After 887 is granted - tax etc

Addy

I was wondering if anyone who has been granted a 887 PR visa can enlighten me about what happens with tax / centrelink etc. At the moment we are on a 475 and as such are ineligible to claim any tax refunds like the education refund or and childcare rebate. I have been told that once the 887 is granted that it is possible to claim these rebates and any centrelink benefits which you should have been eligible for, for the entire tax year in which the 887 is granted.

I can not believe that this is true, but if it is, I am a happy bunny! Can anyone who has been granted a 887 confirm or deny it??

Hi there, I have heard that as soon as you get your PR you can claim full healthcare under Medicare, claim child benefits and tax rebates. We have just applied for our 887 and hope to get the visa soon!

Hope this helped!

James

Hi there, I have heard that as soon as you get your PR you can claim full healthcare under Medicare, claim child benefits and tax rebates. We have just applied for our 887 and hope to get the visa soon!

Hope this helped!

James

Thanks very much. Yes that is true, but I was told you could back date the claim for the whole tax year... that's the bit I'm not sure about. It sounds too good to be true. :goofy:

Thanks very much. Yes that is true, but I was told you could back date the claim for the whole tax year... that's the bit I'm not sure about. It sounds too good to be true. :goofy:

That bit does sound to good to be true, but worth looking into though!

Best of luck,

James

Guest Trigby

yes once your 887 you can get some help its all about how much income you get. and you can register with centre link once you get here.

theres no child benefit here

you may get assistance with low income for the kids but again its something that you have to log after you do your 1st lot of tax returns.

family income comes in 2 parts part a and part b

you will be amazed what you can put though your taxes over here.

again you have to chill and deal with these when you get here.

You can't rely on these allowances and payments you need to be able to live without them and just treat them as a bonus!

yes once your 887 you can get some help its all about how much income you get. and you can register with centre link once you get here.

theres no child benefit here

you may get assistance with low income for the kids but again its something that you have to log after you do your 1st lot of tax returns.

family income comes in 2 parts part a and part b

you will be amazed what you can put though your taxes over here.

again you have to chill and deal with these when you get here.

You can't rely on these allowances and payments you need to be able to live without them and just treat them as a bonus!

Thanks Trigby,

We have actually already been here 2 years on a temp visa - therefore we can not claim anything. What I am asking is if you can back date the Part A and child care tax rebate and educational rebate claims etc back for the entire year in which the PR is granted as we have been here and paying tax in that time. we will not qualify for any other centrelink benefits as we earn too much.

I have been told that the claims can be backdated for the tax year but no one seems to know.

Has anyone who has been granted a 887 and done this on the forum?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sajjadsuleman

I had applied for 887 on 09/04/2011 and have been granted on 11/05/2011. The benefits claims can be made but these are from the date of PR grant.

I had applied for 887 on 09/04/2011 and have been granted on 11/05/2011. The benefits claims can be made but these are from the date of PR grant.

Thanks for that. I assumed it was too good to be true and someone had got things a bit wrong. :wubclub:

Guest chhina

Hi every one I apply my 887 on 23 feb 2011nothing update yet I ring them they told me still processing any one else wid same case