changing job 457 visa

mcgregordot1

As far as I am aware you will need to be sponsored by the new company. You can keep the same 457 visa. I presume (but I'm sure someone else can confirm) that the employer has to go through the process to be able to sponsor.

It depends on whether you are aiming to go for PR and under what visa. If you are looking for the employer to sponsor you under the Employer Nomination Scheme then there are rules about being with that employer for a length of time and being in Australia for a certain length of time I think.

IF you can, then I believe you can apply for your 175/176 when you are already there on a 457. We are not eligible unfortunately. Is your job on the wanted skills list? If so, and this is approved, you can work for whoever you like then.

I am not sure how easy the process is.

It also depends on the company to when it's done as it's their decision. DH had an interview with a company recently who said they wouldn't sponsor for PR for 4 years! They are concerned about people leaving as soon as they get their PR and going to a different company. I understand their point but it's not ideal when you have a young family and want to have some security.

Thanks Alaska

I just thought after 2 years I could apply for PR and it had nothing to do with the company that sponsored you, I will need to look into this and see what they are saying.

Unfortunately, that's a a very common misconception. Your employer must sponsor you for a permanent 121/856 ENS visa and if they choose not to do so, there's nothing you can do about it except find another 457 sponsor and work for them for at least 12 months before they are able to sponsor you.

If your 457 employer is willing and if you get skills assessment and can meet the experience requirements, you can be sponsored for a 121/856 at any time without needing to wait for 2 years (or 1 year with a second sponsor).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/eligibility-employee-subclass-856.htm Employee eligibility

If you can't find an employer who is willing to sponsor you for an ENS visa, your only other option is to apply for a 175 or 176 if you can pass the points test.