?

Guest kittyohara

Guest kittyohara

Hi guys

I'm dying to emigrate to Aus but my partner isn't as keen as he is doing really well in his career and it would be detrimental for him to upsticks now. But I want to emigrate while we're still young and not having to worry about kids etc (we're both late twenties), so I'm worried that by the time he's ready to start looking at a visa with the processing times etc, it'll be nearly a decade by the time we're out there. So what I wondered is how long you have between getting your visa granted and actually emigrating? Can I get a visa (it would be a skilled or state sponsored one methinks) and not emigrate for a few years? I thought this might be a better tack with my partner if we get the visa while we've still got those precious 5 points for being under 30, and then in a few years when we are ready we'll have the visa so we can just go.

I've been wading through immigration websites and trying to find this information but then I thought I'd ask the experts instead! Thanks guys!

Guest kittyohara

Oh that's brilliant, thank you so much! Looks like I've got around 3 years then! That is the best news I've had in a while, maybe all is not lost. Thanks Toomers!

Hi guys

I'm dying to emigrate to Aus but my partner isn't as keen as he is doing really well in his career and it would be detrimental for him to upsticks now. But I want to emigrate while we're still young and not having to worry about kids etc (we're both late twenties), so I'm worried that by the time he's ready to start looking at a visa with the processing times etc, it'll be nearly a decade by the time we're out there. So what I wondered is how long you have between getting your visa granted and actually emigrating? Can I get a visa (it would be a skilled or state sponsored one methinks) and not emigrate for a few years? I thought this might be a better tack with my partner if we get the visa while we've still got those precious 5 points for being under 30, and then in a few years when we are ready we'll have the visa so we can just go.

I've been wading through immigration websites and trying to find this information but then I thought I'd ask the experts instead! Thanks guys!

A PR 176 or 175 visa is valid for 5 years, but you need to go to Oz and validate your visa 12 months after your medicals or police checks which ever was first.

Also they changed the points system on 1 Jul 2011 that you now get maximum points for age ranges 25-32 of 30 points.

Please be aware as of 1 Jul 2012, that the Expression of Interest model is coming in to effect and you need to be invited to apply for a visa, therefore you are now compeating with everyone that has the same occupation as you and only a select number of people per occupation will be invited to apply at each round of nominations. First invitations wont be given out until Jan 2013. Having just 65 points may not be enough. Also you have to be invited to apply for the SS too.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/skillselect-faq.pdf